Looking for pre cruise cabin or rental anywhere from anchorage to Seward.

Mountaineer0313

We were booked at Summit Lake Lodge for 3 nights prior to our cruise on September 9th and received an email today that they’re closing down September 5th. They said we can still stay, but the restaurant and all facilities will be closed. So I’m taking this as a sign that maybe there’s something better out there. Looking for a cabin/cottage/house (no shared units or room rentals), somewhere between anchorage and Seward. A good view is a must, on a body of water even better, a washer and dryer would make me really happy,  preferably through a legit rental company. Any suggestions? 

Edited by Mountaineer0313
Type

You mean BETWEEN Anchorage and Seward--and not Anchorage or Seward?   Have you tried Millers Landing?   They are in Seward (sort of).  Cabins overlook Resurrection Bay, I would see rainbows out the window.  Rustic, but kayaking, fishing, and boating are right there.  I liked it, but you have to be okay with the location and the less-than-numerous nearby food options.

5 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

You mean BETWEEN Anchorage and Seward--and not Anchorage or Seward?   Have you tried Millers Landing?   They are in Seward (sort of).  Cabins overlook Resurrection Bay, I would see rainbows out the window.  Rustic, but kayaking, fishing, and boating are right there.  I liked it, but you have to be okay with the location and the less-than-numerous nearby food options.

yes. Anywhere between anchorage and Seward. I was actually just looking at Millers Landing. They have a few that are not rustic at all (I’m not a rustic type girl lol), which I will check out better tomorrow. We’ll have a car, so food not being next door is fine. We tend to drive around a lot anywhere we go. Driving into Seward and even up to Girdwood are on the itinerary. 

2 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

yes. Anywhere between anchorage and Seward. I was actually just looking at Millers Landing. They have a few that are not rustic at all (I’m not a rustic type girl lol), which I will check out better tomorrow. We’ll have a car, so food not being next door is fine. We tend to drive around a lot anywhere we go. Driving into Seward and even up to Girdwood are on the itinerary. 

I might have outdated information, but careful making that drive out to Millers Landing.  Patience.  Lots of potholes; you have to drive slow.   If you're not outdoorsy, Millers Landing may not be for you; other than they might actually have availability and they do have good, unspoiled waterfront.

7 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I might have outdated information, but careful making that drive out to Millers Landing.  Patience.  Lots of potholes; you have to drive slow.   If you're not outdoorsy, Millers Landing may not be for you; other than they might actually have availability and they do have good, unspoiled waterfront.

I live in the land of potholes.  But a few of the rentals there look like very nice, normal, , modern, indoor plumbed places. Am I off base? 

A few of the rentals are that.  Even the low-end ones have plumbing.    It's more that you are located near Millers Landing (who is basically an outfitter who happens to rent out cabins), and your lack of proximity to the rest of town.

Edited by tetleytea

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

A few of the rentals are that.  Even the low-end ones have plumbing.    It's more that you are located near Millers Landing (who is basically an outfitter who happens to rent out cabins), and your lack of proximity to the rest of town.

But it says Millers Landing is 12 minutes from the Seward Boat Harbor, which is right in the center of town? Am I missing something?

Edited by Mountaineer0313

17 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

@Mountaineer0313

You’ll find rentals around your criteria in Seward but also in Girdwood. For 3 days in the same spot, which is a bit long really, I do wonder what activities you are looking at which would be a bigger priority on where we’d stay. 

No activities. We do have a Major Marine tour on the 8th, but otherwise, driving around, looking at sights, eating food. We are not hikers or outdoorsy people and are happy to sit on our porch and watch the view, which is why a view is very important for the rental.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

No activities. We do have a Major Marine tour on the 8th, but otherwise, driving around, looking at sights, eating food. We are not hikers or outdoorsy people and are happy to sit on our porch and watch the view, which is why a view is very important for the rental.

