GO TO BED

oldmovieguy

7 hours ago, Petrocelli said:

Thanks!  Like I said, I've only been on one cruise so I'm not familiar with nautical terminology.

FYI, my cabin was on the left-hand side of the boat.

There is no reason to even mention this.  I don’t know why this would bother anyone in the least.

9 hours ago, MarinersBaseballFan said:

In a different HAL topic, SGCruiser2013 recently posted the entertainment schedule for a typical day on the Koningsdam for 8/17/2022, after a day of Cruising Glacier Bay.

Link to Topic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2873339-live-from-koningsdam-august-13-rt-vancouver/

I cropped the image below to show only the evening events.

image.thumb.jpeg.4214a1b26fe7630cfed0f54da334edaf.jpeg

I would definitely stay up for a chocolate surprise...what is the chocolate surprise?  LOL

EDIT:  never mind, I googled it.  WOW

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/new-chocolate-surprise-is-the-ultimate-decadent-dessert-parade/ 

Edited by Anubi

13 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Okay, I'll admit that I'm a career U.S. Navy veteran of 24 years, but I cannot just let improper shipboard terminology go unchecked.

'Rooms' are in land based hotels, or at your own home. A 'cabin' or 'stateroom' is what we call them on a ship.

Sorry, couldn't help myself! 😉

You better alert hal they are using the wrong terminology on their website.  When you go to pick your ROOM it says room, not cabin.  This isn’t the navy, it’s a cruise.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

This isn’t the navy, it’s a cruise.

That is another interesting discussion.  Is it just HAL or do all cruise limes attract a lot of military retirees?  It accounts for a lot of differences in perception 

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

That is another interesting discussion.  Is it just HAL or do all cruise limes attract a lot of military retirees?  It accounts for a lot of differences in perception 

Interesting.  I’m not sure.  I’ve cruise on Princess quite a lot but not lately.

11 hours ago, Petrocelli said:

Thanks!  Like I said, I've only been on one cruise so I'm not familiar with nautical terminology.

FYI, my cabin was on the left-hand side of the boat.

No problem, but you need to get with the program...  Lol, j/k! 😂

That would be the 'port' side of the 'ship'.. 😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

No problem, but you need to get with the program...  Lol, j/k! 😂

That would be the 'port' side of the 'ship'.. 😉

For the directionally challenged, like me, there is the pointy end, the blunt end, the right side and the wrong side 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You better alert hal they are using the wrong terminology on their website.  When you go to pick your ROOM it says room, not cabin.  This isn’t the navy, it’s a cruise.

Doesn't matter if it's a cruise ship, or a Navy ship, it's still a ship. Next time you have a chance to strike up a conversation with a cruise ship's staff officer, ask them a few questions along these lines, and see what terminology they use.

18 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Doesn't matter if it's a cruise ship, or a Navy ship, it's still a ship. Next time you have a chance to strike up a conversation with a cruise ship's staff officer, ask them a few questions along these lines, and see what terminology they use.

IN THE NAVY---VILLAGE PEOPLE, Official Music Video (1979) HD - YouTube

• Haha 5

On 8/21/2022 at 12:49 AM, oldmovieguy said:

Many thanks to all you good folks who have replied to my query. I guess it’s a truism that us Brits tend to party on a bit in the late evening’s, 

Really? As I recall on my visit to London many years ago, I was surprised the pubs shut down at 11:00 pm (2:00 am here) and we had to hurry to get on the Tube before it shut down for the night. Do they stay open/run later now? 

so you booked on a new line HAL without checking out how the line functions>>>  how's that workin for ya LOL   HAL  is not part ship central for sure -  there's plenty to do but....  if you want to party till 2 am you picked the wrong line.   poppas

5 hours ago, esimon said:

so you booked on a new line HAL without checking out how the line functions>>>  how's that workin for ya LOL   HAL  is not part ship central for sure -  there's plenty to do but....  if you want to party till 2 am you picked the wrong line.   poppas

You can party till 2am if you want, in your own cabin. 😉

On 8/20/2022 at 6:08 AM, Hlitner said:

Geez, I will admit to watching Gunsmoke (it is on ME TV) and some other streaming sites   Festus was one of my hero's along with Onslow (Keeping up Appearances).

Hank

Onslow is the perfect foil for Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances. Love it!

31 minutes ago, oldbluff said:

Onslow is the perfect foil for Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances. Love it!

I have often said that if I come back in another life, I want to be Onslow!  What could be better?

Hank

• Haha 1