Dover parking

dbjhughes

• 3 weeks later...

Only just noticed your post so you may have sorted out your parking. If not, try this link :

https://www.holidayextras.com/dover-port-hotels/ramada-hotel.html

Looks like you could stay at the Holiday Inn on the night before your cruise and leave the car there until you return for £169. That includes a taxi to the port but you have to get your own taxi back at the end of the cruise. I suspect parking alone at Relyon or Part Parking will cost more !!

We have booked the same thing but with six nights parking in September. 

I'm not sure that is true - when I tried recently I couldn't find a hotel that would let me park for the 4 weeks (I'm on the same cruise) - so I ended up with port parking. 

Pre pandemic I have a memory that there were hotels that did this. 

Strange that the HolidayExtras website allows you to book for the period stated. (I haven't gone right through to confirmation/payment however). My booking for 6 nights extra parking worked out at £116, so at £169 the system is adding more cost to stay for longer. 

We stayed at The Ramada in Dover about ten years ago, which appears to now be The Holiday Inn and they seem to use the same system.  To be fair it was high season (a July cruise to Spitzbergen), but although the hotel booked a taxi to the port, all taxis were turning up about an hour late!  On return we rang for our own taxi and again waited ages (not quite so long though) and we had to stand as there was no waiting area at the port.  When the taxi arrived, (for the return), we quite politely mentioned that we had been waiting a long time and we not only did not get an apology, but we had a tirade about how busy the taxis were and how, since it is only the summer when there is a lot of demand on the taxi service it is not a worthwhile occupation, so they always have a big shortage at times when there is a larger need (i.e. cruise days).  Needless to say we have never risked that again.  There was quite a bit of road noise at the hotel as well and also it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere, so we were a bit stuck for somewhere to eat other than the hotel (though there was an Indian restaurant nearby, which we used).  Could have all changed by now of course, but we did find out after our stay, that they would let you park for free for a cruise if you stayed for two nights instead of just one, could be two nights together, or one each side of the cruise.

More recently we have used Port Parking a few times, which we have always found excellent with prompt transfers for the very short distance to the port (about 5 mins transfer, so much nearer than the Ramada).  They also have a toilet in the office which you can use, so easier to just drive there and head off quickly.  We had also looked closely at Relyon and chose Port Parking, though I cannot remember the reasons for that choice.   

Last March we stayed at the Premier Inn which is out of Dover a few miles to the west and found it good (though I would suggest you check exactly where it is as the post code does not work with sat navs - we were taken to the Chunnel entrance!).  We have been down to Dover a fair number of times over the years for Ferries and cruises and have generally found it better to stay elsewhere in Kent, then head for the port area in plenty of time the next day, though we did have a pleasant day at Dover Castle in March as we stayed two nights there pre-cruise.

Edited by tring

On 8/8/2022 at 5:16 PM, dbjhughes said:

Need parking for 28 nights 27th Sept to 25th Oct in Dover. Choice seems to be Relyon or Port Parking? Which is better/more convenient for the cruise terminal? Any other tips eg good pre-cruise hotel? Thanks. 

The Holiday Inn just outside Dover has a park and go service that costs £5 or £6 a night. 

We've used the cruise car-parking but not since we arrived back off a cruise to find that our car had been damaged while we were away. As we'd paid for "secure parking" we were a bit surprised to be directed to a sign explaining that parking was at our own risk and when we asked for CCT coverage of the car were told that there was none. It was all quickly and amiably settled thanks to my professional background but we were still out of pocket and so we've not been too keen to park there again.

Also cars parked outside at the cruise dock at Dover were damaged in a storms in about 2013. Some of the cars were completely written off and others were unfit to drive when passengers on the Braemar arrived back from a cruise. At least there were people from the insurance companies on site to help.

7 hours ago, lohr500 said:

Strange that the HolidayExtras website allows you to book for the period stated. (I haven't gone right through to confirmation/payment however). My booking for 6 nights extra parking worked out at £116, so at £169 the system is adding more cost to stay for longer. 

The hotel web site only gives offers for two weeks.  When I phoned the hotel, reception said that they had only done bookings up to two weeks.  That's why I went elsewhere.

Fair enough terry2.

I guess it would be an interesting discussion if you booked through HolidayExtras with +/- 30 days parking, only to return from your cruise and find your vehicle clamped or to be presented with a large parking bill :classic_sad:

We will only be away for 7 nights, including the night staying at the hotel, so hopefully no surprises when we return. 

16 minutes ago, lohr500 said:

We will only be away for 7 nights, including the night staying at the hotel, so hopefully no surprises when we return. 

Yes, the hotel does list a package for up to 8 days parking, so that should be fine.  However it is always worth clarifying this with reception when you check in.