What savings does AMAC offer with Carnival?

I am just researching options.  I see that AMAC (competitor to AARP) advertises discounts on Carnival cruises to its members, but apparently doesn't reveal the details of those benefits unless you sign up.  I am curious if they offer discounted gift cards, and/or savings by booking a cruise through its travel affiliate.

Anyone have the inside scoop?

Hardly competition. AMAC has about 1 million members to AARP 38 million. I certainly don't agree with their political agenda.

The discount is dependent on you booking through their agency and no doubt is a kickback similar to what other travel agencies might do.

I've looked them up in the past and they seem kind of fishy.  They claim to offer discounted gift cards but won't say how much until you join whereas EVERYONE knows up front that AARP gives you a 10% discount.  Also, I find it questionable that they try to do all things under the sun (insurance, travel, coin collector advise, political advocacy, etc. etc.)

Much like AAA, Sam's Club and other memberships, you go through their website to book.  They offer some of the same rates as directly through Carnival's website as well as some other rates and perks that are exclusive (like travel agents).

I just did a mock booking for a 5-day cruise my wife and I are taking in January.  Right now, I could book on their site for about $95 or so (roughly 10%) less than my current best rate offer directly on Carnival.com, so it would have been better than booking direct right now.  However, it is nowhere near as good as my booking that was done under the 50% off sale earlier this year.  There was also an exclusive rate that included $100 onboard credit, but much like directly with Carnival at times, the rate itself was about $100 more, so it wasn't any better.

2 hours ago, groundloop said:

They claim to offer discounted gift cards but won't say how much until you join whereas EVERYONE knows up front that AARP gives you a 10% discount.

AARP offers a 10% on Carnival gift cards?  Is this at certain times or every day?

33 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

AARP offers a 10% on Carnival gift cards?  Is this at certain times or every day?

It's always been that way. At least since I've been a member for 13 years. :classic_wink: Every single day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

and other cruise lines but you have to watch the restrictions on other cruise lines - e.g. a $500 limit on a Celebrity cruise.

• Like 1