Mobility scooter advice

Suebiker

On 8/24/2022 at 4:33 PM, Host Sharon said:

Perhaps they should do as Saga do, and store mobility scooters and wheelchairs, not needed on board, by the gangway ready to take ashore.

That would be perfect - I might enquire if it would be possible.  I guess it would probably be down to whether they have storage space.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, Suebiker said:

That would be perfect - I might enquire if it would be possible.  I guess it would probably be down to whether they have storage space.

The problem you would have there is Charging Battery for next day use.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:34 PM, Suebiker said:

I will - If I decide to buy one - just an idea at the moment.  Hence my post just seeing if anyone has actually done this.  

Of you could consider hiring one from Mobility at Sea who work with p&o and many other cruise companies and if you know your Cabin No they will tel you what size is allowed in that cabin.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 7:58 PM, AnnieC said:

I knew you weren't as will many others. So sorry some people don't read posts properly.

Hope it all works out for you. Take care.

Perhaps you should read my post carefully as well as i was answering what Sue posted.

16 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Of you could consider hiring one from Mobility at Sea who work with p&o and many other cruise companies and if you know your Cabin No they will tel you what size is allowed in that cabin.

You would still be restricted to a suite or adaptef cabin.

47 minutes ago, daiB said:

You would still be restricted to a suite or adaptef cabin.

I understand where your coming from but when the OP fills in the Accessible Form when they say they are not a Full Time Wheelchair user or Full Time Scooter user they will be only allowed to book a Partially Accessible Cabin which Mobility at Sea can advise them on having different sizes of Scooters to hire and know the sizes allowed in each Cabin.

I had booked a cruise this year that i Cancelled due to the on going question on Covid and they had advised me what size of Scooter i was allowed in Cabin when P&O changed my Cabin from Fully Accessible to Partially Accessible which was just as they re-graded the Accessible Cabins.

4 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

I understand where your coming from but when the OP fills in the Accessible Form when they say they are not a Full Time Wheelchair user or Full Time Scooter user they will be only allowed to book a Partially Accessible Cabin which Mobility at Sea can advise them on having different sizes of Scooters to hire and know the sizes allowed in each Cabin.

I had booked a cruise this year that i Cancelled due to the on going question on Covid and they had advised me what size of Scooter i was allowed in Cabin when P&O changed my Cabin from Fully Accessible to Partially Accessible which was just as they re-graded the Accessible Cabins.

I believe that was specific to some of Iona's inside cabins, AFAIK the only other ship to have any partially accessible cabins is Arcadia, and presumably some of Arvia's inside cabins will also now be classified as partially accessible.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe that was specific to some of Iona's inside cabins, AFAIK the only other ship to have any partially accessible cabins is Arcadia, and presumably some of Arvia's inside cabins will also now be classified as partially accessible.

Sorry i'm booked on Iona in April in a Partial Accessible Cabin and on Britannia in June in Partial.

Every ship that had Fully Accessible Cabins that there is not enough space for a Full time Wheelchair User or Scooter User to turn around in were re-classified as Partial.

Indeed 3 wheel scooters are very unstable , even the ones with 2 wheels close together at the front . I would recommend autofold scooter , they are 4 wheelers folds automatic with keyfob , take up little space ,can be manoeuvred like a wheely case and uses a very lightweight lithium battery which could be taken off scooter and charged in cabin if required 

On 8/24/2022 at 3:11 PM, packercruising said:

So a standard balcony would not be allowed for a scooter like the OP showed? I am just starting to check on this, because DW will have a scooter like that. She won't need it on the ship.

Sorry i dont visit often. You cannot take any scooter into a standard cabin. Only a suite or an adapted cabin. Foldable wheelchairs are different, manual or moterised can go in any cabin.

7 minutes ago, daiB said:

Sorry i dont visit often. You cannot take any scooter into a standard cabin. Only a suite or an adapted cabin. Foldable wheelchairs are different, manual or moterised can go in any cabin.

Dai, is that for definite, I thought only manual folding wheelchairs were allowed in a standard cabin on P&O? Because now there are many powered wheelchairs that will fold, and also there are also some scooters that will fold into a similar size, and if P&O allow folding powered wheelchairs, how can they continue not to permit scooters, which fold into a similar size?

On 8/30/2022 at 4:48 PM, AnnieC said:

That's fine, I'm happy for you to have the last word.😂

Thanks Annie -  there's always one !!!!!!!  Not sure where in any of my post's I actually asked if "I could get away with it!!!!!!"  I have read them through several times  and still can't find it!!!!!!!  

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 2:08 PM, terrierjohn said:

Dai, is that for definite, I thought only manual folding wheelchairs were allowed in a standard cabin on P&O? Because now there are many powered wheelchairs that will fold, and also there are also some scooters that will fold into a similar size, and if P&O allow folding powered wheelchairs, how can they continue not to permit scooters, which fold into a similar size?

John no folding powered wheelchairs are permitted in any cabin as long as they fit in the door

Dai

On 9/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, Suebiker said:

Thanks Annie -  there's always one !!!!!!!  Not sure where in any of my post's I actually asked if "I could get away with it!!!!!!"  I have read them through several times  and still can't find it!!!!!!!  

Again read what i wrote. I said i had not read any post which claimed that they had got awsy with a folding scooter. I never accused you of trying to do so. You asked if it is possible as many have before. It is no.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:34 PM, Suebiker said:

I will - If I decide to buy one - just an idea at the moment.  Hence my post just seeing if anyone has actually done this.  

I should contact P&O at Carnival House and ask to speak to the mobility Department.  The issues they have are type approval (large fast road equipped machines with number plates are unacceptable) but there must be a cut off point.  Similarly whether a unit which folds into a suitcase for ashore only might be classified differently. Whether you need a special cabin for the unit is another issue. You can only get an answer which is definitive from the cruise line.

Regards John Watson

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, john watson said:

I should contact P&O at Carnival House and ask to speak to the mobility Department.  The issues they have are type approval (large fast road equipped machines with number plates are unacceptable) but there must be a cut off point.  Similarly whether a unit which folds into a suitcase for ashore only might be classified differently. Whether you need a special cabin for the unit is another issue. You can only get an answer which is definitive from the cruise line.

Regards John Watson

John, this has been an issue for many years. In a standard cabin you cannot have a mobility scooter of any type.

This is on NCL's website concerning motorized scooters;

Motorized wheelchairs and scooters are allowed in our accessible staterooms provided that they are powered by gel-cell batteries and the chargers must be adaptable to 110 volts. Should you choose a stateroom that has not been designated as accessible, you will need to bring a collapsible wheelchair, or if you have a motorized wheelchair or scooter, the width must not exceed 26 inches to enter the stateroom door. All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:27 PM, daiB said:

John, this has been an issue for many years. In a standard cabin you cannot have a mobility scooter of any type.

The only thing I can suggest is as many people as possible should pressure the cruise line and get their MP's involved.  There is no logic to "ashore only" scooters being unacceptable.  What is the cruise lines policy on bicycles. Some cruise lines accept these following the green carbon footprint lobby and have them stored in the hold.

Regards John

• Haha 2