newbie questions

lolalow

Hi all, typically we sail the newer carnival ships have done some RCCL and Disney.   We love Carnival for the food options.   Have always been intrigued by MSC but I always see negative review of the foods.  My son with autism is pretty picky and doesn't like complicate foods.  Is there just plain peperoni pizza?  Is the sauce thin or lumpy?  He doesn't like chunky tomatoes.  For the pasta do they have some with just alfredo or butter sauce?  I hear the burgers and hot dogs are not good, what about chicken tenders or mac and cheese?  Is there room service, is it free?  The main comp places to eat are just buffet or main dining rooms, correct?  There are no quick grill places on pool deck?  Any place that sells crepes?  

Any other big differences I should know about?

When trying to book online how do you do multiple rooms?  We will need 3 and I can't find the option.  We are looking for ships out of Port Canaveral Oct 2023 which would be Seaside.  Not sure if Meragvilia will be there still then, it does not list it as being so at that point.

We usually do trivia, shows, comedians - all these offered.

Which side of ship for good view of lighthouse port or starboard or front or aft?

What is cancellation policy?

What is current vax or testing requirements - I don't need all the details I will look more into it just wondering if they have lifted vax requirements as daughter to vaxxed.

Vaccine info https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises

I believe the starboard side faces the Island at Ocean Cay. I have 30 cruises under my belt and 3 of them on MSC. The food was good. It seems that people are getting way to critical nowadays. None of the cruise lines are like they used to be. But I still have the best time, usually make some new friends, and have some new experiences. To get 3 rooms together you will probably need a travel agent who can get into the cruise lines computers. I have heard that MSC booking service is troublesome. If I remember correctly they make the pizza right at the station you get the slices. Have them make it your way. Hope you have a fabulous time. Jim

• Like 2

I sailed the Seashore in December. Here is a slice of marinara pizza. I don’t remember any chunks of tomato - I’m not a fan and ate this everyday.  They made this pizza at my request everyday (if it wasn’t out already). It has a thinner, crispier crust; theirs is Neapolitan style.  If you don’t see what you want, just ask. They would even bring it to me at my table in the buffet. (I always ate plain cheese pizza before this. Now I am a convert. Not spicy, either).

C16BE5C1-9A87-4FCE-A792-F5C9A85029DD.thumb.jpeg.f596cfc7f479946179a4c2558518a5ee.jpeg

The hotdog and burger buns would dry out quickly under the warmers. Probably switching out for a fresh bun would help.  Fries and sweet potato fries were good.

59 minutes ago, lolalow said:

Is there just plain peperoni pizza?

Yes, but you must be SURE that what "we" call pepperoni is what you get. You might get actual bell peppers, not meat circles. You can get what "we" call pepperoni, too. 

1 hour ago, lolalow said:

Is the sauce thin or lumpy? He doesn't like chunky tomatoes.

I don't recall but since it is freshly made, adjustments can be ordered. 

For the pasta do they have some with just alfredo or butter sauce?

Either can be ordered. My kids have had both on 3 different MSC ships. 

I hear the burgers and hot dogs are not good, what about chicken tenders or mac and cheese?

I can't really answer. 

Is there room service, is it free?

Yes, there is room service but experience choice will make a difference as to added cost (if any). 

Any place that sells crepes?

Yes. 

Deciding which "experience" you will have makes a big difference. It's not just about stateroom type (interior, ocean view, balcony, etc.). Bella is basic, Yacht Club is highest. 

Which side of ship for good view of lighthouse port or starboard or front or aft?

Usually, starboard side forward is best but the ship can dock facing either direction.

Don't......j/k 😉

FINAL PAYMENT IS DUE AS FOLLOWS:
• 75 days prior to your cruise on cruises 4 nights or less (excluding World Cruise)
• 90 days prior to your cruise on cruises 5-14 nights (excluding World Cruise)
• 110 days prior to your cruise on cruises 15 nights or more (excluding World Cruise)
• 120 days prior to your cruise on World Cruises & World Cruise Segments
• All cancellations and/or requests for refund must be submitted in writing.

