Anytime Dining Question

ScottC4746

On 8/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, Pinboy said:

Thanks---That's what I meant all along.

AFTER the Maitre'd or " whomever " helps you with your request----THAT is the time to hand over a few $$. If he/she says " Sorry , nothing I can do "-- end of story-- no tip.

At the end of the cruise, we always compliment in writing on the survey , plus, a hand written letter to the Hotel Manager on board regarding Staff people that provided the excellent we received.

perhaps the maitre'de cannot full fill your request because others have already been given the table you want . They cannot magically remove others from an already booked area

38 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I have just reread your post.

If I am reading you correctly you have reserved for 2 people. If you go back into the reservation you will see there is a feature called add guests. Click on that and you will be able to add your friends - you will need their cabin numbers. To do it you might need to cancel and start again but that would join you as a 4 for dining. It won't guarantee you a table for 4 but you will be getting closer. Also it might not work until your friends have cancelled their reservations. If you have the patience a call to X and they might do it all for you - they did do something similar for us.

Thanks for the heads up. I've always been able to just show up and get a table for 2, after reading the latest experiences from those currently sailing, I opted to book our dinners to avoid waiting. At this point I think I'll go straight to dining room on day of embarkation to ensure we are seated together, if we end up at a table of 6 or 8 that will be fine also, just as long as we sit with our friends. 

Patty

I am sure it has been answered somewhere on this thread or board, but...

We sail on the Solstice Friday from Seattle to Alaska round trip.  We are booked for the Select Dining, freedom dining, anytime dining, my choice dining, whatever they and you want to call it where we do not have a early or late seating.  Is it possible to make a standing reservation for 7:15 PM for two people?  On the app the "reserve now" is greyed out but has a number to call for reservations in blue, like it is a click and dial.

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

perhaps the maitre'de cannot full fill your request because others have already been given the table you want . They cannot magically remove others from an already booked area

Agree-- However , IMO they hold back tables in popular seating areas for these occasions. They do the same in Specialty restaurants.

Also, with Anytime Dining , I doubt all the seating assignments are pre-selected by the Maitre'd or Hostess.

We pre-book Anytime Dining times prior to the cruise , and were always seated in the same area , same Server(s)--- never had a problem.

Here's the " catch "---- Be on time and advise the Hostess if you will not be there ( Specialty restaurant , or even worse, not feeling well ). Show up late or don't notify them that you will not be there----, from then on you will be " guaranteed " a buzzer . ( You know what that means ).

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, Pinboy said:

I " assume " the Maitre'd receives a portion of the Gratuities pool.

Also, on every cruise we have been on, the Maitre'd visited our table from time to time to see if everything was to our satisfaction and to let him/her know if there was anything they could do for us.

Ok-- no problem--- another few $$ added on to the cost of the cruise.

That's how the " system " works. 

PT Barnum was right!!🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cw2go said:

Thanks for the heads up. I've always been able to just show up and get a table for 2, after reading the latest experiences from those currently sailing, I opted to book our dinners to avoid waiting. At this point I think I'll go straight to dining room on day of embarkation to ensure we are seated together, if we end up at a table of 6 or 8 that will be fine also, just as long as we sit with our friends. 

Patty

We have been pre-booking our select dining online for the past 5 cruises.  When it's just DH & I, we always get a table for 2 without asking.  When we travel with friends I always link our reservations and pre-reserve a table for 4 online at our preferred time, and we are always seated at a table for 4 without asking.  We have never been asked if we want or prefer a sharing table, but I have no doubt it can be accomodated if requested upon arrival at the MDR.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

PT Barnum was right!!🤣

"There's a sucker born every minute" ?

LOL--- Ya laugh at every post and then ya call a fellow CCer a " sucker " ??

A " sucker " , for tipin a few $$US to an employee that done ya a favor ?

Let's say we meet on a cruise , have a drink together,  I'll leave the tip.

( This ain't no laughin matter )

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 8:51 AM, ScottC4746 said:

I am sure it has been answered somewhere on this thread or board, but...

We sail on the Solstice Friday from Seattle to Alaska round trip.  We are booked for the Select Dining, freedom dining, anytime dining, my choice dining, whatever they and you want to call it where we do not have a early or late seating.  Is it possible to make a standing reservation for 7:15 PM for two people?  On the app the "reserve now" is greyed out but has a number to call for reservations in blue, like it is a click and dial.

It's probably too close to your sail date to do online.

On 8/28/2022 at 4:00 AM, the penguins said:

I entirely agree with tipping extra for an extra service and we do it on every cruise.

The suggestion in this case was to offer a "little something" in order to get what you want which , in my opinion, changes a tip to a bribe. 

Ummmm methinks a bribe is paying someone to break the law, commit a crime for their benefit, or something that causes real harm to others as a consequence…like say cutting the liver donation line. I’d hardly call slipping a $10 bill to a service worker to look out for your dinner table preferences…a bribe. I always tip my cabin steward $50 on day 1 as a down payment for outstanding service. If this cabin steward is especially helpful above and beyond others in my cabin class who did not tip on day 1, does this make my tip a “bribe?” After all, there’s no guarantee that the front tipped employee will deliver. Come on. Tipping is (typically) a means to better or personalized service. I tip again at the end of the cruise if service was great. Sorry y'all. This is life. Your choice to not tip more or more often does not mean my tipping in advance is a bribe. It’s hospitality service we are paying for when we tip. Not money laundering or human trafficking. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm with the group that thinks tipping ahead of time is a bribe.  Tip whatever you want afterwards.

I'm with the group that thinks tipping is tipping, no matter when you do it. A bribe to me indicates illegality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I'm with the group that thinks tipping is tipping, no matter when you do it. A bribe to me indicates illegality.

I'm not sure I understand how tipping after the fact is a bribe.  Let them do their job and if I'm happy, I'll reward those that make me happy.

10 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm not sure I understand how tipping after the fact is a bribe.

Where did I say that?

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

When hubby and I are sailing alone, without friends, we don’t have a problem doing SD without reservations. We enjoy sitting at a table with new people every night. It gives us a chance to interact and talk with new people from different walks of life. What a good learning experience. Plus, not knowing what our day will bring and having to possibly rush to get to our “reserved” time after possibly having a busy day. Plus, there are times where we may not be too interested in either getting dressed for dining room etiquette or possibly not too keen on what they’re serving that evening. You’re on vacation. Go with the flow I always say. 

• Like 1