Testing put back for European cruises this month

Can’t believe this. I am sailing September 2 and they have reinstated the test requirement. Like what the actual F?

Testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

Unless otherwise stipulated by local regulations (Cruise Travel Requirements by Country) that would supersede our policy, at time of check-in, the following testing requirements would apply:

For all sailings through September 2, 2022:

• All vaccinated guests, regardless of age, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (i.e., PCR) taken within 2 days of the embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. or Canadian port and within 3 days of the embarkation date for cruises originating from a non-U.S./Canadian port.

I just did a chat with NCL and the person confirmed that we do need to test now! I am sailing out of Rome next week. I am frustrated to learn that the guidelines have changed. However, I am glad I have some time to get plans in place to test before we leave.

1 minute ago, PlantoCruise44 said:

I just did a chat with NCL and the person confirmed that we do need to test now! I am sailing out of Rome next week. I am frustrated to learn that the guidelines have changed. However, I am glad I have some time to get plans in place to test before we leave.

Testing before you leave doesn't accomplish anything. You can easily catch something on the plane, in an airport, in a hotel, in a restaurant in Rome before trying to embark. That means you flew all the way there for nothing. This sucks...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlantoCruise44 said:

You have no choice but to plan for that for now, but I still don't think that we have the definitive answer yet. The person you talked to is probably working off the same (possibly incorrect) information as we can see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

Testing before you leave doesn't accomplish anything. You can easily catch something on the plane, in an airport, in a hotel, in a restaurant in Rome before trying to embark. That means you flew all the way there for nothing. This sucks...

If you have the negative test before you leave and it is within the required timeline then it gets you on the ship, regardless of whether you have caught anything on the flight. The test does accomplish that very important thing, and removes the risk of making the flight for nothing.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

If you have the negative test before you leave and it is within the required timeline then it gets you on the ship, regardless of whether you have caught anything on the flight. The test does accomplish that very important thing, and removes the risk of making the flight for nothing.

For European cruises it will be a challenge to have the test before you get on the plane. The test has to be done within three days of embarking. In our case, we fly out on Friday and the ship departs on Tuesday (four days). We would actually have to test on Thursday, since we leave early Friday morning to drive a couple hours to the airport. We are very much at risk of flying all the way there for nothing.

Edited by schmoopie17

4 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

As I said the website information and the email that went out today are completely contradicting. I think it’s got to be a mistake. If I receive the email, I will print out a copy of the email and bring it to the port with me.  

They have already updated the Sail Safe website with the same info in the email. Highly doubtful both areas would be in error.

All vaccinated guests, regardless of age, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (i.e., PCR) taken within 2 days of the embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. or Canadian port and within 3 days of the embarkation date for cruises originating from a non-U.S./Canadian port.

Edited by schmoopie17

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

They have already updated the Sail Safe website with the same info in the email. Highly doubtful both areas would be in error.

All vaccinated guests, regardless of age, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (i.e., PCR) taken within 2 days of the embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. or Canadian port and within 3 days of the embarkation date for cruises originating from a non-U.S./Canadian port.

No the info in the email is different from the sail safe site. 

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), we thank you for your patronage and loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. In advance of your upcoming cruise, we want to ensure that you are fully aware of our latest health and safety protocols, as well as the travel requirements for the destinations we will visit for sailings through and including September 2, 2022. 

We strongly encourage all guests to visit 
www.ncl.com/sail-safe for all vaccination and testing requirements and www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country for all country specific requirements. While these resources are more detailed, below is a summary for your convenience of destination specific protocols: 

PRE-CRUISE COVID-19 TESTING REQUIREMENTS 

Cruises Originating from the U.S.:

- Guests less than 2 years old (vaccinated or unvaccinated): no testing requirements
- Unvaccinated guests age 2 through 11 years old: must provide proof of a negative NAAT (i.e.) PCR test taken within 3 days of embarkation, as well as additional testing at embarkation and disembarkation administered and paid for by NCL
- Vaccinated guests age 2 and older: must provide proof of either a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation; proof of a negative NAAT (i.e. PCR) test taken within 3 days of embarkation or a COVID-19 recovery certificate*
- Unvaccinated guests age 12 and older: unable to cruise. 

