How to redeem my Barclay Card Fun Points for a cruise i'd like to book?

1cruisingal

Has anyone redeemed their Fun Points through Barclay Card to put towards a cruise? I have the cruise picked out and I have points that I'd like to redeem towards the balance but not sure how it works. Can anyone please help me to understand how it works? Thanks in advance!

I was looking at my Carnival Barclays card account the other day. Says 100,000 points will get you $1,500 off a cruise. I'm nowhere near that yet; however, there is a section on the site with instructions to redeem.

You book the cruise with your card and then go to the Barclay card website to redeem a credit.  Like mondello said, if you wait until 100,000 points it is a $1,500 credit, or 1.5%.  If you redeem under that, it is only 1% (i.e. 10,000 points=$100).  Since you have the points you obviously want to use them, but for future reference there are much better cards out there.  Citi offers a card that is 2% cash back for everything.  I did redeem the Barclay 100,000 points one time and then I realized that with my Citi card I would have earned $2,000 cash back to be used for anything instead of the $1,500.  I only use the Barclay card now to book excursions for the 10% credit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1cruisingal said:

Has anyone redeemed their Fun Points through Barclay Card to put towards a cruise? I have the cruise picked out and I have points that I'd like to redeem towards the balance but not sure how it works. Can anyone please help me to understand how it works? Thanks in advance!

I have redeemed FunPoints for Carnival cruises several times since 2005.  I can help answer your questions and hopefully help you get the most "bang" for your "buck(FP)".  But to make my answers more specifically helpful to your situation, first may I ask:

Are you planning on paying for the cruise using your Carnival MasterCard or another method? (If paying with the Carnival MC, you'll get the 2 points per dollar on that purchase and should pay in full before any redemption.)

Are you planning on using your Carnival MC for your Sail & Sign onboard spending account? (same situation as above)

If yes to both questions above, is either one of the balances (total cruise fare or S&S total at end of cruise) likely to be at least $1500? (Better redemption rate if so.)

Do you already have at least 100,000 FPs? Or less than that?

(You can still redeem the points for this cruise if you have less than 100,000, but it will change your redemption rate from 1.5% to 1%.)

13 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I've done it. I actually have a $1,500 cruise credit in my back pocket on my Carnival Card.

"Back pocket"?😕  I'm sorry (confused), I don't understand what you mean by that term in this context.

4 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

"Back pocket"?😕  I'm sorry (confused), I don't understand what you mean by that term in this context.

Prepositional phrase[edit]

in one's back pocket

1. (idiomatic) Ready if needed, in reserve, prepared, available for use whenever it might be advantageous. quotations ▼

8 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Prepositional phrase[edit]

in one's back pocket

1. (idiomatic) Ready if needed, in reserve, prepared, available for use whenever it might be advantageous. quotations ▼

Yes, thanks, I'm aware of the phrase.  I just didn't understand how you meant it here, with the way you worded your post.  So you mean that you have 100,000 FunPoints currently accrued on your MC, but have not "cashed them in" yet for a statement credit?

2 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Yes, thanks, I'm aware of the phrase.  I just didn't understand how you meant it here, with the way you worded your post.  So you mean that you have 100,000 FunPoints currently accrued on your MC, but have not "cashed them in" yet for a statement credit?

Yes.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

You book the cruise with your card and then go to the Barclay card website to redeem a credit.  Like mondello said, if you wait until 100,000 points it is a $1,500 credit, or 1.5%.  If you redeem under that, it is only 1% (i.e. 10,000 points=$100).  Since you have the points you obviously want to use them, but for future reference there are much better cards out there.  Citi offers a card that is 2% cash back for everything.  I did redeem the Barclay 100,000 points one time and then I realized that with my Citi card I would have earned $2,000 cash back to be used for anything instead of the $1,500.  I only use the Barclay card now to book excursions for the 10% credit.

I discovered exactly the same thing and now use my Citi Double Cash for EVERYTHING!

23 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

I discovered exactly the same thing and now use my Citi Double Cash for EVERYTHING!

That's what I use now as well. I do attach my Carnival card to my onboard account but I usually pay that off with gift cards. Then my NFL Extra Points card is for my season tickets. Other than that everything goes on double cash now.