For 3 days, I’d avoid Millers Landing if you stay in Seward. Although the drive is fairly short back into town you’ll find you are driving it a lot as most of the activities will be in that direction including restaurants. You may find a diamond-in-the-rough place to stay out there but the area in general is unappealing other than the views.   

Just based on “driving around”, I’d choose Girdwood. The drive along Turnagain Arm is one of the most scenic in the state.  You’d be about 45 minutes from Anchorage and 1.5 hours from Seward.  You can catch the Glacier Discover train at the Portage station just south of Girdwood at 1:25pm and returns at 5:15pm. Although fairly short, it packs in some great scenery including Spencer Glacier and Grandview.

If you qualify to stay at military resorts (retired, disabled veteran or active duty) there is a great resort just outside of downtown Seward - Seward Military Resort.  There are many options, from cabins to townhouse style to motel, most with fireplaces.

I was in Seward last week.  I would not stay at Miller's Landing.  It was beyond rustic and the access road nearly impassable due to rock slides and construction, not to mention the wheel devouring potholes.  You cannot walk into town from Miller's Landing.

Seward's waterfront and downtown is compact, walkable, and worth some time.  The Sea Life Center on the waterfront was a great facility, funded by Exxon Valdez $$.  You can book specialized tours within the center (best to book online, in advance.)  There is a large park and walking path along the waterfront with mountain views and the occasional bald eagle, sea otter or seal.  We spent three days in Seward and very much enjoyed our time there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

For 3 days, I’d avoid Millers Landing if you stay in Seward. Although the drive is fairly short back into town you’ll find you are driving it a lot as most of the activities will be in that direction including restaurants. You may find a diamond-in-the-rough place to stay out there but the area in general is unappealing other than the views.   

Just based on “driving around”, I’d choose Girdwood. The drive along Turnagain Arm is one of the most scenic in the state.  You’d be about 45 minutes from Anchorage and 1.5 hours from Seward.  You can catch the Glacier Discover train at the Portage station just south of Girdwood at 1:25pm and returns at 5:15pm. Although fairly short, it packs in some great scenery including Spencer Glacier and Grandview.

We stayed at the Alyeska resort last time, and Girdwood was the first place I looked, but I can't seem to find anywhere that has any type of view. Any recommendations?

18 minutes ago, PNW Traveler said:

If you qualify to stay at military resorts (retired, disabled veteran or active duty) there is a great resort just outside of downtown Seward - Seward Military Resort.  There are many options, from cabins to townhouse style to motel, most with fireplaces.

I was in Seward last week.  I would not stay at Miller's Landing.  It was beyond rustic and the access road nearly impassable due to rock slides and construction, not to mention the wheel devouring potholes.  You cannot walk into town from Miller's Landing.

Seward's waterfront and downtown is compact, walkable, and worth some time.  The Sea Life Center on the waterfront was a great facility, funded by Exxon Valdez $$.  You can book specialized tours within the center (best to book online, in advance.)  There is a large park and walking path along the waterfront with mountain views and the occasional bald eagle, sea otter or seal.  We spent three days in Seward and very much enjoyed our time there.

No military, so that's out. 

Also, no interest in walking to town lol.

Do you have any recommendations for a place to stay in Seward proper that would have outstanding mountain views, preferably right on the water?

2 hours ago, PNW Traveler said:

Thanks for mentioning this; I just recently became aware of this option and am considering it for our trip next year.  Have you stayed there?  Reviews seem to vary a lot...I guess it depends what you're expecting.

40 minutes ago, Pluto_fan said:

Thanks for mentioning this; I just recently became aware of this option and am considering it for our trip next year.  Have you stayed there?  Reviews seem to vary a lot...I guess it depends what you're expecting.

I would not stay in the motel part.  The townhouse units and the log cabin were nice.  We were there in an RV and visited the office, the laundry and the gift shop 🙂

We plan to return and rent a townhouse unit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

No military, so that's out. 

Also, no interest in walking to town lol.

Do you have any recommendations for a place to stay in Seward proper that would have outstanding mountain views, preferably right on the water?

