Disembark at Port Miami

EffortlessVoyages

I was curious if any recent sailors could recall what the earliest they could disembark their ship with self assisted luggage when returning to Port Miami.  Trying to plan our return flight and was curious how early customs had their act together.  Also I am already aware of the guidance that Virgin provides to guests on when to book flights for.

We’ve decided not to risk it and booked a 1pm flight out of Miami. We had an option to fly at 10.30am but even though early disembarkation should be 7.30am I wanted to be able to relax and not keep thinking about what ifs

• Like 4

You are smart to not risk it.  Normal is 7:30 as the earliest disembarkation (at least that's what it was for our sailing),but you never know what will happen.  There can be a delay caused by US Customs, the ship can arrive late, etc.  On other lines, we've had weather delays due to fog.  Have a nice breakfast and enjoy your leisurely disembarkation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jon81uk said:

We had an option to fly at 10.30am but even though early disembarkation should be 7.30am I wanted to be able to relax and not keep thinking about what ifs

Yeah - smart decision.  MIA is an absolute disaster.  Even with Clear and pre-check and no checked luggage, it still took 30+ mins to get from the curb through security (for reference at any other airport, it's maybe 10 mins max depending how many people have Clear).  The normal security lines HAD to have been at least 90 mins.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EffortlessVoyages said:

I was curious if any recent sailors could recall what the earliest they could disembark their ship with self assisted luggage when returning to Port Miami.  Trying to plan our return flight and was curious how early customs had their act together.  Also I am already aware of the guidance that Virgin provides to guests on when to book flights for.

We sailed in July and surprisingly customs was only a walk through. They looked at open passports and at us and said ok. Never had to fill out a customs form or declare  anything.  

• 3 weeks later...

I was off the ship Friday by 7:45 ish (remember to book your disembark time in the app!). I was at MIA around 8:15, mostly because my Uber driver seemed to have trouble finding terminal V. I was through security in about ten minutes, but I have CLEAR. That would have been faster if it weren’t for a woman in front of me having a temper tantrum about having to take off her shoes or something. (It seems they ‘forgot’ to give her her precheck pass or something, maybe because of her charming personality.) 

With a 10:30 flight, that still meant spending more time at MIA than I wanted to. 

Obviously your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1