Can I get travel insurance for my 90 year old Mom with pacemaker?

zanydoc

Hello! I’ve booked a an RCCL cruise within the final payment  window for Allure Oct 1st for my Mom’s 90th birthday cruise and my birthday, too-although not quite as exciting birthday number! I thought I would go ahead and get the travel insurance now, like I always do with my family, but I just didn’t even think about the pre-existing situation that I have now encountered with trying to get it with my Mom added on. She has had a pacemaker for years and takes heart medicine-the same ones for years. Does anyone have any advice or personal experience for what company may provide travel insurance under these circumstances for our cruise? Or are we just SOL? I have contacted my TA as well, but haven’t heard back from her yet, so I thought I’d put the question up to you all. Thanks in advance for any help! 

30 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Hello! I’ve booked a an RCCL cruise within the final payment  window for Allure Oct 1st for my Mom’s 90th birthday cruise and my birthday, too-although not quite as exciting birthday number! I thought I would go ahead and get the travel insurance now, like I always do with my family, but I just didn’t even think about the pre-existing situation that I have now encountered with trying to get it with my Mom added on. She has had a pacemaker for years and takes heart medicine-the same ones for years. Does anyone have any advice or personal experience for what company may provide travel insurance under these circumstances for our cruise? Or are we just SOL? I have contacted my TA as well, but haven’t heard back from her yet, so I thought I’d put the question up to you all. Thanks in advance for any help! 

Did you contact Steve at www.TripInsuranceStore.com as suggested in your other posting on another CC subforum?

And as also mentioned there, there is likely to be a strict deadline on getting coverage that would cover any pre-existing conditions, so... time is of the essence... 

*Call* them.  Don't try to rely upon online policy summaries, as there is just no way there is enough space in summaries to cover all of the issues or concerns that every traveler might have.

And they can also ask you some questions to help you get a policy that best meets your specific needs/plans.

We've purchased quite a few policies from them since learning about them here on CC in 2013.  And we've had several claims, including a few large ones; all were paid without nonsense, and that's what counts, after all!

Good luck.  It sounds like a great trip!

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good advice from @GeezerCouple.  Do not heed the advice given by several on the other thread to get the Royal Caribbean insurance.  The good thing as some posters stated is the premiums are not age dependent.  The bad thing is the medical limit is $25K and it does not cover pre-existing conditions.  Depending on your mother's situation she may not have a  pre-existing condition, but she probably does.  I would make sure you know for certain.

Here is Royal Caribbean's definition:

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to the Effective Date of Your coverage for which You or Your Traveling Companion or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with You: 1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before Your coverage is effective under this Certificate.

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Did you contact Steve at www.TripInsuranceStore.com as suggested in your other posting on another CC subforum?

And as also mentioned there, there is likely to be a strict deadline on getting coverage that would cover any pre-existing conditions, so... time is of the essence... 

*Call* them.  Don't try to rely upon online policy summaries, as there is just no way there is enough space in summaries to cover all of the issues or concerns that every traveler might have.

And they can also ask you some questions to help you get a policy that best meets your specific needs/plans.

We've purchased quite a few policies from them since learning about them here on CC in 2013.  And we've had several claims, including a few large ones; all were paid without nonsense, and that's what counts, after all!

Good luck.  It sounds like a great trip!

GC

Thank you-yes, I emailed him directly as well!