Will Pre-board testing be scrapped?

adoctor

So it seems that nothing has changed in the realm of civil discourse.

There are adults who make an effort the be clear and convincing. Then there are the others who don’t bother to do so.

We can call everyone who does and does make the effort on this forum adults if we like.

As for me, if the rules of we are all bound to follow on Seabourn ships say we should wear masks I will do so. I don’t need to explain the “why” to this crowd.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markham said:

As for me, if the rules of we are all bound to follow on Seabourn ships say we should wear masks I will do so. 

Passengers on Seabourn are not being required, or in practice, asked to wear masks. It is only the crew and in many, many cases they are not wearing them over both their nose and mouth. This is especially true of management. A couple of very visible examples: MDR maitre d’ and Head Chef. 
It really is just theatre. Even the CDC admits that there are no definitive studies on the effectiveness of masks (worn properly) in preventing Covid. 
Yes, people still die of Covid, they also still die of flu and many other viruses. We don’t suggest that cruise ship staff or passengers wear masks because of the flu. All passengers and crew are vaccinated and, in the case of the Quest cruise, tested. 
Not the case for the flu. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It does not benefit Seabourne to require a higher level of precautions than what they are advised as necessary. In fact, I am reasonably sure their policies are as minimally restrictive as possible.  So I will conform , as I hope all others ( staff and guests) will as well 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BuckGood said:

We are all Adults here and Masks have done it’s course in certain areas! 

10 hours ago, labonnevie said:

It really is just theatre. Even the CDC admits that there are no definitive studies on the effectiveness of masks (worn properly) in preventing Covid.

No, it is not theater. Wearing masks was originally promoted as a way to help you from infecting other people. As the science has evolved, and the virus as mutated, the reason for wearing masks now is primarily to protect yourself. It's by no means a 100% get-out-of-jail-free iron-clad prevention, but worn properly ,masks can significantly reduce your chances of catching the virus from someone else who is shedding it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

No, it is not theater. Wearing masks was originally promoted as a way to help you from infecting other people. As the science has evolved, and the virus as mutated, the reason for wearing masks now is primarily to protect yourself. It's by no means a 100% get-out-of-jail-free iron-clad prevention, but worn properly ,masks can significantly reduce your chances of catching the virus from someone else who is shedding it. 

I actually thought that was self-evident but obviously not. Thank you for clarifying.  When we wear masks in the lab working with dangerous organisms, be they viral or bacterial, we wear masks to protect ourselves. Same in the non-clinical environment when we believe infectious organisms to be present. Wearing a well fitted mask when we ourselves are infected will also protect those around us. The degree of that protection naturally depends on the quality of the mask, distribution mechanism of the infectious element etc. Yes, we could compare COVID-19 to the flu virus. People get infected every year with the influenza virus and some die, usually of complications. The difference with COVID-19 is that some are left with long COVID. That’s a complication we still know little about.  Of course it makes sense to have rules that err on the cautious side when we are operating in ignorance. As we learn more those rules can be relaxed. It’s a balancing act. We all have personal ‘rights’  to take risks for ourselves. It’s a delicate question when we balance those rights with the ‘right’ to infect someone else or to burden society with our own infections.  Just a thought. Now let’s go cruising and enjoy. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...