GenVisa Refund if Cruise is Canceled?

Clay Clayton

I am pretty sure the answer is no but has anyone paid for (so all you WCers don’t need to read any further!😂) GenVisa and later had a cruise canceled? If so, were you able to get a refund for the cost of GenVisa’s services?  

They want $300+pp for visas for Vietnam and Cambodia which is more than I want to pay (at least double if I could DIY but Viking isn’t providing the paperwork needed) but I really hate to pay it given the cruise first stops in Japan and those guests are having similar issues in finding out how to get a visa for Japan.  Plus Hong Kong where we are to board still currently requires a week of isolation so I’m not convinced the cruise is actually going to go…at least not on its advertised itinerary. Would hate to spend $600 for something I have no use for. 

TIA

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I am pretty sure the answer is no but has anyone paid for (so all you WCers don’t need to read any further!😂) GenVisa and later had a cruise canceled? If so, were you able to get a refund for the cost of GenVisa’s services?  

They want $300+pp for visas for Vietnam and Cambodia which is more than I want to pay (at least double if I could DIY but Viking isn’t providing the paperwork needed) but I really hate to pay it given the cruise first stops in Japan and those guests are having similar issues in finding out how to get a visa for Japan.  Plus Hong Kong where we are to board still currently requires a week of isolation so I’m not convinced the cruise is actually going to go…at least not on its advertised itinerary. Would hate to spend $600 for something I have no use for. 

TIA

Clay - we asked Viking the same question as we are scheduled for the Magnificent Mekong in September (new Viking Saigon has not launched).  We were told no they would not reimburse but insurance would.  We contacted TripMate and they said no.  We took the risk and will try to get reimbursed if canceled as you probably know the answer you get from Viking reps is not necessarily accurate. 

1 hour ago, spangler said:

Clay - we asked Viking the same question as we are scheduled for the Magnificent Mekong in September (new Viking Saigon has not launched).  We were told no they would not reimburse but insurance would.  We contacted TripMate and they said no.  We took the risk and will try to get reimbursed if canceled as you probably know the answer you get from Viking reps is not necessarily accurate. 

Thanks for the response.  Did you get an eVisa or a visa in your passport?

4 hours ago, spangler said:

However, once you make a claim against the insurance, it can't be rolled over to another cruise -- and the insurance probably costs more than the visas.

If you bought the insurance from Viking, I believe policy is canceled and the premium is refunded; therefore, there will be no insurance in force to claim against. That is another point for Viking to clarify.

It is very complicated and it seems that whatever you do, you will be out of pocket, either for the insurance or for the cost visa or for both.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks for the response.  Did you get an eVisa or a visa in your passport?

Per Viking, the eVisa is not acceptable for the Mekong Cruise.  We need a multiple visit visa as we transit in and out of Vietnam a couple times by boat and air.  eVisa does not permit for that.  

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

However, once you make a claim against the insurance, it can't be rolled over to another cruise -- and the insurance probably costs more than the visas.

If you bought the insurance from Viking, I believe policy is canceled and the premium is refunded; therefore, there will be no insurance in force to claim against. That is another point for Viking to clarify.

It is very complicated and it seems that whatever you do, you will be out of pocket, either for the insurance or for the cost visa or for both.

Good to know we might receive a refund for the insurance.  But as you mentioned it is complicated.  It is better than nothing in some way.  Thanks for the response.  

5 hours ago, spangler said:

Per Viking, the eVisa is not acceptable for the Mekong Cruise.  We need a multiple visit visa as we transit in and out of Vietnam a couple times by boat and air.  eVisa does not permit for that.  

Well per the embassy, they are only issuing eVisas. The only way to get a multiple entry visa is to have multiple eVisas.  This is the issue I have brought to Viking’s attention and as of yet they have not addressed the incorrect direction in MVJ.  You might want to reach out to your Viking representative since Vietnam isn’t issuing the visa that Viking says we have to have. 

Please post if you get any additional  information. 

55 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Well per the embassy, they are only issuing eVisas. The only way to get a multiple entry visa is to have multiple eVisas.  This is the issue I have brought to Viking’s attention and as of yet they have not addressed the incorrect direction in MVJ.  You might want to reach out to your Viking representative since Vietnam isn’t issuing the visa that Viking says we have to have. 

Please post if you get any additional  information. 

If you look at Viking visa requirements by country for Vietnam, it allows Australians to get a multiple entry visa upon arrival at the airport when they land.  I asked if we as US citizens could do the same and Viking said no with no explanation and stated we must use GenVisa as eVisas were not acceptable.  We did not want to risk any issues arriving in Vietnam.   We recently sent our visa applications to GenVisa .  Will let you know If the visas they return are eVisa or not. I think the business side of Viking is horrific.  This is one of numerous issues we have had with Viking for this cruise and the upcoming WC.  A Viking agent said it will be better when you board the ship.  Basically acknowledging the issues with business side.  So much for good customer relations.  Sorry for the rant. 

