So, have YOU brought alcohol on board NCL?

Stunt

Tried to bring alcohol on board?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Tried to bring alcohol on board?

• No, I play by the rules
    • Yes, but it was confiscated
    • Yes, and I enjoyed it all week long

Since there seems to be so much controversy over this subject (the WellWishers.com thread grows by the minute), I thought I would throw out the question:

Have you tried to bring alcohol on an NCL boat recently?

If you choose to respond please include whether or not you were successful and what happened if not. Also, throw in a rough date of embarkation too so folks can get a feel for how things may be changing. Finally, we DON'T need to hear specifics about strategy, or bragging about quantities, that will only ruin it for folks who do choose to brave the scanners.

Hopefully we will have a makeshift poll of cruisecritic members and folks can be more informed about the odds of success.

NCL is such a pain! Did bring alcohol onboard the Star (01/05), the Spirit (04/05), and the Dawn (12/05). I was successful all 3 times and won't share my strategy here (though could care less if NCL finds it out, will not cruise them again anytime soon). NCL is definately looking for bottles and if they find them, the take your luggage and give you a letter saying you need to go claim your bag and turn the alcohol in. This happens a lot. In December there was a group on the Dawn who were really mad NCL took the wine they had brought on for communion at some type of religious service. Even after the group tried to explain this to to the staff, they wouldn't budge and held the bottle until the end of the cruise. RCI and Carnival seem to be taking NCL's lead at taking away alcohol. Princess, HAL, and Celebrity are fine as long as you don't try to bring a whole bar onboard.

:) We were on the Sun this past December.We had one bottle of wine.

We had the note on our door,when we

returned from the Muster Drill,to come

to the Tech Room & open our luggage for Security.They gave us a choice of paying $15.00 corkage fee,or claming it on debarkation morning.We paid

the $15.00.:p

Vee

NORWAY 2000 - no smuggling

NORWAY 2001 - suggled like nobody's business (2 bottles champagne, 3 bottles of vodka - no disguise)

NORWAY 2002 - no need, had Owners Suite and free booze

SKY 2003 - smuggled

SPIRIT 2006 - smuggled.

Never caught.

~Intrepid

NCL is such a pain! Did bring alcohol onboard the Star (01/05), the Spirit (04/05), and the Dawn (12/05). I was successful all 3 times and won't share my strategy here (though could care less if NCL finds it out, will not cruise them again anytime soon). NCL is definately looking for bottles and if they find them, the take your luggage and give you a letter saying you need to go claim your bag and turn the alcohol in. This happens a lot. In December there was a group on the Dawn who were really mad NCL took the wine they had brought on for communion at some type of religious service. Even after the group tried to explain this to to the staff, they wouldn't budge and held the bottle until the end of the cruise. RCI and Carnival seem to be taking NCL's lead at taking away alcohol. Princess, HAL, and Celebrity are fine as long as you don't try to bring a whole bar onboard.
First of all,there is more to the story than meets the eye. If you are up front with the wine and are willing to pay the corkage fee it would not be convescated; 2nd, we have had our booze taken in San Juan on Celebrity; several of us did. There is a duty free shop right at the pier; you buy the booze, if it isn't hidden they have a nice man outside the ship to keep it for you until the last night. yes, NCL is the worst. Now, have I brought liquor on, yes, when we sailed from England last Sept we had a bottle of scotch which we expected to be found. We were bringing it back to America. As it turned out we didn't get questioned. we also have brought wine on, but expected to pay the corkage. Again,we have been lucky. Now, we just get a bar set up. It isn't worth the hassle, plus I really feel better if I abide by the company policies. NMNita

Maybe a 4th option should be added to the poll? My situation doesn't fit into the 3 choices given.

May/05 I brought a bottle of wine and paid the $15 corkage fee when boarding.

I think that would be "playing by the rules".

I've sprinkled airliner sized bottles in my luggage and never had an issue.

We brought 2 bottles on the Dawn in February 2005, don't think there was an option of a corkage fee at that point. After reading so much on this board, I think we will bring a couple of 1.5 liters, which is really too bad since I don't enjoy anything other than Kendall Jackson Chardonnay and it doesn't come in that size. But DH can consume large amounts when on vacation(and isn't as discerning about what it is), so it probably will be most cost effective. I will pay the corkage fee as I just can't stand hassles and embarassing situations.

We brought 2 bottles on the Dawn in February 2005, don't think there was an option of a corkage fee at that point. After reading so much on this board, I think we will bring a couple of 1.5 liters, which is really too bad since I don't enjoy anything other than Kendall Jackson Chardonnay and it doesn't come in that size. But DH can consume large amounts when on vacation(and isn't as discerning about what it is), so it probably will be most cost effective. I will pay the corkage fee as I just can't stand hassles and embarassing situations.

Why would you go thru the troble of carrying Kendall Jackson onboard and paying the corkage. You can buy what you need onboard for just about the same cost when you add in the corkage. Ask for bin 108:)

108 Kendall-Jackson "Vintner's Reserve" $29

In January we brought a special bottle of wine aboard in our carry-on in plain sight of the scanners and NCL staff. It was our anniversary and we wanted this very special bottle..............no one said anything, but we were prepared to pay up if questioned. Quess we were lucky. I don't consider myself a smuggler.........I had the bottle in plain sight.:D

In January we brought a special bottle of wine aboard in our carry-on in plain sight of the scanners and NCL staff. It was our anniversary and we wanted this very special bottle..............no one said anything, but we were prepared to pay up if questioned. Quess we were lucky. I don't consider myself a smuggler.........I had the bottle in plain sight.:D

that is exactly the right way to do it. Carry it on, if you have to pay corkage, well that is the way it goes. those who try to smuggle it are the ones that are getting in trouble. NMnita

I'm a Kendall JAckson girl myself. "Smuggle"? don't like the word I guess. "Carried on" is more like it. Dawn 1-22-06 2 adults, 11 days, quite a bit. Didn't drink everynight, but most. Brought on a few bottles of wine and liquor, and a few pre-made things like margaritas and bahama mamas. This was reflected in our S&S card - 4 of us, pictures, (even had Christmas cards made) purchases and all was around $800. I thought that was pretty good.

Anni

I didn't mention in the ports - no problems there either. Had to bring back a few goodies - rum cream (Jamaica) tequila and kahlua (Cozumel), and some budweiser from Honduras (it's an import there you know - a little pricey)

Made my UPS guy really happy when I got back!

Anni

PS the bud was for husband

shoreguy, thanks for letting me know. Actually what I had posted was that I wasn't going to bring KJ, but instead a couple of 1.5 liters for DH. I was prepared to dring Pepsi:( as opposed to pay the $15 for a small bottle. Nice to know I can indulge, and yes I will just buy on board. I know others feel differently but, I am on vacation, I can't sweat the small stuff :) ! If I can swing $684 on a dolphin swim to please my children, I can do the same for my indulgences-- that's a LOT of KJ!!!!

Hi Shoreguy,

Where can I find the list of all they offer? I requested one to be e-mailed to me, but they stated they could not do that. I ordered Amaretto $55 & Bacardi Gold $40 as a bar setup. I really wanted mudslide or white russian, but they said they did not have that.

I might want to do some wine...

Thanks,

Archived