Rough Seas To Bermuda?

scooter123

I have heard that seas can be extremely rough going to Bermuda. Does anyone know the best time for calm seas and the worst time for rough seas? What's it like in July? How do people feel about cruising during hurricane season? Thanks for the information.

We have sailed to bermuda 4 times in september. On two of the trips there was a great deal of hurricane activity going on in the caribbean. Last year we were aboard during Katrina. ALthough the atlantic is usually choppier than the caribbean it has never caused us any problem- and I am a terrible sailor. I always take bonine on any cruise. The nice thing about this cruise is that the actual time at sea is pretty short- most of the time you're at dock. When there is storm activity at sea you may have to chose your beaches carefully - just go to the other side of the island.

Of course if you are unlucky enough to be aboard when a hurricane is actually coming toward Bermuda it may divert your cruise. However that doesn't happen often- and in my view a cruise to nowhere is better than sitting home.

The advantage of the fall is that the island is less crowded, the seas are nice and warm (warmer than the spring) there are no jellyfish (they like the warmer summer months) AND THE PRICES ARE REALLY REALLY LOW So low that we have been able to take off in september and have it not really even count as a vacation- just kind of a weekend away budget wise. Unfortunately this year because of family commitements we have to go in May. It is costing us almost double for our cabin.

SOOOOOO the fall can be iffy and a little choppy but the rewards are huge. Whenever you go Bermuda is lovely and you'll have a wonderful time.

Bear in mind that hurricanes are really big and easily tracked by weather satellites. Cruise ships have plenty of warning of where hurricanes are. You need not worry that your cruise ship is going to sail through a hurricane.

As for how rough the seas are going to Bermuda anything is possible, there could be sizeable waves or nothing at all. Some cruisers have posted that the seas were like glass en route to Bermuda, others have had a bumpier ride.

Guess your on the Delmarva Peninsula .. we are on the NJ Peninsula...

Having water around us is a norm... Bermuda has a great location as if it was an oasis in the Water for all the 27 + islands making it up...

Going there is an adventuire each time now with airfare at $49 rt it is better..

On the water off NC it can get rough but the ships Captain Officers and mates can tell prior now and steer away from most of it...

We like to leave by Ship from NJ the old US Navy base in Bayonne no not the one in France *S*

and/or the one in NYC on the Hudson river...

The cruise lines I do hope have other smaller ships made fro Bermuda runs as it is the most Profitable run for them ....

Even go on the Lewes Cape May Ferry a 45 min jaunt and see the waters it is comparable in a smaller scale..

:D

Archived