Labadee what to do with kids

First time on a RCCL cruise and our first stop is Labadee. I am bringing my 5 and 8 year old's on this trip. What are the best things to do on RCCL's Labadee private area? Everything costs which I find pretty cheezy so I would like to sign up for the best things for them (and me) ahead of time.

Thanks for your help!

broncoz1,

There is a water park for kids, which I belive is free. I have a picture of it but it is to big to attach. I can e-mail it to you if you like.

PS

Based on your signature, are you from Colorado or a Denver Broncos fan?

yeah Im originally from Denver but I've lived in Phoenix now for just as long. I actually was a Nuggets ball boy way back when but now I'm a Suns fan. Broncos I'll never drop though :)

I thought there was a charge for the water park thing as I looked it up on RCCL site, but maybe I'm wrong. I saw the picture on their site, so thats probably not necc. How did you or your family like it? I'm still a little leery of Haiti but I hear it beautiful.

Actually, it wasn't there when we were but it looks really cool. They do have another water park in the ocean with slides and climbing floats that they do charge for and my son did that when we were there. He was 10 at the time.

PS

I have family in Phoenix, father, 2 brothers and a cousin.

There are 3 different things that they charge for that might be good for the kids. There is the aqua park with the water trampolines and such, but since it is a roped off area of the ocaen, you really should be a strong swimmer for that. Then there is the water slide. It is basically one of those giant blow up slides you see at carnivals that they spray a hose on. I bought the all day pass for my son to do that, but he said after a while the lines got to long and it was alot of waiting around. Then there is the water playground area. Again, there is a fee for this, but it is only like $5. I did not book anything ahead of time and just paid when I was there. The water park guy let my son go in for free since it was later in the day, but I gave him a tip as he is one of the locals the RCI employees.

Thx for all the info. The only thing that irritates me is I'm getting the nickel and dime charge feeling so far when looking at things to do on Labadee. I can understand charging for excursions, and extra items like floats. But having these 5 and 10 dollar charges everywhere for stationary things to do on their island seems cheap. Will they be charging next for pool use during the day on the ship? (Hey maybe thats not so bad an idea I could get a deck chair if I slept in :)

You actually don't have to spend a dime on Labadee. The beach and lunch are all free. Let the kids play in the water, dig a hole to China, build a sandcastle--all the stuff people do at the beach for free. Letting them use their imagination for a couple of hours is good for them! And, inexpensive for you! Think of Labadee as a sea day, only on land!

Yes thats obviously true, however the same can be said for not going on excursions that cost money or not visiting Disneyworld etc when in Orlando. You certainly dont HAVE to pay for extras, but my point is where is the line being drawn as to what is considered an "extra". Seems to me that line is moving more and more (on everything) to the cruise line's favor. So if I do want to let my kids have fun at this place I wanted to know what was the most bang for the buck. Im not going to avoid letting my kids have fun for an extra $50 if its something fun, but I dont like to flush money either.

You actually don't have to spend a dime on Labadee. The beach and lunch are all free. Let the kids play in the water, dig a hole to China, build a sandcastle--all the stuff people do at the beach for free. Letting them use their imagination for a couple of hours is good for them! And, inexpensive for you! Think of Labadee as a sea day, only on land!

I agree with you. We have been to Labadee 4 times with our boys and have really only done the banana boat one time. The other times, we simply rented a raft and floated around and enjoyed the beach all day. We bring our snorkels & masks from home and they enjoy that. This year, we'll be bringing our own skim boards to entertain them (they're teens now). It has always been the least expensive days we spend on a cruise.

If you want to have a beach day on one of the other islands, you have to pay for transportation to the beach, rent your beach chairs and buy your own lunch!

We were just at Labadee for the 3rd time and my kids (11 & 16) love the aqua park. Yes, it costs $$ but is worth it. I book the 9am slot and they are the 1st there and then after the hour we head for the 2nd cove and float on beach mats all day. My 16 year old went by the rocks and found 30 conch shells - there must have been 500 of them like someone dropped them off... the lunch is "fly food" but there is a great view and bar on the rough side of the island - and native musicians will play for you. They sold me a CD, wanted $10 and I gave them $20, the guy looked so happy. THey are so poor and work so hard that I figured that he needed the $$ more than I did... Have fun!

Archived