What would you do in FLL

Big Spanker

Arriving 3/23/2006 for our 3/26/2006 6 day Liberty cruise. I will have 3 days before our cruise and 2 days after to see some sights. Staying @ Best Western Oceanside. I just rented a car, as my two teenage daughters don't want to sit on the beach all day. Please help

Things to do, places to go, resturants etc. What would you do if you had a few extra days. Thanks in advance

Deanhamy

deanhamy@tds.net

I'd walk around tha Las Olas Riverfront http://www.riverfrontfl.com/downtown/attractions.html eat and shop, perhaps see the King Tut exhibit www.moafl.org , check out the Museum of Science and Discovery www.mods.org , and walk around the corner to the shoppes on 2nd Street. With the car I wouldn't pass up the Saw Grass Mills with over 350 store and outlets you'll be set for the day. http://sawgrassmills.com/static/node784.jsp;jsessionid=alXOTJjjctMa. You can't leave without taking an airboat ride through the Everglades www.evergladesholidaypark.com/

;)

Air boat rides in the Everglades. A scenic cruise along the New river if you like to see how the really rich live, some of them have their own cruise ships in the harbor, they call them yachts :p . Go down to Miami and see South Beach. Fort Lauderdale has some interesting museums. If you like to drive, an hour or so car ride over to Lake Okeechobee through the sugar cane fields is interesting. When you look out over the lake you will think you are back out at sea. If you really like to drive of course there are many easy longer day trips, Disney, Universal or Sea World in Orlando. Kennedy Space Center just north of Cocoa Beach all about 3-1/2 hours or so away. Or go the other way and visit the keys. I am sure a short search of the internet would turn up a lot more to do and see. Now having said that, you are staying at one of the most beautiful beaches for just hanging out on and relaxing in the world. I know I would have a hard time leaving it to go do the tourist thing. Whatever you choose have a great time!

If you have never been to the Keys, I would suggest Key West. Most tourists stay away from there because it is too far. It is DEFINATELY worth the trip. The drive is scenic, and the way of life in Key West is so different. There is a pile of things to do, and you simply MUST get to the main pier at least 60 minutes before sun set. This is a MUST.

I am from Ontario Canada. It is 30 hours of driving to get to Key West and I have done it many times. I bypass all the major cities and beaches to get to the keys. You just have to go once and I guarantee you will be back.

And take alligator alley if you can...... not I75.....

Everglades National Park is a little further drive...maybe 1 1/2 hours...but a nice scenic drive! Small boat tours through the glades...lots of wildlife...dolphins love to play in the wake of these boats. And there are many seafood shacks around here...you've gotta try alligator once in your life!

Since you have a car, another scenic drive is take A1A along the ocean, north, to Palm Beach. You will pass many seaside towns, see many mansions including the Donald's Mar a Lago. Once you get to Palm Beach, check out Worth Avenue with all the ritzy shops (bring money!)...and for more reasonable shopping, stop at CityPlace...a newer outside shopping/restaurant/movie plaza...a nice place to spend the afternoon! One nice restaurant there is Bellagio...get an outside table near the fountains!

And you've gotta do the South Beach thing...maybe during the day is better with the teens. Wear bathing suits in case you want to take a quick dip! And maybe stop in Little Havana for a little cuban coffee, and a lot of local atmosphere!

The Metro Zoo in Miami is one of the premier zoos in the country! Not to be missed!

Nearer to your hotel...Las Olas Boulevard is a nice stroll...shopping, restaurants and something new! Gondola rides on the canals! (Did you know that Ft. Lauderdale is called "the Venice of the Americas?")

Bonnet House is a house and garden tour...good for a couple of hours...see how Florida USED to be! Right near you, off the beach.

Howl at the Moon...dueling pianos...at Beach Place...lots of fun at night!

The teens may like Boomer's, in Boca Raton. A video game, miniature gold, movie complex. You can have lunch WHILE you watch a first-run movie!

Whatever you decide, March is THE best month to visit South Florida! Have fun!

Ruth:)

Archived