Consider using Tripadvisor or similar, utilizing the map feature as well as the reviews.  Seward has a long very narrow park along most of the waterfront in the downtown area.  There are several downtown hotels built to take advantage of waterfront views.

Don't miss the great gelato downtown!

6 minutes ago, PNW Traveler said:

Consider using Tripadvisor or similar, utilizing the map feature as well as the reviews.  Seward has a long very narrow park along most of the waterfront in the downtown area.  There are several downtown hotels built to take advantage of waterfront views.

Don't miss the great gelato downtown!

All the hotels are booked for all or part of the days I need. The waterfront downtown hotels were the first ones I checked.

1 hour ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

All the hotels are booked for all or part of the days I need. The waterfront downtown hotels were the first ones I checked.

We checked out these cabins while in Seward.  They were nice.  The location is quiet and grounds were attractive.  The location is just outside of Seward.

https://boxcanyoncabin.com/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PNW Traveler said:

I would not stay in the motel part.  The townhouse units and the log cabin were nice.  We were there in an RV and visited the office, the laundry and the gift shop 🙂

We plan to return and rent a townhouse unit.

That's great intel, thank you!  We're a family of 5 so we'd go for the townhouse as well.

5 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

That's why I brought up Millers Landing.   Availability.  Beggars can't be choosers.  I kayaked into town a couple times.  Not my normal commute.

16 hours ago, tetleytea said:

That's why I brought up Millers Landing.   Availability.  Beggars can't be choosers.  I kayaked into town a couple times.  Not my normal commute.

Yes, I had already found Millers Landing prior to this post, and actually really like it, but everyone is telling me no because apparently it's too far from town? Though google maps says 12 minutes to Seward, and Google earth shows just a regular old, poorly maintained road that I'm used to driving on every day of my life, so I'm not sure why it's a bad idea. Though they're all booked anyway for my dates. This all sucks, because I booked our original place a year ago, and was just told the other day that they will be closing down for the season early. I still have the option to stay though, so I'm just exploring my options.

It's really more like 30 minutes from town, and normally one could walk to town if the weather's good.   There is even a cool waterfall along the way.  I estimate the walk is like 45 minutes--not much longer than the drive (it's just a question of working out your calves vs. working out the rental car's shocks).  And once you get into town, one of the first places you will cross by is the Alaska Marine Wildlife Center.

If the availability's not there, then that kind of defeats the purpose.  I like it there, but it's not for everybody (especially the older cruise demographic).

Everyone is not telling you no. You were actually given a couple of suggestions in that area on TripAdvisor. Did those not work out for you?  It’s not the most popular area to stay in so you’re not going to get a ton of suggestions. We’ve hiked in the area and caught water taxis to a remote cabin from there but we find it so much more convenient to stay in town.  You’re late to the party and it will be increasing difficult to find a different place around your critieria. Sounds as though the accommodation you originally booked is still available and it’s due to the restaurant closer that’s the problem. Seems if you’re good with driving the road into town that’s a minor issue.  You might contact the Seward Visitor Center/Chamber to see what they suggest.  https://www.seward.com/

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Everyone is not telling you no. You were actually given a couple of suggestions in that area on TripAdvisor. Did those not work out for you?  It’s not the most popular area to stay in so you’re not going to get a ton of suggestions. We’ve hiked in the area and caught water taxis to a remote cabin from there but we find it so much more convenient to stay in town.  You’re late to the party and it will be increasing difficult to find a different place around your critieria. Sounds as though the accommodation you originally booked is still available and it’s due to the restaurant closer that’s the problem. Seems if you’re good with driving the road into town that’s a minor issue.  You might contact the Seward Visitor Center/Chamber to see what they suggest.  https://www.seward.com/

I figured Seward would be a very popular area to stay, considering the cruises leave from there. I didn't really get any recommendations besides Angels Rest on my Trip Advisor post, which I had already looked at and they are booked. Did I miss some?