Checkin photo issue

Momofpuppy

Agree that this is such a pain in the neck.  They always re-take ours at the port anyway after we spent an hour trying to remember how to do it.  We'd write it down but it always seems somewhat accidental that we finally got the photo to upload via trial and error so we're not sure what the heck we did right!  Why do they assume we all know how to upload photos???  Lots of older folks have no clue about this stuff.  I would just leave it undone but I've learned the perils of not snagging an early check in spot at some embarkation ports. 

14 hours ago, carohs said:

If you get a decent photo to work, make sure to save/favorite it so you can use it again on the next cruise. 

That’s what you would think. We are not always successful. A photo which uploaded fine for our April 2023 cruise failed for our May 2023 cruise. I had back up photos available, so was able to proceed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, carohs said:

If you get a decent photo to work, make sure to save/favorite it so you can use it again on the next cruise. 

Saved the ones we used for our last NCL cruise on the desk top and my husband's was not acceptable this time (go figure).  Even having saved them, I'm unlikely to remember months later how to upload them.  Like I said, we are clueless with tech so it is always about an hour of trial and error.  By the time we accidentally stumble upon the right steps, success is purely accidental and we're never sure just what we clicked on to finally get it to work!  Should probably do this when one of our kids is around, lol. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

we are clueless with tech 

I think their system uses some algorithm no one truly understands. I've been posting on the Internet since before the Web existed. Sometimes my pics work, sometimes they don't.

I don't think technical savvy has anything to do with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We have used the same photo since we started uploading them...never an issue until a couple of cruises ago...they didn't like my DW's picture so they took another one...when we got to the ship and swiped our card to get on they said there was an issue with that photo...when my DW checked the screen it was a picture of the check in agent's foot 🤣...so they took another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Feeling your pain! This wasn't easy for the 6 of us, but it's done! Feels good to be checked in, even if we still have 3 weeks to go.

I learned early on that the photos have to be a minimum of 640 x 480 pixels, then learned that they can't be "blurry" (even if they don't look blurry - try the "sharpen" feature), anything other than perfectly straight into the camera is a "bad pose" (even a slight head tilt), but eventually we got 'em all! The system didn't even like my adult daughter's professional head shot, but took a very ugly screenshot of me. Oh well, no accounting for taste, I guess.

For some reason the system also didn't like this stunning photo of one of the kids... image.png.bf916d80d40fa04865a06ad4afcadd67.png

• Haha 5

On 8/6/2022 at 9:02 PM, FlGoodShips said:

I had to completely log out and then log back in and then photo was accepted.

This worked for me, too. Initially after the first try on one of the kids' photos (not the one posted above), the upload option was greyed out for both kids. I reopened NCL on a different browser and voila - it worked!

Edited by mooline

23 hours ago, Bobbywires said:

..... Would just wait to do it in person but I need a specific checkin time...... 

Newbie Cruiser here.

Please confirm that this statement by Bobbywires means we can't select a check-in time unless the online process is complete, with picture?

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Confirmed!!

OK, thanks.

But if we're not successful with uploading our pics,  is it OK to arrive at the port at any time we want? 

10 hours ago, LGinPA said:

OK, thanks.

But if we're not successful with uploading our pics,  is it OK to arrive at the port at any time we want? 

AFAIK, if you don't get to 100% completion on your e-docs, ( i.e., missing picture, missing passport number, etc.) the system won't let you continue and your on-line check-in will have failed. You would then have to show up at the port and seek out an NCL agent and do your check-in at that point. That to me would not be a pleasant experience, but maybe others who have been through this  will chime in with their thoughts.

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 7:49 AM, cruiserbear55 said:

AFAIK, if you don't get to 100% completion on your e-docs, ( i.e., missing picture, missing passport number, etc.) the system won't let you continue and your on-line check-in will have failed. You would then have to show up at the port and seek out an NCL agent and do your check-in at that point. That to me would not be a pleasant experience, but maybe others who have been through this  will chime in with their thoughts.

I have been through this. My husband was unable to complete check-in as he didn't have his passport until within three days of sailing. We didn't have a check-in time. We arrived. No one checked our time (or lack of check-in time). We proceeded through security, then to check-in. At check-in the young, very bored (maybe tired - we were first in line) lady took his photo, confirmed our ID's, entered his passport information, and sent us on our way to the lounge. In total, it took more time for them to find our key cards than to check-in.

Just as a continuation of my post before, I did check-in online with a photo. Of course it was retaken, as well. Easy peasy...at least in our experience. Hopefully others will chime in with theirs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I had the issue, but didn't have to log in and out. I didn't even use a different photo. I just added and removed it and clicked 'save' and after the 4th time, it finally did it. I think the NCL online system is just glitchy.

• Like 1

On my last cruise out of Miami: we were unable to complete the online check in for two out of three cabins.  

We arrived at port around noon.  

We had no problem getting into the cruise terminal.  Once in and through security, there are special queues for e-doc-less checkin.   Since there were no lines for any checkin, they let all three cabins work with an agent at the same time.  

I expected the two cabins that hadn’t completed check in to take much longer:  they would have to answer more questions, take more pictures, fill out more things…nope!  We all got through like lightening.  

I may never do online check in again!  I definitely am not going to fight to upload a picture no one cares about.

• Like 1

We are doing b2b out of Baltimore on 9/1/23.  Tried to check in for first cruise, did not accept my picture 3 times, so I checked out and waited until I could check in for the second cruise 9/11/23 out of Quebec.  I finally got a message for 9/1 that I would have to have my picture taken at the dock.  Only took 2 tries for my wife's picture to be waved through to the dock.  For the 9/11 cruise both of our pictures were accepted on the second try, no messages.  Our check in time for 9/1 is 11:30 to noon, our check in time for 9/11 is 10:30 to 11:00.  Hopefully the b2b will be completed before 10:30.