Seeking "British Isles Explorer" Tips

What was that?

These cruises run from Spring thru the Summer. Do you have any suggestions for choosing a sailing date related to shore events or other considerations? I am looking at 2024, so no rush. But cabins are selling so I guess I have to start getting serious! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Did you see this thread on the next page? From what Ive researched, Jul and Aug seem to be the best months...although weather can never be guaranteed. 

Edited by WNcruiser
  • Like 1

I just booked this for late April 2024. Personally I wouldn't book in the summer months if you are attaching a pre/post excursion in the UK as many places have poor or no AC (if that matters to you). it does to me. Recent events show that the UK (and Europe overall) are tending to see hotter summers.  Crowds also larger. To me the 'shoulder' months (April or Sep)seem to be the best bet. I've been to the UK several time in April and while it can be a little chilly, it's also beautiful. To each their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, formernuke said:

I just booked this for late April 2024. Personally I wouldn't book in the summer months if you are attaching a pre/post excursion in the UK as many places have poor or no AC (if that matters to you). it does to me. Recent events show that the UK (and Europe overall) are tending to see hotter summers.  Crowds also larger. To me the 'shoulder' months (April or Sep)seem to be the best bet. I've been to the UK several time in April and while it can be a little chilly, it's also beautiful. To each their own.

Good to hear. We’ll be there in September.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Did you see this thread on the next page? From what Ive researched, Jul and Aug seem to be the best months...although weather can never be guaranteed.

Obviously not. Thank you for the pointer - and thanks to others who posted responses here.

• Like 1

Spring is a fab time to come to the U.K. It is usually very verdant and nature is busting out everywhere. The weather is never predicable in the U.K. last week we had the hottest day on record at 40  (104F) degrees. On Tuesday it didn’t rise above 15 (59F) degrees. So def bring layers and rain gear. You are primarily in Scotland so visit https://www.visitscotland.com website. Scotland is usually colder than England especially on the East Coast.  There is a lot of Viking history in the places you are visiting as the cruise visits the areas the Vikings had strongholds apart from Dover and London.
August is  the main school holiday season so it can be busy. September is also a good time to come. 

There is lots to do in Liverpool, including heritage stuff and the Beatles.

Belfast is also great, the Titanic Experience  is excellent https://www.titanicbelfast.com/experiences/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw54iXBhCXARIsADWpsG_zSb2Nr57-62qDMFE0T-XaH-IyMqsQeeM86xWIHclrP0zo8byto4YaAkLiEALw_wcB

Dublin is also a fab place. 
I’ve only been to Dover to catch a ferry as it’s our main ferry port to France. It’s famous for its castle. Dover is not too far from Canterbury- with a medieval cathedral. 
I hope you enjoy visiting the U.K. 
I don’t know how long you’ll be docked in Liverpool. If you have a late sailing you might have time to get a train over from Liverpool to York. Well worth a visit. It’s history is Roman, Viking, Medieval walls surround the city and it has a beautiful Cathedral (Minster) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Special thanks to Queenie 1603!

That is the value of talking with others - it changes your thinking. My initial thinking had to do with weather matters, but now I have a bunch of additional factors to consider, and have been reminded that weather is not the reason to travel.

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Special thanks to Queenie 1603!

That is the value of talking with others - it changes your thinking. My initial thinking had to do with weather matters, but now I have a bunch of additional factors to consider, and have been reminded that weather is not the reason to travel.

Based on some research we did on the best time to visit Scotland, we decided to book one of the May (2023) BIE cruises.  To add to Queenie 1603's comments, the number of rainy days is statistically lower in May.  Also, the midges are less of a nuisance in May and don't start to come out in full force until the peak summer months.  In addition to lush greenery and flowers, spring is a great time to visit if you want to see puffins - they begin to retreat in August. 

• Like 1

As one who was fortunate to have parents from both sides of the pond and who was partially raised in the Midlands, I would like to give some valuable advice from my Grandad.  When you find yourself in a pub, always drink the local ales.....🍺

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

As one who was fortunate to have parents from both sides of the pond and who was partially raised in the Midlands, I would like to give some valuable advice from my Grandad.  When you find yourself in a pub, always drink the local ales.....🍺

Jim, I thought everyone knew that! And that is another great thing about cruises, you don't have to drive yourself (but you still have to be able to get back to the ship...)

• Haha 1

Moonlion is quite right if you want to see Puffins. The best time is May/June in Shetland and the Orkneys. Fingers crossed they are there. I live in the North East of England and our seabird population has been decimated by bird flu. It has been so upsetting seeing so many dead birds including in  our puffin colonies. 
I’m sure you’ll have a great time,  you’ll certainly hear a broad range of accents during your cruise including the Welsh language when you visit Anglesey. Cheers 🍺

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:04 PM, Karry66 said:

The Edinburgh Tattoo is in August if you enjoy large events.

We were there in 2018 when the Tattoo started and while it was great fun to see the excitement and hear the groups perform in the evenings (our hotel was right under Edinburgh Castle) the city was in a state of gridlock and very, very crowded.  Many in our group complained that the traffic and crowds made it difficult to enjoy their excursions ... both the walking ones and the driving ones.

Although we didn’t need to use them on our British Isles Explorer in July this year, we took our midge nets with us as they had been recommended by locals on a previous trip to Scotland, including Orkney and Shetland.  Seemingly the midges get in your face, hair, eyes etc and the nets are used by those in the know. We used the website below to get a forecast of the midges (from 1-5) and luckily for us the forecast while we were there was level 1.  

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

• Like 1

I just checked and the only area in Scotland that is not level 1 is at Glencoe which is level 4 ie awful!  The site allows you to click on the level number and it gives a five day forecast.  It is reasonably accurate.  

Well, thanks to all for your helpful information.

I have made a reservation for the 2 September 2024 sailing on Venus (we were on her in January for the Northern Lights) in a DV1 on Deck 7, with a simple pre-extension in London, and the Bergen-Train-Oslo extension on the end. Also Viking air with business upgrade which worked well for us in January.

I'm bringing the midge nets just in case!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Well, thanks to all for your helpful information.

I have made a reservation for the 2 September 2024 sailing on Venus (we were on her in January for the Northern Lights) in a DV1 on Deck 7, with a simple pre-extension in London, and the Bergen-Train-Oslo extension on the end. Also Viking air with business upgrade which worked well for us in January.

I'm bringing the midge nets just in case!

Have been on this route and never a bug issue.  But then, living most of my life in Florida, I am probably immune.😎

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2022 at 11:27 AM, Moonlion said:

Based on some research we did on the best time to visit Scotland, we decided to book one of the May (2023) BIE cruises.  To add to Queenie 1603's comments, the number of rainy days is statistically lower in May.  Also, the midges are less of a nuisance in May and don't start to come out in full force until the peak summer months.  In addition to lush greenery and flowers, spring is a great time to visit if you want to see puffins - they begin to retreat in August. 

What are midges?