Yes, dealing with Viking pre-departure can be an utter "pain in the who struck John." Makes you want to tear your hair out.

I gave up years ago talking with the people manning the front-line customer service. When I have a problem or question, I address it to tellus@vikingcruises.com. I used to have a "go-to" person in the department, but she left the company last December.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Viking; they have never gotten the pre-departure customer service part of the business right. BUT...

The pandemic has only made things worse for those answering the phones and those working in the the Air department. 

• The airlines are canceling or changing flights left right and center. It doesn't matter if you are a travel purveyor or John Q. Public, dealing with the airlines is a disaster.
  • Shoreside infrastructure (port services and tour providers) fell apart during the pandemic; dock personnel, tour guides and bus drivers left the industry during the pandemic. They needed to pay the rent and put food on the table.
  • For over a year, the CSAs had to deal with Covid protocols that seemed to change everyday and differed  from itinerary to itinerary.
  • And that is just for starters.

BOTTOM-LINE: We are ready to return to cruising but the industry is not ready for us to return and it is going to be a while before things return to the way they were pre-pandemic -- if they ever do.

STILL, as your TA has said, the on-board experience is worth the pre-cruise CSA hassles, even as Viking rushes to train new staff and crew.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, spangler said:

If you look at Viking visa requirements by country for Vietnam, it allows Australians to get a multiple entry visa upon arrival at the airport when they land.  I asked if we as US citizens could do the same and Viking said no with no explanation and stated we must use GenVisa as eVisas were not acceptable.  We did not want to risk any issues arriving in Vietnam.   We recently sent our visa applications to GenVisa .  Will let you know If the visas they return are eVisa or not. I think the business side of Viking is horrific.  This is one of numerous issues we have had with Viking for this cruise and the upcoming WC.  A Viking agent said it will be better when you board the ship.  Basically acknowledging the issues with business side.  So much for good customer relations.  Sorry for the rant. 

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, dealing with Viking pre-departure can be an utter "pain in the who struck John." Makes you want to tear your hair out.

I gave up years ago talking with the people manning the front-line customer service. When I have a problem or question, I address it to tellus@vikingcruises.com. I used to have a "go-to" person in the department, but she left the company last December.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Viking; they have never gotten the pre-departure customer service part of the business right. BUT...

The pandemic has only made things worse for those answering the phones and those working in the the Air department. 

• The airlines are canceling or changing flights left right and center. It doesn't matter if you are a travel purveyor or John Q. Public, dealing with the airlines is a disaster.
  • Shoreside infrastructure (port services and tour providers) fell apart during the pandemic; dock personnel, tour guides and bus drivers left the industry during the pandemic. They needed to pay the rent and put food on the table.
  • For over a year, the CSAs had to deal with Covid protocols that seemed to change everyday and differed  from itinerary to itinerary.
  • And that is just for starters.

BOTTOM-LINE: We are ready to return to cruising but the industry is not ready for us to return and it is going to be a while before things return to the way they were pre-pandemic -- if they ever do.

STILL, as your TA has said, the on-board experience is worth the pre-cruise CSA hassles, even as Viking rushes to train new staff and crew.

Thank you.  We understand the post covid challenges the cruise lines are facing and agree that the  pre departure business operations needs attention for Viking.  Air travel challenges is definitely not Viking fault.  The reference that it will all be good once you board was from a Viking representative not our TA.  

It appears that Viking’s visa folks have finally realized there is an issue with what WAS on MVJ about Vietnam. Just happened to check this morning and realized it’s different than it was a week or so ago. I’m not sure when it changed but now for those of us on Ocean ships, it now says “the requirements are being confirmed and will be updated”. 

While not resolved at least it’s an improvement over posting something that is impossible to obtain!

Posted below is the original and the updated language paragraph. The yellow highlight is from MVJ-I didn’t add it. 

Glad I hadn’t paid GenVisa!

96C0100B-6328-4E53-A8AB-2BA3AB14E172.jpeg

3462637B-712C-4C97-91FF-327517A27D81.jpeg

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

It appears that Viking’s visa folks have finally realized there is an issue with what WAS on MVJ about Vietnam. Just happened to check this morning and realized it’s different than it was a week or so ago. I’m not sure when it changed but now for those of us on Ocean ships, it now says “the requirements are being confirmed and will be updated”. 

While not resolved at least it’s an improvement over posting something that is impossible to obtain!

Posted below is the original and the updated language paragraph. The yellow highlight is from MVJ-I didn’t add it. 

Glad I hadn’t paid GenVisa!

96C0100B-6328-4E53-A8AB-2BA3AB14E172.jpeg

3462637B-712C-4C97-91FF-327517A27D81.jpeg

Yup that is a change for Viking Ocean voyage.  Good catch.

• Like 1