How Long Should a Refund Take?

Bigdadofthesea

About a month ago I cancelled a Trans Atlantic cruise after Holland America radically changed both it’s dates and itinerary. After a bit of back and forth I was promised a full refund. Based on people’s past experience how much  longer should I expect to wait to receive it ? Does anyone have a good phone number or e-mail address to check on the status of the refund?  I’ve called and was given another number that seems perpetually busy. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Not feeling warm and fuzzy towards HAL at the moment.

Did you look at your online credit card account?  Paper statements are always out of date by time you get them.  Credit card credits usually take up to 14 days to show up on your online account after the merchant issues the credit card.    What date did you cancel?

Edited by Mary229

HAL states on their out-of-pocket expense form that it takes 4 to 6 weeks to process your claim, but could take up to 10 weeks. They are also very busy right now due to many cancellations, trip interruptions, etc. They also process the people they cancel before anyone who cancels themselves. I have a feeling their queue is very, very long.

I have access to my credit card account online. No refund is showing. My sense is HAL is not like other merchants. For some reason they process refunds much more slowly. I think it should be a simple matter to refund a deposit, but that does not seem to be the case. Not great customer service. I appreciate there may be a queue of some sort (not sure why when they only need to refund a deposit). Interested in knowing other peoples experiences and/or whether there is a practical way to check on the refund’s status.

Edited by Bigdadofthesea