Dolphin Discovery

Mediterranean_Honeymooner

You are obviously asking about the DD on Cozumel and we’ve not been there.
We have a home in the Riviera Maya and there are 4 DD sites here (Maroma, 2 in Puerto Aventuras, and Akumal). 

I can tell you we took our great niece to the Akumal DD and she loved it. She and one other girl booked the Royal Swim and had the entire pool to themselves. So they had multiple experiences and she even had an extra 30 minutes learning to train younger dolphins. A family had booked the encounter and they also had a lot of time to experience the dolphins. Other locations are busier so we took her to this location because it is usually much less busy…

So the DD sites we’ve been to have all been very clean with professional staff, and you do get one-on-one time with the dolphins. Of course many will advise not to use these types of facilities because the dolphins are captive. But I’m sure the up-close experience is something to remember…

Edited by blue_water

13 hours ago, Dan83 said:

We had a bad experience with dolphin discovery Cozumel in February 2020. I don’t recommend them. 

Please elaborate for the OP? Good feedback helps!

Edited by blue_water

6 hours ago, blue_water said:

Please elaborate for the OP? Good feedback helps!

I shouldn’t have mentioned it because I don’t like to relive unpleasant memories. My daughter was very excited about a dolphin swim. I had done the research and even called to verify she was eligible. They changed the requirements between when I booked and when we arrived. She was 1/4 inch too short and they made her take shoes off to measure. She was upset and so was I. Safety. Ok fine. But their response to the situation was what really made the day something I’d like to forget. No refund of any kind. Told me it was my fault. I was polite but their customer service was anything but. After more than an hour of trying to get something out of the day they put us with a ship sponsored dolphin encounter with a huge group. Had to wait another 3 hours just to get that. I had booked the exclusive swim for a small group and we ended up with the ship excursion masses. 

I understand your frustration. And if they shortened the minimum height they probably should have contacted all booked guests with that information. Although not the same experience, at least she was able to do the Encounter…

I was expecting something far worse, but I guess the moral of the story for the OP and others is double-check everything as you get closer. 
Thanks for sharing…

• 5 weeks later...