Transatlantic crossing something for us?

geer55

We are booked on the May Zuiderdam TA and can't wait. This will be our fifth TA and we like this itinerary because it is longer than most and the Irish and English ports are a little unusual for a TA.  For us, this is the cheapest most comfortable way to get to Europe. Sometimes we do B2bs but this time we are staying for about 10 days on land, haven't decided where yet.  I am never bored on ships but I have travelled with others who are.  If I were to ever get bored, I would just go stare at the wake and the clouds.  They are endlessly fascinating. 

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

Boy, we miss the Atlantic Adventures where you went transatlantic both ways! Fabulous cruises...long and elegant. We'd see some familiar faces on them, and developed friendships with them.  This was back in the day of the Maasdam and Veendam.  Wishing they still had those.  I'd sign up in a New York minute!

Guess we have to do with a ‘one-wat’ TA Albingirl. Second best😉.

• Like 1

We hated our first and our last TA few years ago.  Celebrity from Rome as I recall.

Ship was perfect in all respects.  Great service, great entertainment, food options were superb. Balcony cabin perfect...a push out.

Loved the stop in Madeira so much that we returned a month ago for  a week on the island.

Weather was perfect. Some days it was too hot to sit out on the balcony mid afternoon for more than an hour or so.  Ocean was like glass.  

Get the picture?  It was a perfect last minute score.

But....after three days we were both ready to jump ship.  We now realize that two sea days is our max.  Three at the most if land is in sight for day four.  In our case it was not.

FLL never looked so good.  Others love it.  Good for them.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ajcathy said:

We are booked on the May Zuiderdam TA and can't wait. This will be our fifth TA and we like this itinerary because it is longer than most and the Irish and English ports are a little unusual for a TA.  For us, this is the cheapest most comfortable way to get to Europe. Sometimes we do B2bs but this time we are staying for about 10 days on land, haven't decided where yet.  I am never bored on ships but I have travelled with others who are.  If I were to ever get bored, I would just go stare at the wake and the clouds.  They are endlessly fascinating. 

We are looking at this particular cruise with the Zuiderdam also ajcathy. Good to read that you like the seadays. We will probably stay 7-10 days in Florida prior to the cruise. If you are considering staying in the Netherlands (or other countries in Europe) please feel free to ask for advice. 

10 hours ago, iancal said:

We hated our first and our last TA few years ago.  Celebrity from Rome as I recall.

Ship was perfect in all respects.  Great service, great entertainment, food options were superb. Balcony cabin perfect...a push out.

Loved the stop in Madeira so much that we returned a month ago for  a week on the island.

Weather was perfect. Some days it was too hot to sit out on the balcony mid afternoon for more than an hour or so.  Ocean was like glass.  

Get the picture?  It was a perfect last minute score.

But....after three days we were both ready to jump ship.  We now realize that two sea days is our max.  Three at the most if land is in sight for day four.  In our case it was not.

FLL never looked so good.  Others love it.  Good for them.

Thanks for sharing  your experience with a TA Lancal. 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:00 AM, geer55 said:

We are looking at this particular cruise with the Zuiderdam also ajcathy. Good to read that you like the seadays. We will probably stay 7-10 days in Florida prior to the cruise. If you are considering staying in the Netherlands (or other countries in Europe) please feel free to ask for advice. 

Just returned from Amsterdam after our TA on the Rotterdam in April.  Got to see the tulips.  This was my third time in the Netherlands and I enjoyed this one the most.  Such a civilized place.  Probably going to go to France after this TA.  

The first time we did a lot of sea days was a trip to Hawaii before we had ever done a TA.. I admit that I was longing for land by the time we got there.  I realized what navigators like Coumbus felt when they saw land in the distance.  But that was then. Now, I regret the end of the voyage.