What the heck is going on with the Magic????

mom1965

On 8/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, kingston13 said:

I went June 20-28th and had no issues.  Were there rude people, sure but that is nothing new - there always are some rude people.  Didn't know about the fight until read it in the media.  Everything was good.  I am going again on August 15th.

Don't go into it looking for bad since you will start the trip unhappy.

I'm also going the 15th, this problem has been going on for a long time, some parents just don't care what their kids are doing, mom And dad have a drink in there hands and Johnny's off playing with his new friends.. security doesn't show up till about 5pm when It gets a little cooler out,last week I was on the NCL joy, a 4 year old kid was Lost and a parent didn't show up until 10 minutes later, horrible, 

13 hours ago, RaisingJoy said:

I was on the Magic 7/18-7/26, and from what I saw club O2 was the problem. I have three teenagers, my oldest went to Club O2 the first night and didn't go back. During an ice breaker they went around the room stating what they liked to, she said the most common answer was "play video games and smoke weed" and staff said nothing. It's as illegal as alcohol in this age group and I don't think they would have allowed them to all say they like to get drunk, but this answer was apparently acceptable. It wasn't her crowd so she hung out with us and relaxed reading on the balcony.

One mother told us her teenage daughter was left at her cabin door passed out but doesn't remember what she took. Someone knocked on the cabin door then left her in the hall. There was a fight at club O2, security was called and shut it down. However the teens just gathered in stairways and ran around playing manhunt and knocking on doors, basically being a nuisance so it was reopened. I will say security was everywhere on the ship. We saw them intervene when a parent and grandparent were just screaming at a small child, and again when there was a problem in the hot tubs. They sat outside club O2 a lot.

My other teens found friends at circle C and had a great time with them. They made bracelets and had lots of ice cream and enjoyed the freedom of roaming the ship with their new friends. They said many of the kids knew each other and have been on many cruises and the staff knew the kids, so Magic isn't just full of new cruisers. We aren't the type to be in the nightclub, but honestly besides the family screaming at the child, all the adults seemed pretty chill and we didn't have any problems. This wasn't my favorite cruise (it was our fourth Carnival cruise), I found the entertainment pretty boring (the shows were like good karaoke with a theme, just singing with really no dancing or story), the comedians were just OK, and there wasn't much to do besides trivia (the pools were PACKED) but I loved relaxing on the balcony. 

Some other thoughts: portions are small in the dining room, after a couple days many in our group were ordering multiple apps or main dishes. I thought it was a nice way to try things but harder on the staff. Food was fine, some dishes were great, only the lasagna was inedible, but the melting chocolate cake was very soupy every night. We had anytime dining and never had to wait more than a few minutes for our large party of 12. Also it's been said before, but Carnival needs another late night food option, lines for pizza were so long after 11PM and that's were I saw tempers start getting heated. We just paid for it through room service, the pizza wasn't as good but my kids LOVED the donut sandwich. Our steward was wonderful and worked so hard, but only having service once a day meant the couch bed in one room was always set up as a bed instead of converting back and forth to a couch. We enjoyed the spa, I love those heated loungers! 

I noticed that you mentioned ATD with a group of 12. I feel like the hub app capped at reservations for 10 on my last cruise. I have a larger group going in December. Do you mind providing more details? TIA

Just got off the Glory and had a great cruise. But i did notice, couldnt miss it, how awful the kids were. Running over people every where. laving food and drinks all over the place, fighting with security. On the last night, GROWN UPS threw deck chairs overboard. None of this was Carnival's fault. Their security could easily handle one or two cases at a time, but these people were crazy. Even getting off the ship, 8 immigration officers had to break uo a fight in baggage claim area. People just dont know how to act.

• Thanks 1

Having also returned from the July 18th cruise, we really didn't witness too much of what went on, but we heard stories from other cruisers, even seeing them posted in the Facebook group. I think the most I witnessed were kids hanging out in the hallways late at night but they were just being loud. If anything saw more rude adults then kids. Definitely saw an increase of security scattered around the ship as well. 

Outside of that, food was hit or miss; buffet was just so so, breakfast seemed more limited and the food was just bland. Sea Day Brunch was a big miss, food wasn't the greatest either and most was actually quite greasy. Guy's Burgers was good as always, Blue Iguana was okay (my first time trying it), Mongolian Wok was great but not worth the hour wait to get the food. MDR was probably the best of all of it, however portions did seem smaller as another poster pointed out. Room Service chicken tenders are a must!

Second time in an ocean suite, much bigger than on Horizon, only complaint is the closet is awkward to get to when the beds are split. TV stopped working but our room stewart was quick to get this resolved, he was probably one of the best we ever had as well. Also surprised there weren't more USB outlets.

Embarkation/Disembarkation were both quick and easy. Ship overall is nice but lido did get crowded during the sea days. Cruise Director and his team were excellent, he's probably one of my favorites now.

