Nieuw Amsterdan--Queen's Lounge/Culinary Arts Center on Deck 2

12cruise2

On the Signature Class ships (Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam) the venue is BB King's, and they do the Culinary Arts Center presentations there as well.

We're sailing NA next Spring to the Caribbean, and we're really looking forward to it!

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

On the Signature Class ships (Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam) the venue is BB King's, and they do the Culinary Arts Center presentations there as well.

We're sailing NA next Spring to the Caribbean, and we're really looking forward to it!

On NA and Eurodam, the name has been changed to the Queens Lounge/Culinary Arts Center; BB King's is no longer listed in the name; however, they are listed for three performances (BBKing's) tonight on the Eurodam!  Boy, sneaky listing it on the deck plan now as the QL/CAC because anyone booking cabins around that venue surely should be made aware that it is a loud music venue all evening; shady work--that music reverberates through two floors up and down on the "frame" of the ship so one gets boom, boom, boom of the base in the band, even if you are two floors above and not over the band itself.  Our cabin got changed on us without our permission when HA changed cabins for cov. isolation, so we were under BBK's--never again--and this was for several weeks.  Of course we complained, etc., but that's not the point of this thread.

We're on the Eurodam now, and will be on the NA Dec/Jan, and were on it 9 weeks last fall 2021.

Edited by 12cruise2

Hubby and I unfortunately and I say again unfortunately found ourselves above BB Kings - they played every night --- could have easily been avoided by us --- if we had known, but way too late as we lay down on our 1st night out of 35 nights. We complained and we were offered $500 compo...not nearly enough for what we had to endure. Ship was full. This was just before covid. I can't believe that HAL's practice of not making people aware continues....but then again, WHY - marketing, markets around any/all problems - how do they sell, sell, sell. But NEVER again for us.

1 hour ago, mouseterd1 said:

Hubby and I unfortunately and I say again unfortunately found ourselves above BB Kings - they played every night --- could have easily been avoided by us --- if we had known, but way too late as we lay down on our 1st night out of 35 nights. We complained and we were offered $500 compo...not nearly enough for what we had to endure. Ship was full. This was just before covid. I can't believe that HAL's practice of not making people aware continues....but then again, WHY - marketing, markets around any/all problems - how do they sell, sell, sell. But NEVER again for us.

I think it's unfair to single out HAL for not informing that a cabin was above or below a music venue.  I don't recall any cruise lines--nor hotels--informing guests that cabins x, y, or z may be potentially noisy.

There are lots of noisy areas on ships beyond those near music venues.  People complain about noise from being under kitchens, buffets, pool decks, etc. plus areas with lots of vibration.  None of the cabins in those areas are pointed out as potentially noisy either.

A good TA might be able to assist in booking rooms away from noise.  If you are self booking, about all you can do is study the deck plans to see what potentially noisy area might be above or below you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

On NA and Eurodam, the name has been changed to the Queens Lounge/Culinary Arts Center; BB King's is no longer listed in the name; however, they are listed for three performances (BBKing's) tonight on the Eurodam!  Boy, sneaky listing it on the deck plan now as the QL/CAC because anyone booking cabins around that venue surely should be made aware that it is a loud music venue all evening; shady work--that music reverberates through two floors up and down on the "frame" of the ship so one gets boom, boom, boom of the base in the band, even if you are two floors above and not over the band itself.  Our cabin got changed on us without our permission when HA changed cabins for cov. isolation, so we were under BBK's--never again--and this was for several weeks.  Of course we complained, etc., but that's not the point of this thread.

We're on the Eurodam now, and will be on the NA Dec/Jan, and were on it 9 weeks last fall 2021.

Hmmmmmm, you must be looking at different deck plan than I am. Here is the one that is currently on HAL's site: 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-nieuw-amsterdam/4.html

which clearly shows the space on deck 2 as BB King's. This is how it was configured on our last Eurodam sailing, and what we expect on our upcoming NA cruise next Spring. Not sure I understand the confusion..

15 hours ago, mouseterd1 said:

Again, the current deck plan clearly identifies the space on deck 2 as BB King's (music venue).

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-nieuw-amsterdam/4.html

Not sure how you 'unfortunately found yourselves above BB King's' unless you neglected to review the ship's deck plan prior to booking a cabin above that venue.

If you'll look at this web site below, which I've relied on for months and found to be spot on, you'll see the name has been changed.  If I see the Entertainment Director again here on the Eurodam, or another officer, I'll ask about the specifics as to when the name change is effective.  Again, the importance is for future cruise bookings for anyone wanting to try to be away from the music venues--misleading new name for sure.  Also, this was mentioned several months ago in passing on cruise critic.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Eurodam&deck=2

Edited by 12cruise2

15 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

I think it's unfair to single out HAL for not informing that a cabin was above or below a music venue.  I don't recall any cruise lines--nor hotels--informing guests that cabins x, y, or z may be potentially noisy.

There are lots of noisy areas on ships beyond those near music venues.  People complain about noise from being under kitchens, buffets, pool decks, etc. plus areas with lots of vibration.  None of the cabins in those areas are pointed out as potentially noisy either.

A good TA might be able to assist in booking rooms away from noise.  If you are self booking, about all you can do is study the deck plans to see what potentially noisy area might be above or below you.

I'm certainly not singling out HAL; all cruise lines do it; my whole point is that if they don't name the venue appropriately, it is extremely misleading for those of us who are trying our best to book away from the noise.  And yes, on another ship, we were DIRECTLY under the kitchen prep area where at 2:30 they were chopping with knives, as hard as they could, directly above our heads.  A guest relations rep came to the room, heard it immediately, and moved our cabin!  That we certainly didn't know about in advance.  So now, we stay away from being under/over the unnamed areas on a deck plan.

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

HAL is notoriously slow to change info provided.

19 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

If you'll look at this web site below, which I've relied on for months and found to be spot on, you'll see the name has been changed.  If I see the Entertainment Director again here on the Eurodam, or another officer, I'll ask about the specifics as to when the name change is effective.  Again, the importance is for future cruise bookings for anyone wanting to try to be away from the music venues--misleading new name for sure.  Also, this was mentioned several months ago in passing on cruise critic.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Eurodam&deck=2

The Eurodam's deck plan on cruisedeckplans may not be so much the case of being changed back to the Queens Lounge rather than being an old plan before it was renamed BB King Blues Club.

You can see on the cruisedeckplan version that the main theater is still called "Mainstage" rather than "World Stage.  The cruisedeckplan version also shows the Explorer's Bar and the Kings Room in front of and behind Lincoln Center Stage...both no longer exist.

That said, I definitely use cruisedeckplan for checking out room locations.  They have a lot more photos and videos available than HALfacts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Well in this case it seems that cruisedeckplans is even slower.

The BBK area was originally called the Queens Lounge and then renamed to BBK.

CDP also shows Eurodam having Queen's Lounge while HAL shows it as BBK

Whereas Oosterdam which had Queen's Lounge, renamed to BBK and now has Rolling Stone Lounge, is shown on CDP as having Queen's Lounge, but hal shows it as Rolling Stone Lounge.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Not in this case. HAL's currently published deck plans are accurate, and should take precedence over any third party site out there. Unfortunately, you are referring to outdated information.

• Like 1