Are we crazy...thinking of only bringing carry on bags to Europe!

Cruising7in2017

23 hours ago, vjmatty said:

It is interesting though how the judginess seems to start mostly in one direction. I don't even get why those not interested in carryon travel would be bothering with this thread other than to just pop in and criticize.

I will probably never seriously do carryon only, except for a weekend at our second home which I keep stocked with underwear, lol!

But if I ever did seriously try it for a longer trip, it would be our upcoming cruise in October.

Transatlantic, out of a foreign port, with a connection on the inbound flight that has already been changed plus all the chaos at airports.

I’m spooked enough to at least consider the idea, and that’s why I’m hanging around even though I know this topic is a dead horse one!

4 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Been to China and Thailand for 10days.each. Granted climate was warm but went with carry on and back pack. Brought older socks, underwear, and shirts. Discarded them when used thus having room for souvenirs if needed. Worked out great!

On a recent TA from Miami to Amsterdam, I brought toiletries with me that had been already opened.  At the end of my cruise and before we left the hotel, I left them there to gain more room for the few extra items that I had purchased.  I didn't bother me leaving a can of shaving cream with 1 or 2 squirts left in it or a small amount of large bottled body wash.  

• Like 1

For at least the last 8 years, we've done vacation trips with one carry-on, and one backpack each. These trips included 2 RTW 2 month trips, with one of them with a China cruise within. Never a problem.

We travel with clothes that are easy to wash, whether by laundry of the bathroom sink. We wear our jackets so they don't need to be packed.

Haven't had any problems.

As for bringing back purchased items, some we shipped back.

One memorable experience when we were in China on a Viking cruise-flight-land tour: In Xian, everyone was enticed by the terracotta statuary souvenirs in museum shop. they weighed a few pounds, and were 1-2 feet tall. We saw people carrying those back to the ship, and on our flights.

As I had internet connectivity while in the shop, I googled the items, and was surprised to find the exact same items at Amazon. For less money, too. We simply ordered them online later from Amazon US, and since we were Prime members, free shipping.

So...that internet connectivity came in handy. Sometimes that unique souvenir just might be available online.

• Haha 1

What concerns me about carry on only is the fact that half the time the overhead bins are already filled by the time you board if you are not business or first class.  Now that everybody wants to do carry on it will be even worse. If there is no room left they insist they take your carry on to check.

It happened to my friend and the word "no" was not an option.

• Like 1

I also have done it both ways.  I am super organized after years of travel and have journeyed efficiently with just a carry on, but I didn't enjoy it, other than the obvious ease of moving from place to place.  I choose to take a large roller, a carry on, and personal item for most trips.  I respect others who just use a carry on, as long as their choice doesn't inconvenience me - I've seen people bringing more and more overstuffed carry ons and overstuffed clothing with pockets in the last few years and they fill up the overhead bins, seating areas,  and floor space quickly, forcing others to check their carry on bags.  I also agree with an earlier poster re:  more people who can't even lift their own carry on bags.  I can't count the times I've had to lift others' bags overhead because they're unable.  And yes, I've seen several people hit by bags dropped by people not strong enough to stow them.  I am not keen on handwashing on my holiday or wearing the same couple outfits the entire time - boring!  I enjoy dressing up on a cruise, having different outfits for different activities, and having lots of variety to choose from.  I have excellent rolling, connectable luggage pieces that are easy to move anywhere.  I work out regularly and consider moving my bags exercise, especially before or after a long plane ride:) Why am I even following this thread?  Like everyone, I'm seriously concerned about the lost luggage chaos going on, so I'm interested in what others are doing.  BTW, I have done a cruise with no luggage (I got it a week after I got home).  It wasn't fun, spending my holiday time in little limited, island stores looking for replacement clothing.

Best of luggage (and general) luck to all travelers, "carryoners" and the rest of us!

On 8/4/2022 at 1:22 PM, TheHawk1 said:

Perhaps the "carry on only" contingent could stop being so smug?  With all the "look at me, I just walk off the plane with my one suitcase and I'm good to go" attitude.  Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be the one sitting next to the person on the plane on their way home from a vacation where they've been wearing the same clothes (and underwear) for one week straight.

Just because I'm packing a carry-on only does not mean I'm wearing the same UNDERWEAR.  You can still fit quite a few mix/match outfits and underwear for each day if you wash your underwear and clothing while travelling.  Come on.

We did it a few weeks ago because we had to.  It was very fortunate I found out about the fiasco at the Amsterdam Schipol Airport ahead of time.  We would be flying from AMS to Barcelona and it involved 4 hrs of line standing and possibly missing flights.  If we would have flown one day later KLM was not letting anyone check luggage. Some of us do it because they want to and others like us were pretty much forced to.  It was pretty amazing to find out what we really needed and what we could do without. 

• Like 2

If it weren't for the travel snafus, I doubt I would be thinking about it. With the travel snafus, I feel compelled to. I've had friends do it successfully for years so I figure it's time to just get on board and do it.

As for complaints about taking up overhead bins, well, I quote the head of RyanAir regarding AMS:  You had one job and you didn't do it.  Let me know my bags will get to where I'm going and I'll go back to checking them, even if they are carry-on size.

Also, don't make me wait 60-90 minutes to get them at baggage claim. And while you're at it, if you don't want me to carry on my bags, stop charging me for them! And especially, stop charging me for them when you can't get them to me.

As for taking up other people's time or dropping bags on someone's head, I'm not that person. Plus, I *never* wear stinky clothes.

• Like 4

For much of my professional career I travelled alone Internationally extensively by air and rail and managed on a cabin roller and a brief case. -  a  smart charcoal grey trouser  suit and black high heeled boots  plus lots of pretty silk shirts and scarves gets you through in most settings. 

In retirement we have enjoyed the luxury of leisure travel and on transatlantics and cruises from Southampton I have been guilty of up to three checked suitcases of clothes on a “ just in case “ basis.

HOWEVER.... it was a real eye opener after our fabulous May 2022 Baltic cruise on Silhouette to find on our return that we had taken 2 large cases plus 2 carry ons and that we had more than a full case of clothes and shoes that we didn’t wear.  We ate in Murano every evening in (clean) smart and stylish outfits on a mix and match basis and changed into fresh clothes every day for shore excursions and sent out laundry every 2 days. Most of the “just in case” clothes could have stayed in the case!

With the uncertainties of baggage handling on international flights for the foreseeable future our September Reflection cruise we will be ba)ck to flying in with only the roller cabin bags and a personal bag each. We will be restricted to 10kg each in the roller cabin bags and I can easily lift that into the overhead bins without endangering anyone!

I really hope that things improve at international airports in the future, but I think that at present prudence advises avoiding checked luggage  if possible. 

• Thanks 1