Cruises Originating from Canada:

- Guests less than 5 years old (vaccinated or unvaccinated): no testing requirements 
- Unvaccinated guests age 5 through 11 years old: must provide proof of a negative NAAT (i.e.) PCR test taken within 3 days of embarkation, as well as additional testing at embarkation and disembarkation administered and paid for by NCL
- Vaccinated guests age 5 and older: must provide proof of either a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation; proof of a negative NAAT (i.e. PCR) test taken within 3 days of embarkation or a COVID-19 recovery certificate*

Cruises Originating from Piraeus, Greece:

- Guests less than 12 years old (vaccinated or unvaccinated): no testing requirements
- Vaccinated guests age 12 and older: must provide proof of either a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation; proof of a negative NAAT (i.e. PCR) test taken within 3 days of embarkation or a COVID-19 recovery certificate*

All COVID-19 tests, either antigen or NAAT (i.e. PCR) must be administered by a verified third party. Please note, proctored self-administered tests are not accepted for cruises embarking in Greece.

*Please note, a COVID-19 Recovery Certificate may be presented as an alternative to the testing requirement as noted above if you have tested positive within 90 days (US) or 180 days (EU) of your scheduled embarkation date. This excludes all voyages visiting Bermuda. 
- At check in, these guests must have one of the below acceptable forms of COVID-19 Recovery available (dated no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days (US) and 180 days (EU) before embarkation): 
- For European citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate.
- For guests unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e. U.S. citizens), a doctor's note, plus a laboratory-confirmed PCR test result with the proper information (i.e. name, date, date of birth, positive result etc.) will be accepted. 

Cruises originating from all other destinations: 

- All guests are not subject to pre-cruise COVID-19 testing.

1 minute ago, marktwothousand said:

No the info in the email is different from the sail safe site. 

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), we thank you for your patronage and loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. In advance of your upcoming cruise, we want to ensure that you are fully aware of our latest health and safety protocols, as well as the travel requirements for the destinations we will visit for sailings through and including September 2, 2022. 

We strongly encourage all guests to visit 
www.ncl.com/sail-safe for all vaccination and testing requirements and www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country for all country specific requirements. While these resources are more detailed, below is a summary for your convenience of destination specific protocols: 

PRE-CRUISE COVID-19 TESTING REQUIREMENTS 

Cruises Originating from the U.S.:

- Guests less than 2 years old (vaccinated or unvaccinated): no testing requirements
- Unvaccinated guests age 2 through 11 years old: must provide proof of a negative NAAT (i.e.) PCR test taken within 3 days of embarkation, as well as additional testing at embarkation and disembarkation administered and paid for by NCL
- Vaccinated guests age 2 and older: must provide proof of either a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation; proof of a negative NAAT (i.e. PCR) test taken within 3 days of embarkation or a COVID-19 recovery certificate*

Cruises Originating from Canada:

- Guests less than 5 years old (vaccinated or unvaccinated): no testing requirements 
- Unvaccinated guests age 5 through 11 years old: must provide proof of a negative NAAT (i.e.) PCR test taken within 3 days of embarkation, as well as additional testing at embarkation and disembarkation administered and paid for by NCL
- Vaccinated guests age 5 and older: must provide proof of either a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation; proof of a negative NAAT (i.e. PCR) test taken within 3 days of embarkation or a COVID-19 recovery certificate*

Cruises Originating from Piraeus, Greece:

- Guests less than 12 years old (vaccinated or unvaccinated): no testing requirements
- Vaccinated guests age 12 and older: must provide proof of either a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation; proof of a negative NAAT (i.e. PCR) test taken within 3 days of embarkation or a COVID-19 recovery certificate*

All COVID-19 tests, either antigen or NAAT (i.e. PCR) must be administered by a verified third party. Please note, proctored self-administered tests are not accepted for cruises embarking in Greece.

