Cabin access on embarkation day

some_body

Trying to work the balance between how much to carry on vs and checked bags.   Any estimates on when you get access to cabins?  Just to drop off/put stuff in safe.   This is on the Divina if process varies by ship.

Side note  -I've seen mixed reports that keycards on in the cabin and you pick them up there.   Any truth on this on way or the other?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 8:34 PM, some_body said:

Trying to work the balance between how much to carry on vs and checked bags.   Any estimates on when you get access to cabins?  Just to drop off/put stuff in safe.   This is on the Divina if process varies by ship.

Side note  -I've seen mixed reports that keycards on in the cabin and you pick them up there.   Any truth on this on way or the other?

Thanks

Cabins are almost always available by 1300/1400hrs, if you're in YC then they'll generally always be available upon embarkation. Keys are generally issued at check-in as they are scanned on initial embarkation. 

Somewhat related to the original question .. I have seen on one MSC cruise a carry-on bag check on the pool deck for those that arrive before staterooms were open. Complimentary and not specific to YC.

I was thinking what a great idea that was and really didn't take but one staff person to offer this. Is this common, or was I just lucky that one cruise?

Seems common, we used it on three non-YC-cruises. This year in YC cabin was ready after the first drink in Top Sail Lounge (we arrived quite early), so no need for that, but we noticed it on our way to YC.

Actually this hand-luggage drop-off was not on pool deck but near the boarding area on each of our cruises.

On all of our most recent cruises there was a spot to drop off luggage at the entrance of the Buffet (so that you didn't have to try to deal with it and get lunch).  This was on the Divina and Meraviglia.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

On all of our most recent cruises there was a spot to drop off luggage at the entrance of the Buffet (so that you didn't have to try to deal with it and get lunch).  This was on the Divina and Meraviglia.

This would be great. I'll be looking for this feature.

Quick update from OP on my own experience on the Divina in early Aug 2022  -

• There was a carry on drop off area.  I did not use it, as the purpose of my carry on was for valuables.  I figure if they are going to get lost, I'll do it myself so I have no one to blame.
  • The key cards were issued in the terminal.
  • Cabins were available by 1-ish.

Ended up packing lighter than I ever have for a cruise.  Gave a carry on size suitcase to the porter and carried a small backpack on with me.  Same backpack I use in ports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Last week on the Seashore cabins werent ready until about 2:30. Announcements were periodically made asking to be patient. We also didn't get our luggage until after 9pm. We kept going to check and kept being told they are still delivering.

That is good to know. I'll be on that ship next month, I might need to bring something to change into for dinner.