Recent experiences with spending a night off the ship in an overnight port?

Vexorg

3 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Got it,for the 3 People that responded .I don’t believe the OP responded. My comment was -I just never thought to do this when I go on a cruise. I go on a cruise  to cruise.when I go on a land vacation I go on a land vacation. Yay to all of you that have done this ,had nothing really to do with expense when I made my comment, well sort of .I just can’t imagine spending money on a hotel which I am assuming is a five day cruise to Cabo overnight ,but I’m not even sure on the length. So I just thought perhaps the OP got a smoking deal on their cruise and they weren’t concerned with spending money to stay in a hotel for whatever the experience be. .I still just can’t imagine wanting to spend the Money for a hotel room and food ,but again just my opinion.  that’s why there’s choices out there in this world and it was just an interesting topic to me.

Appreciate everyone’s response to me ,but this is definitely not about me .this was answering the Op/author to see if it could be done. Again I just find the topic very interesting .

I don’t think any more comments need to be directed at me we need to go back to the original person. 

I'll add one thing - people are on vacation. Vacations are designed to have new experiences that they can't get at home. I find it sad that some people cannot allow themselves to just go for it when on a once in a lifetime experience and unnecessarily limit themselves from those rare opportunities to do something special. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Got it,for the 3 People that responded .I don’t believe the OP responded. My comment was -I just never thought to do this when I go on a cruise. I go on a cruise  to cruise.when I go on a land vacation I go on a land vacation. Yay to all of you that have done this ,had nothing really to do with expense when I made my comment, well sort of .I just can’t imagine spending money on a hotel which I am assuming is a five day cruise to Cabo overnight ,but I’m not even sure on the length. So I just thought perhaps the OP got a smoking deal on their cruise and they weren’t concerned with spending money to stay in a hotel for whatever the experience be. .I still just can’t imagine wanting to spend the Money for a hotel room and food ,but again just my opinion.  that’s why there’s choices out there in this world and it was just an interesting topic to me.

Appreciate everyone’s response to me ,but this is definitely not about me .this was answering the Op/author to see if it could be done. Again I just find the topic very interesting .

I don’t think any more comments need to be directed at me we need to go back to the original person. 

In this case it's a 10 night itinerary (the "Baja Peninsula and Sea of Cortez" one with overnight in Cabo plus La Paz, Loreto and Puerto Vallarta), and it was a pretty good deal.  The thinking is that for about the cost of a day pass for two at one of the resorts in Cabo we could book a hotel room for the night and get a lot more time to hang out by the pool and/or beach.

Another factor is that the available Princess shore excursions for Cabo seem lacking on this itinerary.  The ship arrives at 1pm, and the only excursion options seem to be the "short day" ones on the first day (the ones you'd see on a 7am-1pm or 1pm-7pm stop), with none offered on the second day even though the ship is in port until 6pm..  

Edited by Vexorg

3 hours ago, Vexorg said:

The thinking is that for about the cost of a day pass for two at one of the resorts in Cabo we could book a hotel room for the night and get a lot more time to hang out by the pool and/or beach.

Your logic is impeccable.  

How often does a ship have to bypass Cabo due to bad weather?  In my dozens of Mex Riv cruises, it has never happened to us.  That would be my concern, that the

tenders could not run due to weather, leaving you stuck ashore.

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

That would be my concern, that the

tenders could not run due to weather, leaving you stuck ashore.

---

Crew would be stuck ashore also!  I've been out and about seeing lots of Princess crew including officers partying at Mandala Los Cabos around 3 in the morning. 😇

---