Tracy Arm Excursion with Baby

myeung88

Hello,

We will be travelling with an 8 month old baby in about a month and we would like to do the Tracy Arm Excursion. I’m wondering what the restroom situation is on the catamaran? The tour is 6 hours so we will need to do a couple diaper changes. I’m not expecting a diaper change area in the restroom but was wondering if it’s big enough for both my husband and myself to be in there at the same time so that he can hold baby up while I do the diaper change? Or is it a super small restroom and would be better to do a quick diaper change in a quiet corner of the boat?

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, myeung88 said:

Hello,

We will be travelling with an 8 month old baby in about a month and we would like to do the Tracy Arm Excursion. I’m wondering what the restroom situation is on the catamaran? The tour is 6 hours so we will need to do a couple diaper changes. I’m not expecting a diaper change area in the restroom but was wondering if it’s big enough for both my husband and myself to be in there at the same time so that he can hold baby up while I do the diaper change? Or is it a super small restroom and would be better to do a quick diaper change in a quiet corner of the boat?

Thanks!

We were on this excursion a number of years ago.  Allen Marine did the excursion in a modest catamaran.  The toilets are small Marine toilets with room for 1 person, and the ride is very rocky in them.  I wouldn't try to bring a baby in there.  While the excursion was great, the ride from the Arm to Juno was very long and after awhile, boring.  The seats in the cabin were all filled, with passengers coming and going to outside decks, so changing the baby in the cabin may not be the best idea.

From a Trip Advisor article about this excursion (Allen Marine is who HAL uses). Doesn’t sound like it would be enjoyable IF HAL would even allow an infant.

Age Restrictions We welcome guests of all ages onboard but like to give parents travelling with younger children additional information about the tour. Most infants and toddlers become very unhappy on this trip due to the long tour length and boat size. There is not much room to roam around inside, but there is walking space outside on the observation decks. This space is exposed to the elements and rather cold. Please note: there are no changing tables available, and there is no room for strollers onboard. While there is no charge for children two years old & younger, all guests must have a ticket due to coast guard regulations. Please call our office to make a reservation if travelling with an infant. 

Edited by sue1898
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sue1898 said:

From a Trip Advisor article about this excursion (Allen Marine is who HAL uses) 

Age Restrictions We welcome guests of all ages onboard but like to give parents travelling with younger children additional information about the tour. Most infants and toddlers become very unhappy on this trip due to the long tour length and boat size. There is not much room to roam around inside, but there is walking space outside on the observation decks. This space is exposed to the elements and rather cold. Please note: there are no changing tables available, and there is no room for strollers onboard. While there is no charge for children two years old & younger, all guests must have a ticket due to coast guard regulations. Please call our office to make a reservation if travelling with an infant. 

HAL may have their own restrictions,  those restrictions are listed in the tour description.  I looked over my excursions and the boat excursions all have minimums around 4 or 5 years old.  This excursion is not offered on my cruise 

Edited by Mary229

28 minutes ago, sue1898 said:

I agree that HAL may have more restrictions. I added above that from the description it doesn’t sound like it would be enjoyable for an infant or the parents.

There's a strong possibility if it's not enjoyable for the infant that will negatively impact nearly every other passenger on the catamaran.  I agree with Sue1898 that this clearly does not sound like an excursion suitable for taking infants (or toddlers) on.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info everyone! I called the cruise excursion line for more info but the lady wasn’t super helpful and couldn’t tell me any age restrictions. We won’t be booking any excursions until we board the cruise so that we get more info from the staff who are more familiar with the excursions. 

We did this excursion in June and had a few families on the catamaran with us. The youngest child was about 15 months old and he was miserable the entire time. He didn’t want to sit. There was nowhere to walk and the outside decks were crowded and cold. This little guy did not have a good time and there was a lot of crying that made it challenging for all onboard. 

The bathrooms are tiny and barely have enough room for one person. Definitely no changing station and nowhere onboard to be able to do a diaper change and keep it sanitary. 

14 minutes ago, myeung88 said:

Thanks for all the info everyone! I called the cruise excursion line for more info but the lady wasn’t super helpful and couldn’t tell me any age restrictions. We won’t be booking any excursions until we board the cruise so that we get more info from the staff who are more familiar with the excursions. 

If you go to your online account, manage my bookings, click shore excursions, then shore excursions again, look to the left frame and click on download personalized ebrochure.    All excursions are listed in that pdf with exclusions.  

OR just review the Tracy Arms excursions.   Each excursion will list exclusions 

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

If you go to your online account, manage my bookings, click shore excursions, then shore excursions again, look to the left frame and click on download personalized ebrochure.    All excursions are listed in that pdf with exclusions.  

OR just review the Tracy Arms excursions.   Each excursion will list exclusions 

Yea I looked at the personalized excursion pdf and it had child prices but no age restrictions listed. 

It just occurred to me that I should have just asked all you experienced cruisers for tips on excursions! I will make a new post to ask for any tips/tricks for excursions/city walks with a baby 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, myeung88 said:

It just occurred to me that I should have just asked all you experienced cruisers for tips on excursions! I will make a new post to ask for any tips/tricks for excursions/city walks with a baby 🙂

There are other sections of the forum.  There is an Alaska section and there is a traveling with children section.  You will probably get a lot of good advice there 

• Like 2