Cancellation Policy - EXCLUDING MSC YACHT CLUB & WORLD CRUISE:

CRUISES 4 NIGHTS OR LESS:
• Cancel 74-51 days prior to departure: Deposit Non-Refundable
• Cancel 50-31 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare
• Cancel 30-16 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare
• Cancel 15-00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

CRUISES FROM 5-14 NIGHTS:
• Cancel 89-61 days prior to departure: Deposit Non-Refundable
• Cancel 60-46 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare
• Cancel 45-16 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare

CRUISES 15 NIGHT OR MORE:
• Cancel 109-61 days prior to departure: Deposit Non-Refundable

Cancellation Policy - FOR MSC YACHT CLUB & WORLD CRUISE:

MSC YACHT CLUB CRUISES 4 NIGHTS OR LESS
• Cancel 51 days or more prior to departure: Deposit Non-Refundable
• Cancel 50-31 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare
• Cancel 30-16 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare

MSC YACHT CLUB CRUISES 5 NIGHTS OR MORE
• Cancel 61 days or more prior to departure: Deposit Non-Refundable

MSC WORLD CRUISE:
• Cancel up to 60 days prior to departure: Deposit Non-Refundable
• Cancel 59-10 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare
• Cancel 09-00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

• Like 1

MSC is different. But for us the differences from RCCL, NCL, Carnival etc are a positive thing.  

Food is so subjective. When we first started cruising almost 40 yrs ago the dining room experience was so good.

Over the years we have noticed a decline in food quality on every mass market cruise line we’ve been on.
Now if we want better quality like we used to get in the dining room, we have to go to one of their restaurants and pay extra for it. 
We can usually find something that we like in the MDR on MSC and the servers are very accommodating. 

Having said that…we have friends with 3 sons on the spectrum so knowing how their youngest is with change I would advise you guys to stick with what you know and what your son expects. 

If you’re happy on Carnival and more important if he’s happy why change it?

Thats just my honest opinion. 

• Like 3

In terms of plain food, MSC (at least the buffet, I can’t speak for the MDR) is pretty good. No problem with simple pasta, cheese pizza. Burgers are fine, hot dogs are chicken dogs (boo), fries are excellent. My only concern would be pepperoni pizza. Maybe they have it, but I usually see “salami” pizza where the salami tastes exactly like American pepperoni, but looks different. I know little things like that can bother some kids. Anyway, it’s a big buffet selection, should be good for picky kids. 

• Like 1

My son is also an extremely picky eater on the spectrum, and pepperoni pizza is his jam.  I can assure you that they have marvelous pepperoni pizza....he absolutely loved it!  He had no problems at all during the week finding food he liked to eat.  We have been on Disney, Royal and many trips on NCL but my son says that his favorite now is MSC!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LatinaInTexas said:

On the Seashore last week we were on the side that you could view the lighthouse. I don't know the technical terms but looking toward the front of the ship from our balcony we were on the right hand side.

That is starboard. Now you know. 🤓

Denise

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, LatinaInTexas said:

On the Seashore last week we were on the side that you could view the lighthouse. I don't know the technical terms but looking toward the front of the ship from our balcony we were on the right hand side.

