Arcadia missing Visby today?

Peppers mum

Anyone know why Arcadia appears to have done an about turn just before Visby where she was due today?

(Apart from operational reasons 🤣)

Screenshot_20220806-104617_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9e5cb1e2216e0594a2d1fd3d6c605215.jpg

We are due in to Visby on Britannia in September but there are still no excursions available to book on the planner.

This will be our 1st Baltic cruise so really looking forward to it.

Julie 

Thanks Dermotsgirl, I'm assuming you are referring to book face 😉  I'm not on it 👍

We should have been on this cruise but moved it to Britannia when our Poppy Patterdale sitter let us down. Our friends are on this one and were on her when she restarted a few weeks ago and they ended up in Kirkwall instead of Norway!!

We've done Med cruises, Canaries and Caribbean ones so really looking forward to seeing the Baltic although I hope we don't get the high winds!!

• Like 1

We did the same on Aurora last month - came up to the port of Visby, all getting ready to get on our tours after docking, and then noticed she had pulled away - lack of tugs to assist coping with high winds was given as the reason. We went off to Tallinn as a replacement, but that will depend on the schedule for each particular cruise.

Edited by bbtablet

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

I certainly wouldn't expect pax to be put at risk but this is getting crazy. So many ports missed recently on the P&O cruises in Northern Europe...

There lies a problem, we have heard so many excuses for missed ports, little boy crying wolf springs to mind

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbtablet said:

We did the same on Aurora last month - came up to the port of Visby, all getting ready to get on our tours after docking, and then noticed she had pulled away - lack of tugs to assist coping with high winds was given as the reason. We went off to Tallinn as a replacement, but that will depend on the schedule for each particular cruise.

Nothing new, due to call there in 2013 possible tender port. Arrived, two ferries in, tenders launched then it was announced that one had been damaged so we would wait until it was calmer. The ferries departed then eventually at lunchtime the Captain said that he was concerned that if we docked and the wind got up in the afternoon with no tug available we may not be able to get off the dock. He said rather than risk Stockholm tomorrow we would sail for Stockholm.

In them days Captains were more visible and he agreed to sail slowly so we could experience the approach  to Stockholm in daylight.

Of  course all the many armchair Captains said that the tenders could have operated and we could have docked.

7 hours ago, Britboys said:

I certainly wouldn't expect pax to be put at risk but this is getting crazy. So many ports missed recently on the P&O cruises in Northern Europe...

On port webcam clearly windy  white wave crests all round  the new berth is very exposed with no shelter 

20 hours ago, Britboys said:

Might be something to do with climate change

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Might be something to do with climate change

It may well be but it certainly seems to have been exacerbated this year by the non-availability of tugs...

I did see recently that a (non-P&O) ship was due to dock in Ronne on the Danish island of Bornholm but couldn't because of the winds. The Captain sailed her around to the other side of the island to be in the lee of the wind and tendered pax ashore. Full marks for flexibility.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

It may well be but it certainly seems to have been exacerbated this year by the non-availability of tugs...

I did see recently that a (non-P&O) ship was due to dock in Ronne on the Danish island of Bornholm but couldn't because of the winds. The Captain sailed her around to the other side of the island to be in the lee of the wind and tendered pax ashore. Full marks for flexibility.

What was the size of the ship was it comparable.

Visby Ronne and Skagen are the 3 most cancelled ports in the Baltic because of the open location in the sea. Several cruise calls there have been cancelled this year, so this is not only a specific P&O thing.

I live in the Baltic and follow the daily cruising movements in the Baltic.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

Visby Ronne and Skagen are the 3 most cancelled ports in the Baltic because of the open location in the sea. Several cruise calls there have been cancelled this year, so this is not only a specific P&O thing.

I live in the Baltic and follow the daily cruising movements in the Baltic.

Thank you, that's really helpful to know 👍

As I mentioned in my opening post on this thread, our forthcoming  Baltic cruise on Britannia will be our 1st to this part of the world. We are really excited about it all and the scheduled itinerary but I'm treating it as a mystery cruise and will just wait and see where we end up each day!!

Thanks again.

Julie