Testing changes

lv2cruisgrl

3 hours ago, jg51 said:

We didn't say that all  pre-cruise testing must end.  We only said that those vaccinated passengers who don't want  to disembark at ports that require testing ought not to be forced to present evidence of a test on Embarkation Day -- and ought not to be tested on board before consecutive cruises. 

Another way of saying this is ... Those vaccinated passengers who don't want  to be tested (such as "yours truly") should be allowed to board -- but should not be allowed to disembark at any test-demanding port(s)-of-call.

At this point -- given what the CDC has now done, and given the weakness of the viral strain -- nations that have had a chance to be fully vaccinated surely realize that they no longer have a valid reason to continue their "blockade," so we believe that they will very soon be dropping it, to avoid the continuation of self-inflicted economic harm.  Until those nations change their policy, however, a cruise line can certify that all disembarking  guests have been tested.

The thought process behind a country requiring all cruise ship passengers to test before boarding the cruise is to minimize the amount of covid spreading on the ship which will then reduce the chance that those that get off have covid.  Allowing those who don't want to get off not test defeats the reasoning behind the pre-cruise test in the first place (whether you agree with that reasoning or not). So I have my doubts any country that feels pre-cruise testing is necessary would agree to such a proposal.

7 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The thought process behind a country requiring all cruise ship passengers to test before boarding the cruise is to minimize the amount of covid spreading on the ship which will then reduce the chance that those that get off have covid.  Allowing those who don't want to get off not test defeats the reasoning behind the pre-cruise test in the first place (whether you agree with that reasoning or not). So I have my doubts any country that feels pre-cruise testing is necessary would agree to such a proposal.

Not in my opinion.  I am on a cruise in Oct, from Rome, which under the current rules I will need the test 2 days prior to boarding and will need to do this in Rome.  From Rome the ship makes zero stops in Italy, so there is that.  Final disembarkation point is Fort Lauderdale, really don't think Italy cares about me possible spreading it there.  My point is IMO the testing now is useless. 

21 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I am on a cruise in Oct, from Rome, which under the current rules I will need the test 2 days prior to boarding and will need to do this in Rome.

Assuming yours is the TA in October, we're on the 'parallel' cruise to yours back from Barcelona.  The difference is that Bermuda is still shown as a port stop on the way to Florida, and IF X doesn't pull that port from the itinerary, we'll be testing in Barcelona regardless of what X decides to do with regard to pre-cruise testing in general.

Since, unlike all other X Bermuda cruises, which initiate in Florida and quickly make Bermuda the first port to avoid additional testing, a Bermuda stop on a westbound TA also requires at-sea retesting of the entire ship 2 days before making port in Bermuda.  Bermuda has been clear that their rules won't change until at least Spring 2023.

If X decides to scrap the Bermuda stop, only then might we be off the hook for Barcelona testing.  I doubt that X will want to do the full-ship test, but who knows when they'll ever formally announce an itinerary change?!  This will be the first time this situation has been 'tested' since the restart.

18 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thank you for your opinion.  Unfortunately countries such as Canada require testing preloading.  The consequence of noncompliance is either the passenger cannot board or the ship cannot call on a port in that country.

@Arizona Wildcat is correct.  An unvaccinated passenger (over the age of 12 yr old) would be denied boarding a cruise to Alaska.  This also included any passengers not fully vaccinated i.e., the last dose of their vaccine was administrated less than 14 days before the embarkation date.

There is enough misinformation and confusion about some cruise lines relaxing the vaccine mandate and testing requirements that the ports are seeing more passengers arriving for their cruise not fully vaccinated and are being denied boarding.