To lock or not to lock?

macmax

Quick question - as we are not allowed to pack any scissors, tweezers, nail files, anything metal and pointy in our hand luggage - how do you opend the tie locks when you get to your destination?

Our TSA locks open with a combo - no keys needed!

Dumb Question - What are "tie-wraps" and "zip ties".

I chose to not lock my checked bags when I flew, but did put locks on them before handing them over to the porters at the pier and also before putting them out in the hallway the night before disembarking. That seemed to work out OK.

For lack of better definition. The little plastic ties you route around an object and then route back through. A simple nail clipper or lighter will get rid of it. Or a dull knife from the kitchen.

We always used a strong padlock on our luggage when flying to Europe and mexico but we purchased bright pink TSA locks before our cruise in Nov as we didn't want to leave them unlocked as we were flying Glasgow - London - Miami. They were fine.

Once found myself in a Ft Lauderdale hotel pre-cruise with nothing to remove my cable ties. It takes a long time to gnaw through those things.

:cool: :cool:

I always use a ball point pin or anything that is similar. Just put the pin in the hole of the cable tie and twist. Works every time. There is almost always a pin by the phone in the motel or on the ship.

Quick question - as we are not allowed to pack any scissors, tweezers, nail files, anything metal and pointy in our hand luggage - how do you opend the tie locks when you get to your destination?

New TSA rules: You now can pack scissors in carry-on (less than 4 inch round blade) as well as nail files/clippers.

permitted/prohibited items list link: http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc

Well actually, you can now carry tweezers, nail files and very small sissors in you carry-on. Or maybe that's just a US thing? But, we don't put a cable tie on the smallest outside compartment of our checked luggage and put the extra cable ties (tie locks, electrical ties) and a small exacto kinfe in there. Then you have access to something to cut the ties.

flamono. . . here's a link to view what a cable tie looks like.

http://cableorganizer.com/cable-ties/

Hi Sultan. . . from what I've read the TSA locks were developed in cooperation with the U.S. Transportation Security Administration. They obviously work best on trips within the United States, where inspectors are likely to have the required tool to open them. We've used the cable ties since 911 with no problem at any of the international airports we have flown in and out of. In a few airports we have seen people shrink wrapping their luggage after they have been inspected, but I can't remember where just now. I thought that was a bit odd, but maybe they know something I don't.

Outside of the USA standard travel padlocks are perfectly fine ......they are no problem flying into the USA

Its leaving the USA that all the problems occur

We have flown around the world and never had our luggage opened or touched

Yet every time I fly out of Miami TSA poke their noses in to all of my luggage

same out of Houston too and all behind the scenes

LAX now has sophisticated scanners and they virtually never have to open luggage but its done in front of you which is of course how it should be

Until such time as every USA airport opens your luggage in front of you theres going to be the problems of loss

We have used the TSA approved locks for some time now. Never had a problem and our bags never get opened. The locks have a color code that changes if your bags have been opened. We chose the combination lock type, so we wouldn't have to deal with keys and don't have to worry about cable ties any longer. Also use them on rgw carry-on bags.:)

I'm putting in a vote for the cable ties (wire ties). Never had a problem, always know when someone is in my luggage. AND (bonus) at hotels you can ask them to borrow the scissors at the front desk at check in - eliminates the problem in case you forgot to throw a cheap pen knife in the outside pocket of your suitcase. On the ship, if you got a bowl of fruit in your room, just use the knife or order room service :)

Definitely lock! You don't want someone putting something in your luggage that shouldn't be there, if you know what I mean. Or taking anything out that you want to keep. We use the flourscent colored cable ties to lock ours with. Be sure to leave enough room to get scissors through the loop to cut it open. If the airport security needs to get in your luggage for some reason, they still can and they will replace it with blue cable ties.

We put a pair of scissors in the outside zippered part of our checked luggage. I've had three pair of scissors confiscated from my carry-on. I will continue to do it that way even though I'd heard that they've lifted that ban.

Locks and ties are a false sense of security. They are like having a deadbolt on a screen door. The zipper on softside luggage can be pried open easily without touching the locks or ties. If you are really worried about nobody getting in your bags, go with hardside luggage and TSA locks.

Hi, just use a sturdy nail clipper , the type with out the fold out file attached.

When flying , we always use the cable zip ties, and before we go to the port and on the ship we use a combination locks, then just replace with zip ties at the airport before we check in. Haven't had any problems so far. Just want to keep the bags locked at the port and when the luggage is out in the hall on the ship before we disembark.

Guess there is no easy answere, its a post 9/11 world we live in.

Cori

We always used a strong padlock on our luggage when flying to Europe and mexico but we purchased bright pink TSA locks before our cruise in Nov as we didn't want to leave them unlocked as we were flying Glasgow - London - Miami. They were fine.

We are flying to Calgary from Heathrow in May for a Rockies Land Tour and then sail from Seattle for an Alaskan cruise and will be returning to Heathrow from Seattle. Can you tell me where you purchased your TSA locks as I think we may need to invest in some ? Like you we tend to use a combination padlock on our cases for travel within Europe but it could be a different set of rules with going into Canada and USA. We live in South Gloucestershire by the way.

Suron

We are flying to Calgary from Heathrow in May for a Rockies Land Tour and then sail from Seattle for an Alaskan cruise and will be returning to Heathrow from Seattle. Can you tell me where you purchased your TSA locks as I think we may need to invest in some ? Like you we tend to use a combination padlock on our cases for travel within Europe but it could be a different set of rules with going into Canada and USA. We live in South Gloucestershire by the way.

Suron

Here is the site for the locks

http://www.outdooraccessories.co.uk/

They now seem to have the combination ones as well. Hope this helps.

If TSA can open your lock, so can a thief. If a thief is in a hurry, he will steal the whole suitcase. Which one would you steal? The ordinary case or the locked one? I think you just don't pack too much valuables in checked luggage, and you don't lock it. If you wanted to put a lock on your luggage after it has been thru the airport, it makes it look more valuable. The thief will steal your case first, or break into it (literally "break"). Let him see there's nothing to steal. The plastic wire-ties are good for piece of mind. They tell people that you only wanted to know if security went thru your bags, but there ain't much in them to steal.

Archived