Question about CunardCare

Guelphist

I am traveling home from Europe on the QM II on August 21. I bought CunardCare insurance. I need to make absolutely sure that this covers the travel insurance requirement. Is CunardCare enough, or do I need to buy more insurance. I need to know, because for me this isn't a cruise. This is transportation. My ticket home. I'm basically the equivalent of a steerage guy, if there was still such a thing. And if I can't get on the boat I'm stuck in Europe. Please help me so I know how to proceed 

Edited by Guelphist
Misspelling

Going by date quoted; this is probably not relevant.

In France, Cunard's approved scheme only covers medical expenses of €150,000 worldwide p/p.

I think that could be used up very quickly if you had a serious accident in US. Holiday Extras don't sell to expats.

Eventually Staysure organised a Spanish underwriter after Brexit and offered UK style £10m cover.

Interestingly though, the French offering includes up to €50,000 cancellation p/p, which might have suited a recent question on another post, but only available to European residents or those of French overseas territories.

2 hours ago, Guelphist said:

But what I want to know is, "does my Cunard care cover the requirement, if there is one?"

It's doubtful that you can get a definitive answer to that question on this forum.

It will depend on the conditions that apply to your reservation, which vary depending on the country it was booked through (website or travel agent).

As far as I can see "CunardCare® guest protection" is a US product and I can't research it further on the Cunard US site without using a VPN. Third party comment on it suggests it provides much less cover than a UK policy, which would generally cover stuff like being airlifted from the ship in case of a medical emergency.

Suspect if you're a US resident you won't be able to buy UK insurance from most companies.

You are best to ask Cunard directly.

23 hours ago, Guelphist said:

I am traveling home from Europe on the QM II on August 21. I bought CunardCare insurance. I need to make absolutely sure that this covers the travel insurance requirement. Is CunardCare enough, or do I need to buy more insurance. I need to know, because for me this isn't a cruise. This is transportation. My ticket home. I'm basically the equivalent of a steerage guy, if there was still such a thing. And if I can't get on the boat I'm stuck in Europe. Please help me so I know how to proceed 

Hi, I was in your exact same situation, traveling from Southampton to NYC, just arrived on 08/05. I am an American citizen and purchased my ticket on the US Cunard website (.com and not .co.uk) with Cunard Care protection. At Southampton, I was asked by a lady if I had purchased travel insurance for my voyage. I replied yes, Cunard Care. She said it was fine (she didn't verify). From my research before embarking, it seems that you are not required to purchase travel insurance if you booked through the US Cunard website, but it is highly advised to do so. Personally, I always add Cunard Care protection in case something really bad would happen on board. If you can access both US and UK Cunard websites and look at their page for travel insurance, I remember there was different wording about insurance (something like it was mandatory for UK guests - on the UK website- and was encouraged only on the US website). But then, I would double check with Cunard to be sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1