*Please note, a COVID-19 Recovery Certificate may be presented as an alternative to the testing requirement as noted above if you have tested positive within 90 days (US) or 180 days (EU) of your scheduled embarkation date. This excludes all voyages visiting Bermuda. 
- At check in, these guests must have one of the below acceptable forms of COVID-19 Recovery available (dated no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days (US) and 180 days (EU) before embarkation): 
- For European citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate.
- For guests unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e. U.S. citizens), a doctor's note, plus a laboratory-confirmed PCR test result with the proper information (i.e. name, date, date of birth, positive result etc.) will be accepted. 

- All guests are not subject to pre-cruise COVID-19 testing.

That's what the website says now..

Edited by KeithJenner

3 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Not seeing it updated on my end. Could you send a link to the sail safe page you’re looking at? Still seeing the TESTING REQUIRED here 

NCL links never work when I provide them as they are on the UK site. Maybe ours has changed before yours (it has updated recently).

I'll try pasting it:

Testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

For cruises originating from a U.S. port:

Age Vaccinated Unvaccinated
< 2 years No testing requirement. No testing requirement.
2-11 years Provide proof of one of the following:
1. Negative COVID-19 antigen test result administered by a verified third party within two days of the embarkation date
2. NAAT test (i.e. PCR) administered by a verified third party within three days of embarkation date
3. COVID-19 Recovery Certificate*
Negative NAAT test (i.e., PCR) result administered by a verified third party within three days of the embarkation date, as well as additional antigen testing at embarkation and disembarkation administered and paid for by NCL.
≥ 12 years Provide proof of one of the following:

1. Negative COVID-19 antigen test result administered by a verified third party within two days of the embarkation date

2. NAAT test (i.e. PCR) administered by a verified third party within three days of embarkation date

Unable to cruise.

For cruises originating from a Canadian port:

< 5 years No testing requirement. No testing requirement.
5-11 years Provide proof of one of the following:
Negative NAAT test (i.e., PCR) result administered by a verified third party within three days of the embarkation date, as well as additional antigen testing at embarkation and disembarkation administered and paid for by NCL.
Unable to cruise.

For cruises originating from Piraeus, Greece:

< 12 years No testing requirement. No testing requirement.
Unable to cruise.

• At check in, these guests must have one of the below acceptable forms of COVID-19 Recovery available (dated no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days (US) and 180 days (EU) before embarkation):
    • For European citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate.
    • For guests unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e. U.S. citizens), a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory-confirmed PCR test result with the proper information (i.e. name, date, date of birth, positive result etc.) will be accepted.

• All guests are not subject to pre-cruise COVID-19 testing.

8 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

WOW...I just refreshed my screen in Sail Safe and it now shows what @KeithJenner is showing. They must like the British more than Americans. 

I’m sailing out of Rome this week and I am just as confused as everyone. The website here in Canada does not show that update as of yet…

1 minute ago, CruisingMelly said:

I’m sailing out of Rome this week and I am just as confused as everyone. The website here in Canada does not show that update as of yet…

Yup no update on Canadian website here either. NCL agents on phone continue to be clueless and say testing is required. Still on hold with NCL figuring it out

3 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Yup no update on Canadian website here either. NCL agents on phone continue to be clueless and say testing is required. Still on hold with NCL figuring it out

I spoke with a NCL chat agent this morning and they stated we did not need a test and gave me this website: 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/do-i-need-take-covid-19-test-prior-arrival-terminal

I did also speak to an agent on the phone and at first they said we needed a test but then stated we didn’t after reading the country requirements. 

PLease  do not depend on anything an "NCL Phone Line Representative" has information for.  Keep checking website, hopefully more clear definitions will come forward.  I have been dealing with misinformation since I booked an Alaska Cruise just on Friday August 5th.  Unbelievable, but know now, at least if you are going to call in for information, do it no less than 3 times, to try to get 2 same answers.  sorry rambling, but do not depend on any phone call information!

• Like 2