Parents go again on the Magic in a few weeks, and then some family have a cruise next year as well. But now I'm curious and excited to see Costa Venezia come to NYC and how Carnival/Costa will handle that.

1 hour ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Having also returned from the July 18th cruise, we really didn't witness too much of what went on, but we heard stories from other cruisers, even seeing them posted in the Facebook group. I think the most I witnessed were kids hanging out in the hallways late at night but they were just being loud. If anything saw more rude adults then kids. Definitely saw an increase of security scattered around the ship as well. 

Outside of that, food was hit or miss; buffet was just so so, breakfast seemed more limited and the food was just bland. Sea Day Brunch was a big miss, food wasn't the greatest either and most was actually quite greasy. Guy's Burgers was good as always, Blue Iguana was okay (my first time trying it), Mongolian Wok was great but not worth the hour wait to get the food. MDR was probably the best of all of it, however portions did seem smaller as another poster pointed out. Room Service chicken tenders are a must!

Second time in an ocean suite, much bigger than on Horizon, only complaint is the closet is awkward to get to when the beds are split. TV stopped working but our room stewart was quick to get this resolved, he was probably one of the best we ever had as well. Also surprised there weren't more USB outlets.

Embarkation/Disembarkation were both quick and easy. Ship overall is nice but lido did get crowded during the sea days. Cruise Director and his team were excellent, he's probably one of my favorites now.

Parents go again on the Magic in a few weeks, and then some family have a cruise next year as well. But now I'm curious and excited to see Costa Venezia come to NYC and how Carnival/Costa will handle that.

We were in the same group. You also saw the posts about the kid who went missing and the girl who got drugged?

1 hour ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Agreed about Ryan Rose. I thought he was great. He reminded me a little of Cookie who is my favorite. I saw him pitching in while getting passengers off the ship. 

I’m going on the 6d Bermuda on the Magic for the 9/24 cruises. I’m curious what my experience will be. This will be my 24th cruise and 4th cruise this year. The rest have been carnival out of Long Beach on the Mexican Riviera. I did not one but two spring break cruises (almost back to back cruises) and had a good time so I’m Curious about this NyC sailing

39 minutes ago, KyloRen said:

I’m going on the 6d Bermuda on the Magic for the 9/24 cruises. I’m curious what my experience will be. This will be my 24th cruise and 4th cruise this year. The rest have been carnival out of Long Beach on the Mexican Riviera. I did not one but two spring break cruises (almost back to back cruises) and had a good time so I’m Curious about this NyC sailing

School will be back in plus Bermuda still has strict guidelines. My inlaws are there right now. I can't imagine alot of kids being on your sailing

5 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

Just got off the Glory and had a great cruise. But i did notice, couldnt miss it, how awful the kids were. Running over people every where. laving food and drinks all over the place, fighting with security. On the last night, GROWN UPS threw deck chairs overboard. None of this was Carnival's fault. Their security could easily handle one or two cases at a time, but these people were crazy. Even getting off the ship, 8 immigration officers had to break uo a fight in baggage claim area. People just dont know how to act.

Glory is a ship I'd avoid, too many reports/videos of incidents with that ship and its local clientele. I saw a video out of Long Beach titled "MOST RATCHET CRUISE EVER!!" on YouTube and pray I'm never on a ship like that. What a nightmare lol. Who the heck throws deck chairs overboard? Certainly sounds like a ratchet cruise. 😆 

Edited by cruisingguy007

On 8/2/2022 at 9:20 AM, cmukid87 said:

I guess I haven't heard those reviews.  I wouldn't doubt my sailing on Aug 11 is going to be a disaster.  Only 4 days long, out of NY and school still out.  

A cruise is what you make it,for the most part. At least it is for us. 31 cruises to date and Neither of us have ever felt as though we'd had a bad cruise. Lol, quite a few înteresting ones though. We just are thankful to be so Blessed as to be able to take off and sail away.  We never let things bother us to the point of ever even considering a  cruise a bad one, much less a disastrous one. That said,  We've never gone on a "Booze Cruise" either,   nor will we, thanks to the great advice And warnings we've gotten here over the years re: 3/4day voyages.  Apparently many of them do get quite out of hand. I'm sure Many also don't... I wish Only the best for you on your upcoming voyage. Try and  be positive  that you'll have a great time! 👍 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Prettyinpink72 said:

I noticed that you mentioned ATD with a group of 12. I feel like the hub app capped at reservations for 10 on my last cruise. I have a larger group going in December. Do you mind providing more details? TIA

You are correct, the app does cap the reservations at 10. However the table for 10 and the table for 12 are the same table, they just add a couple more chairs. We would check in 10 guests while in our room, there was never more than a 10 minute wait so we'd walk down to the dining room immediately and tell the hostess there were 12 of us not 10. She would ask for the names of the 2 additional guests and add them. By that time our table was usually ready and we'd go right in. This was how the hostess instructed us to check in. If your party is larger than 12 you will probably need to split into 2 groups.

• Thanks 1