Tricare and GeoBlue Trekker

mlsetc

That’s interesting.

I can see where TriCare would not be considered insurance. 
I receive my healthcare thru the VA. I would imagine that the VA is not considered a “Primary” insurance. As a backup, I do have a Medicare Advantage plan thru United Healthcare. I wonder if that’s considered a “Primary” insurance for the purposes you mention.

Maybe Steve will see this and can share his expertise.

9 hours ago, klfrodo said:

That’s interesting.

I can see where TriCare would not be considered insurance. 
I receive my healthcare thru the VA. I would imagine that the VA is not considered a “Primary” insurance. As a backup, I do have a Medicare Advantage plan thru United Healthcare. I wonder if that’s considered a “Primary” insurance for the purposes you mention.

Maybe Steve will see this and can share his expertise.

I don't know the the answer to the OP's question because I know virtually nothing about the variations of Tricare and how they work.  GeoBlue Trekker specifically excludes "VA health plans" as a qualifying primary plan.  Are any Tricare plans considered a VA health plan?  Sorry for my complete ignorance here. 

Medicare however is specifically included as a qualifying primary plan. If the OP has "Tricare for Life", my understanding is it functions as a supplement to Medicare and this is fine for GeoBlue because one needs to have Medicare.

Here are the eligibility requirements: https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-5-eligibility.cfm.  You must have a "Primary Plan" to enroll.

**Primary Plan is a Group Health Benefit Plan, an individual health benefit plan or a governmental health plan designed to be the first payer of claims (such as Medicare) for an Insured Person prior to the responsibility of this Plan. Such plans must have coverage limits in excess of $50,000 per incident or per year to be considered a Primary Plan. PLEASE NOTE: Medicaid and V.A. health plans do not constitute primary health insurance because they are not defined as the first payer of medical claims. The primary plan does not need to be a Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield medical plan in order to be eligible.

I also hope Steve ( @iamtrustworthy) weighs in. But, if there are too may variables involved, he might prefer to do this one on one.

@mlsetc- What "agent" told you this?  If it was not one of Steve's, you might want to call tripinsurancestore.com, tell them what you have and ask them.  If they don't know the answer, they will find out.

Edited by Jersey42

Based on some internet searches, I may have the answer.  I hope someone who knows for sure can confirm.

If Tricare is your only medical insurance, it will not qualify as a primary plan for GeoBlue.  If you have a qualifying primary plan in addition to Tricare, you eligible for GeoBlue. 

The reason is that by law, Tricare pays secondary to all other health insurance (with a few named exceptions). So it is not a primary plan. Here is a good official summary:   https://www.tricare.mil/Plans/OHI 

Edited by Jersey42

9 minutes ago, mlsetc said:

Jersey42, thank you for the info and taking the time to research.

If you get this sorted out can you share the end result and the reason why?  It might help the next person. Thx.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:23 PM, mlsetc said:

Anyone on Tricare been able to sign up for GeoBlue insurance? Agent is telling me that Tricare isn’t primary insurance. 

Hi misetc,

Tricare doesn't meet the primary insurance plan requirement for the Geo Blue plans. If you are old enough and have Medicare plus Tricare, Medicare qualifies as the primary insurance plan.

Steve Dasseos

16 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi misetc,

Tricare doesn't meet the primary insurance plan requirement for the Geo Blue plans. If you are old enough and have Medicare plus Tricare, Medicare qualifies as the primary insurance plan.

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve,

Not quite at Medicare yet. Will have to shop other plans.