Boarding VL on Sunday - cutbacks?

Gonzowifey

Someone posted the link to the Lineup on another post (thanks, Jon81uk) and I took a look at it for next week. I'm trying to adjust my expectations so I'm not too disappointed. They sent us notices saying they were shortening a lot of the shore times starting with our sailing. What I also noticed is that they aren't showing morning yoga classes, vinyasa flow, etc. on the the Line Up. So, in addition to the short time cut backs, they are also cutting onboard activities? That doesn't make sense, does it? If we are spending more time onboard, shouldn't they try to offer more onboard activities?  Just comparing this week's schedule to next week, it looks pretty sparse. 

I saw that someone else has posted an inquiry about shore excursions in Toulon, Ajaccio and Cagliari. So far no one has responded. I got an email advertising excursions such as a trip to the beach in Cagliari, it was like $55 a person, but when I go on the app to book it, they don't offer it through the app. Is it possible they have cut back on the shore excursions offerings as well?  If so, this is rotten luck for us. Of all the weeks to have booked our sailing, we get the one where they start cutting back. 

The app is often not complete.  You will be able to book fitness classes on the app at the terminal (use VVMiami wifi or similar name).  It is something to do while waiting to board.  I don't know if this happens in Barcelona as well.  On both ships there is a big red desk after you board.  If you need help with reservations for classes, dinners, etc. they can help you there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gonzowifey said:

oh thank you! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm assuming it applies to both the onboard activities and off-board excursions. 

All available Shore Things are already available for booking. The ports you're visiting are very independent-focused ports and you won't find many tour companies that offer shore excursions.  Take yourself to the beach - it's very easy. Just do like any local would do and take a taxi or the bus. Honestly, ship-offered excursions are typically the worst way to see a port, in my opinion. You'll have a great time, just research what there is to do at each port and visit the port forums here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PiperHolliday said:

Take yourself to the beach - it's very easy. Just do like any local would do and take a taxi or the bus.

Yeah, my only concern with that is not getting back to the ship on time. I've never cruised to a place where I don't know my way around and now with the even shorter time ashore, I would rather do one of the cheaper ship excursions or stay close to port. 

As far as I know, most or all onboard activities can't be booked till you arrive at the terminal.  This is definitely true for things like fitness classes.  You CAN book them as soon as you can log onto the terminal's wifi.

One of the reasons VV gives for the smaller ports that they use is so that people can stay close to port and still have things to do.  People might be able to give suggestions if you are looking at a specific port or ports.  When going off on our own we (translate that "I" who am always the worrier) plan to be back at the port an hour before the required time.  So far, it has always worked.