Royal Caribbean Shore Excursion Accessibility

slyster

I booked all regular excursions, thankfully with mild activity levels and most likely all on buses.  I just injured myself and have to rent a scooter for longer distances.  I can still walk and can get on the buses.  I tried to contact the cruiseline but they said it's too cloe to sailing so I need to contact the shore excursions desk when I get on board.

I'm just thinking ahead and wonder if you all have experiences of getting scooters on the buses (or underneath) or if they will make me go on the tours without the scooter OR try to schedule me and my party to another accessible excursion.  Any experiences?  

It might depend on the port and bus.We booked a regular excursion through Royal this past June in Bilbao, Spain. The bus was equipped with a wheelchair lift. My husband was able to board the bus via the lift and transfer himself to a seat. The driver then stored his wheelchair underneath the bus. Hope this helps.

It's a little more difficult with a scooter.  Because they are so heavy (usually) many busses do not want to take them on, which would require their drivers to lift them into the hold.  Also, it may be possible that your excursions are on smaller busses or busses without a hold at all.  Be prepared to have to make adjustments to continue on your pre-booked excursions or to be satisfied with changing your excursions.

• Thanks 1

Well, the one thing I can say from past experience is that the Shore Excursion desk has never been very helpful when it comes to accessible excursions.  

For accessible excursions, unless the excursion description says the transportation provided has a lift, you will probably not be able to take the scooter.  

• Thanks 1