Passport expiring with less than 6 mths left

Just re-reading the RCI protocols and it states you need 6 months remaining on a UK (non-European) passport for Spain and yet the official European site and UK gov site states only 3 months remaining is required!  Anyone had experience of this?  I have at least 3 but not 6 and unlikely to get a renewal so close to my cruise in 6 weeks!!

I’m not in the USA, I am in the UK and departing from Southampton so I’m just wondering why Royal would say 6 months for Europe when both the European website and UK website say 3 months and wondering if anyone has been in this situation and the Southampton terminal has accepted their passport when checking in. I know if I show my passport in port the Spanish and Portuguese authorities will be fine. 

9 hours ago, Garden_Girl said:

Just re-reading the RCI protocols and it states you need 6 months remaining on a UK (non-European) passport for Spain and yet the official European site and UK gov site states only 3 months remaining is required!

That’s a blanket statement for all departures- as long as the passport will get you home, it will get you on the cruise. 

you also need to check if you renewed your passport early as they don't count anymore the extra time you used to get.  People have been prevented from travelling because of this, so it is ten years from the date of issue not the end date you need to worry about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

That’s a blanket statement for all departures- as long as the passport will get you home, it will get you on the cruise. 

Thanks. There’s no flights. Just Southampton in and out and I am from the UK.  I presume the Southampton cruise terminal’s job is to ensure you can legitimately get off at all ports?

6 minutes ago, Garden_Girl said:

I presume the Southampton cruise terminal’s job is to ensure you can legitimately get off at all ports?

Yes, but unlikely any of those will have a 6 month passport validity requirement. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

Yes you’re right, they are all under the Schengen Agreement. Thanks for your quick reply. I had visions of queuing at some faraway passport office for hours just because Royal have one blanket statement and won’t let me on the ship ☺️

I can't explain or justify why a cruise line or country has certain rules, this subject being one of them.  However, one thing I have learned in life, if you meet the most restrictive of all the entities, you "shouldn't" go wrong.  I'd make sure I had at least 6 months left on my Passport.