New York Pier

stooth

21 minutes ago, stooth said:

Hello fellow cruisers....Does anyone know which pier NCL uses in New York?  Prima docking place?

Also, which airport is closer/easier to get to from that pier?

NCL docks at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, primarily Pier 88 at 48th St. and 12th Ave., although occasionally at the adjacent Pier 90 at 50th St. and 12th Ave.

It's readily accessible from any of the three NY airports, with LGA being the closest, EWR next and JFK furthest away. However it generally costs more for ground transportation from EWR because you have to cross state lines from NJ and the tolls on the Hudson River crossings are high.

Really you should look at airline schedules and fares first and not be too concerned about which of the three airports you use.

2 hours ago, stooth said:

Hello fellow cruisers....Does anyone know which pier NCL uses in New York?  Prima docking place? Also, which airport is closer/easier to get to from that pier?

The "best" airport is the one with the cheapest air fares. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The "best" airport is the one with the cheapest air fares. 

Not if the cheapest airfares come with an unsatisfactory flight schedule and not if the cheapest airfares would be coupled with higher ground transportation costs leading to a higher total transportation cost.

You have to look at all the variables to make the best decision for your needs.

I live across the street from the Manhattan cruise port. I generally prefer flying into/out of Newark.  Depending on the size of your party, it may be cheaper to take the NJ Transit train from EWR to Penn Station ($14/pp) then a taxi from Penn Station to the cruise port (about $10 to go about 20 blocks). Otherwise, you'd be looking at about a $70 taxi ride. Plus,  taking the train, you reduce the risk of having to deal with traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel, which can add hours to your trip depending on time of day. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nycteacher said:

I live across the street from the Manhattan cruise port. I generally prefer flying into/out of Newark.  Depending on the size of your party, it may be cheaper to take the NJ Transit train from EWR to Penn Station ($14/pp) then a taxi from Penn Station to the cruise port (about $10 to go about 20 blocks). Otherwise, you'd be looking at about a $70 taxi ride. Plus,  taking the train, you reduce the risk of having to deal with traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel, which can add hours to your trip depending on time of day. 

I agree with all of this and, if I'm flying out of a NY area airport, EWR is it. It's kind of dingy compared to the others but it's easy to get in/out of.  

I'd argue if your departure airport has non-stop flights to one of the airports, that's what you should take, even if it's somewhat less convenient/more expensive (within reason, of course.)  Why change planes and add another potential failure point in your trip?  If there are multiple airport options offering direct service, then consider schedule and price as a tiebreaker.  Compared to air, ground costs aren't going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1