Carnival Panorama or Royal Princess

KEN W

Which of these will most likely have less kids going to the Mexican Rivera in January or February?

Carnival Panorama out of Los Angeles or Royal Princess out of San Francisco?

Our 50th anniversary cruise.

I'd say sailing out of SF would be fewer kids ... but check the school calendars to be sure there's not some kind of 'break' during the time you want to cruise.  Interesting to note  that we are on Royal Princess over Christmas to celebrate OUR 50th anniversary.  We never mind kids (find their antics quite amusing usually) except those kids whose parents pretend they have no responsibility for them. 

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KEN W said:

Which of these will most likely have less kids going to the Mexican Rivera in January or February?

Carnival Panorama out of Los Angeles or Royal Princess out of San Francisco?

Our 50th anniversary cruise.

There are more dogs than kids in SF (not kidding- those are the stats for City/County of SF).

In any case, it’s a toss up. What is different is that, in SF, the cruise terminal is right on the Embarcadero while, for LA, it’s an industrial port with the main local attractions a traffic jam or three away. With SF, you’re talking about   a more manageable destination- 49 square miles surrounded by reality.

Plus, cruising out of the Golden Gate - particularly at sunset - is a sight you’ll remember always.

• Like 2

To me this is a "no brainer" -- Majestic Princess.

The demographic on the Princess ship is a much better match for a couple celebrating their 50th Wedding Anniversary.  (Congratulations, by the way.)  

That being said, every cruise that visits Mexico attracts party-goers.  Even on a Princess cruise you will see many more "buckets of beer" around the pool than, say, an Alaska cruise.

I also agree that sailing from San Francisco will offer more opportunities to either start you celebration a few days prior to your cruise embarkation or extend for a few days after your cruise,  As @Flatbush Flyer suggests, San Francisco is a more concentrated area and has terrific public transportation.  I am a Southern Californian, and I can have a good time in Long Beach, but things are very spread out in the Los Angeles/Long Beach/Orange County metropolis.  For a visitor, transportation to and from various venues is tedious and time consuming.

Have great celebration,

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. We sailed on Star Princess out of San Francisco to Hawaii a few years ago. I booked the Royal on Jan 31 and booked our flights on Princess also.

Looking forward to 10 days away from winter here in Minnesota in February.

Edited by KEN W

12 minutes ago, KEN W said:

Thanks for the replies. We sailed on Star Princess out of San Francisco to Hawaii a few years ago. I booked the Royal on Jan 31 and booked our flights on Princess also.

Looking forward to 10 days away from winter here in Minnesota in February.

I have sailed on both Star Princess and Royal Princess and enjoyed my cruises on both of them.  You will find Royal to be rather different than Star Princess.  I say that in a positive way.  I suggest that you try Royal's specialty restaurants, particularly Sabatini's and Alfredo's.  Alfredo's pizzas are delicious!  Happy 50th Anniversary!