Help with Vancouver Hotels

grannynanny

I've been trying to get 2 rooms, 4* for 6/15-6/18, so far, my last bid of $90. was rejected. Here's my delima...

I found 3 hotels as backup in case I don't suceed with Priceline. For those of you who know Vancouver, can I please have your advice on the following hotes, are the decent, withing walking distance to Canada Place and Stanley Park, are they near public transportation and if they are in a safe area.

1. Century Plaza Hotel & Spa on Burrard & Comox (no A/C, do we need it).

2. Blue Horizon Hotel on Robson & Bute

3. Empire Land Mark Hotel on Robson & Nicola

Any info about these hotels will be greatly appreciated.

Nancy

Double check your first hotel listing (Century Plaza). The hotel listed on 1763 Comox is the Coast Plaza. This will change your description and impression of it, if you have done a internet search under the wrong name.

Double check your first hotel listing (Century Plaza). The hotel listed on 1763 Comox is the Coast Plaza. This will change your description and impression of it, if you have done a internet search under the wrong name.

The address for Century Plaza is 1015 Burrard Street. So, are any of these hotels ok to stay at?

All three hotels are older properties, probably okay but not great. None are really within walking distance of Canada Place. Closest will be the Blue Horizon on Robson, but it is also the oldest. The Empire Landmark is close to Stanley Park and probably the best of the 3. The Century Plaza is a little further from the waterfront and the downtown shopping and tourist areas, probably the third choice.

My choice would be the Landmark, Blue and Century, in that order.

I don't think you'll get a hotel in downtowm for much less that C$120-140 unless you try Day's Inn or the Travelodge. In any event, you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.

Neil, thanks for the reply. Old doesn't bother us, as long as it's decent and clean. We are not getting these hotels for any bargan prices, they will range from $557.00 to $665.00 for the 3 nights. I'm going to continue to try Priceline, and hopefully, before final payment is due for the crise more rooms will open to them. Can you tell me more about the Days Inn and Travelodge. We are only looking for some place to sleep, not interested in any kind of resort.

Nancy

Well, we went ahead and booked the Blue Horizon, it wasn't cheap ($67.00USD) for 4 of us for 3 nights. Will still try to use Priceline, but will bid for 2 rooms. The Blue Horizon has 2 queen beds and they said the hotel was redecorated 18 months ago.

If anyone who lives near the hotel wants, I wouldn't object to you checking it out and sharing your opinion.

Thanks, Nancy

Day's Inn is about 3 blocks from the Canada Place terminal. It is in an older building, but being a Day's Inn is probably okay for a 2 or 3* place.

Travelodge is a little further away, about a 10 minute cab ride to Canada Place. Travelodge is a 2*, basic but clean.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Well, we ended up booking through the Entertainment Book at the Renaissance Vancouver Harborside for $570.00 for 1 room for the 4 of us for 3 nights. Any thought on this hotel? I'm still going to try Priceline fo2 two 4* hotels, just waiting to hear what bids they have been accepting.

Nancy

Nancy,

Several months ago, I went on Priceline and bid $60/night for a 4 star and it was accepted at the Westin Bayshore...for $60! I was in shock! Still am!

The hotel is near Canada Place Pier. So, don't give up with Priceline. It may be that they are being flooded with more hotel requests, due to the cruiselines beginning their Alaskan cruises next month.

I see that people who are bidding for 4* are sometimes now getting the Marriott Vancouver Pinnacle which also looks like a nice hotel, w/a good location.

Anybody ever stay there and have a comment about it?

Well, we ended up booking through the Entertainment Book at the Renaissance Vancouver Harborside for $570.00 for 1 room for the 4 of us for 3 nights. Any thought on this hotel? I'm still going to try Priceline fo2 two 4* hotels, just waiting to hear what bids they have been accepting.

Nancy

I stayed at this hotel - got it through Priceline several years ago. It was a nice hotel, just as nice as the Hyatt IMO. Actually - I bid for 2 rooms for 4 of us and two of us ended up at the Hyatt and the other 2 ended up at the Renaissance. At the time, both hotels were 3 star on Priceline but after the Hyatt had a face lift, it got upgraded to a 4 star hotel.

The Renaissance is just a few blocks from Canada Place. Ask for a water view. Our cabin had sliding glass doors and a tiny balcony - enough to open up the doors and watch the ships sail in in the morning.

I would definitley stay here again, though probably wouldn't do it if there was another Shriner's convention like there was that year :)

I see that people who are bidding for 4* are sometimes now getting the Marriott Vancouver Pinnacle which also looks like a nice hotel, w/a good location.

Anybody ever stay there and have a comment about it?

Some friends won this on Priceline last year and raved about the hotel. This was their first priceline experience and they are now converts. It is in a good location.

Some friends won this on Priceline last year and raved about the hotel. This was their first priceline experience and they are now converts. It is in a good location.

The way things look for Vancouver and Priceline, right now it's either the Westin or the Marriott...and I guess you can't go wrong w/either...thanks!

Actually - I bid for 2 rooms for 4 of us and two of us ended up at the Hyatt and the other 2 ended up at the Renaissance.

Whoa...hold on a second here. In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna bid on 3 rooms for my family (wife, 2 kids and granny) for our July cruise. After reading the above I'm very concerned (never used priceline before)...is there a possibility that these rooms could be split up among different hotels?

Whoa...hold on a second here. In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna bid on 3 rooms for my family (wife, 2 kids and granny) for our July cruise. After reading the above I'm very concerned (never used priceline before)...is there a possibility that these rooms could be split up among different hotels?

Just bid them at the same time on the same bid. Then you will be fine.

Our situation was unusual in which we thought we were only going to use one room and the other 2 were going to stay in Victoria. About 5 hours after securing the first room, plans changed and we big again and got a different hotel. So it was two seperate bids.

When I did the bid with Coral several years ago-- we were also able to change rooms after the first night-- got a harbor view---upgrade at no cost.

Just wish I would have tried Priceline for my stay in Vancover after my Hawaiian cruise-----

Cheers and enjoy

April

Just bid them at the same time on the same bid. Then you will be fine.

Our situation was unusual in which we thought we were only going to use one room and the other 2 were going to stay in Victoria. About 5 hours after securing the first room, plans changed and we big again and got a different hotel. So it was two seperate bids.

OK great...thanks Coral. I got a little nervous there, as I never even considered the possibility of the rooms being 'split up.'

Booked a 2 night stay at the Westin Bayshore for $90 per night. This for the weekend before our July 31st sailing.

It was the first time I've used Priceline and it was a snap! Was I just lucky?

Archived