Thoughts on Christchurch tour

We have a morning ship’s tour -going to a sheep farm/city highlights which should return us to the ship about 1:15  or so. We just booked a punting tour on the Avon River starting at the Antigua Boat Sheds for 3:30 (have not had to pay yet). I understand we can take the #28 bus about 40 minutes from the ship to the boat tour. Punting is over about 4 pm at which time we can take the bus back to our ship. (Best case scenario would be for the first tour to let us off in town, catch lunch, and then go punting instead of going all the way back to the ship.)
My question really is if we can indeed catch a bus after punting (4 pm) and get back to the ship on time. We sail at 6. 
Is anyone familiar with the bus schedule? Do they go pretty regularly and on time?

Thank you!

You should be able to get dropped off in the city at the end of your tour but that may depend on the route the tour takes.

I'd suggest getting a taxi or Uber back to the port after punting. According to the local fare calculator it should only cost about $35. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You should be able to get dropped off in the city at the end of your tour but that may depend on the route the tour takes.

I'd suggest getting a taxi or Uber back to the port after punting. According to the local fare calculator it should only cost about $35. 

Thank you for your suggestion!

You should have no problem getting a bus back to Lyttleton.. they run frequently and usually on time; however as the others have pointed out.. it's not expensive in the scheme of things to get an uber/taxi and it would be about a 20-min ride in a cab/uber. Perhaps aim for the bus.. and if for any reason you're cutting it fine.. just ring a cab or uber. Antigua boatsheds are right in the heart of town. 

• Thanks 1

Excuse me for asking a related question, do the public buses take cash/credit card, or do you need to purchase a tap card like in Sydney?

For my January cruise I'm also planning to take the bus into Christchurch.