Many moons ago a cruise director said an easy way to remember which side of the ship is port and which is starboard is that “port” has 4 letters like the word “left” so looking forward your left side is port therefore right side is starboard. 
Kind of like the trick of lefty loosy/righty tighty 😉

4 hours ago, styles27 said:

Many moons ago a cruise director said an easy way to remember which side of the ship is port and which is starboard is that “port” has 4 letters like the word “left” so looking forward your left side is port therefore right side is starboard. 
Kind of like the trick of lefty loosy/righty tighty 😉

I will remember that, thanks 👍

On 8/17/2022 at 12:04 PM, lolalow said:

Hi all, typically we sail the newer carnival ships have done some RCCL and Disney.   We love Carnival for the food options.   Have always been intrigued by MSC but I always see negative review of the foods.  My son with autism is pretty picky and doesn't like complicate foods.  Is there just plain peperoni pizza?  Is the sauce thin or lumpy?  He doesn't like chunky tomatoes.  For the pasta do they have some with just alfredo or butter sauce?  I hear the burgers and hot dogs are not good, what about chicken tenders or mac and cheese?  Is there room service, is it free?  The main comp places to eat are just buffet or main dining rooms, correct?  There are no quick grill places on pool deck?  Any place that sells crepes?  

When trying to book online how do you do multiple rooms?  We will need 3 and I can't find the option.  We are looking for ships out of Port Canaveral Oct 2023 which would be Seaside.  Not sure if Meragvilia will be there still then, it does not list it as being so at that point.

We usually do trivia, shows, comedians - all these offered.

What is current vax or testing requirements - I don't need all the details I will look more into it just wondering if they have lifted vax requirements as daughter to vaxxed.

Us a travel agent!!!!!!

MSC has terrible IT and customer service.

If you are planning on all 3 cabins together,good luck.

Even if you book it that way it will probably change.

They could even down grade your cabin and offer you no reduction in fare.

If you don't like it, they will tell you to cancel.

All of the above has happened to me.

Great product but .....   

Hi!

Even though I can be seen as a huge MSC cheerleader with some 7 cruises with them to date and plans for a 2023 one in the making; I can surely understand your base line limitations... TBHH; while MSC has surely a very nice mainstream product, they are sort of different from the other more American mainstream products. If your kids are happy with Carnival, please stick to it!... I have relatives on the autism spectrum as well. Their well being turns the most important task to whom cares of them, and among that, it is important that they're not exposed to so many changes on their life that they could not truly absorb. That said; MSC might to be a nice experience for the day you can go without the kids.

Don't worry so much is my message is seen as a little hard. It's not. It's base on first hand experience.

Either way: Wherever you go or not on MSC; have a nice day and nice sailings!... See you elsewhere on the CC forums!... Be welcome!...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Us a travel agent!!!!!!

MSC has terrible IT and customer service.

If you are planning on all 3 cabins together,good luck.

Even if you book it that way it will probably change.

They could even down grade your cabin and offer you no reduction in fare.

If you don't like it, they will tell you to cancel.

All of the above has happened to me.

Great product but .....   

😲

Just come off MSC Bellissima, I can honestly say it's the best pizza I've ever had in my life. I loved the ones made without sauce. Just the pizza base, thick mozzarella and a little bit of ham or pesto on. The food was so much better than some on here suggest. It is very traditional Italian but that's what I loved most about it.

Bellissima had crepes and gelato on deck 6 which was amazing, we ate from there a few times.

Sorry I can't help with any of the room enquiries.

13 hours ago, 77red96 said:

Just come off MSC Bellissima, I can honestly say it's the best pizza I've ever had in my life. I loved the ones made without sauce. Just the pizza base, thick mozzarella and a little bit of ham or pesto on. The food was so much better than some on here suggest. It is very traditional Italian but that's what I loved most about it.

Bellissima had crepes and gelato on deck 6 which was amazing, we ate from there a few times.

Sorry I can't help with any of the room enquiries.

Welcome to the MSC CC boards!

Even though I'm not a pizza guy, those with no sauce are the good ones, when available! Yeah, their food tends to the Italian/Mediterranean comfort food zone, even though they also have the usual cruise suspects, and they're becoming a bit less authentic with the times.

Thanks for the review. Regarding multiple cabins I always suggest to have a TA dealing with that or use the phone number. Their website is always a mess to deal with, TBHH.

Have a nice day!...