Health & Safety Video Not Captioned

CruisinKikster

Just checked in for my POA cruise, and the health and safety video is not captioned. They have autocaptions in there, but that's not the same as having actual captions with punctuation and capitalization (and correct words). Kinda unpleasantly surprised to see this from a large company, especially in 2022. 

24 minutes ago, CruisinKikster said:

Just checked in for my POA cruise, and the health and safety video is not captioned. They have autocaptions in there, but that's not the same as having actual captions with punctuation and capitalization (and correct words). Kinda unpleasantly surprised to see this from a large company, especially in 2022. 

I'm sorry...do you mean the mandatory "muster" video. If so, I don't know the answer. I thought you meant the Health and Safety video NCL has.

37 minutes ago, CruisinKikster said:

Found  pre boarding muster drill video on youtube and it is truly closed captioned (cc).

Just tap video and you will see "cc". 

2 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

I just went to youtube and found NCL's Health and Safety video. Clicked on it. There is a "cc" icon on screen. Tapped it and closed caption came on.

Autocaptions came on. That is not the same as actual captions. 

Autocaptions don't have punctuation or capitalization so all sentences run into each other. They also "mishear" words a lot. They aren't access. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

Found  pre boarding muster drill video on youtube and it is truly closed captioned (cc).

Just tap video and you will see "cc". 

That's autocaptioned. Not real captions. See my response above about the problems with that. 

5 hours ago, CruisinKikster said:

Did you contact and register with NCL's Access Desk when you made your reservation?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 11:54 PM, SeaShark said:

Did you contact and register with NCL's Access Desk when you made your reservation?

We have access services for the cruise, but the video should be fully captioned if it is required viewing before boarding. It's not. 

On 9/5/2022 at 1:07 PM, CruisinKikster said:

We have access services for the cruise, but the video should be fully captioned if it is required viewing before boarding. It's not. 

The question was did you register with the access desk, not if you had access services...these are not the same.

• Like 1

While the POA is the only NCL ship required to fully comply with the ADA, this is an "educational or instructional video", which is not required to have closed captioning, unless it is a government agency or some private organizations.  This is a generic video for all NCL ships, and as I've said, none, other than POA are required to fully comply with the ADA per SCOTUS' "Spector v NCL" ruling.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While the POA is the only NCL ship required to fully comply with the ADA, this is an "educational or instructional video", which is not required to have closed captioning, unless it is a government agency or some private organizations.  This is a generic video for all NCL ships, and as I've said, none, other than POA are required to fully comply with the ADA per SCOTUS' "Spector v NCL" ruling.

It was required viewing to check in. That's not really a mere "educational or instructional" video. Anything that is required should be accessible -- either via captions or a transcript.  

1 hour ago, CruisinKikster said:

How does one get services without registering for them? Or am I missing something?

When you registered, did you indicate that you required fully captioned videos and they were not provided, or did you not indicate that fully captioned videos were required?

40 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

When you registered, did you indicate that you required fully captioned videos and they were not provided, or did you not indicate that fully captioned videos were required?

Okay I see where you are coming from. That wasn't an option on the form. So, I guess no we didn't. But I'm not sure they would have captioned that video if we had. I will reach out to the access desk now and let them know though, because perhaps they are unaware. 

One thing that's disappointing to see is a lack of Universal Design. UD is all about designing things to be as accessible as possible to a wide array of users. So while the main people who benefit from captions may be deaf or hard of hearing, there are many many other people who also benefit from them. (Also true for ramps and automatic doors.) NCL could show that they care and are being inclusive by offering universally designed materials. (In fact, that they explicitly reference the WCAG principles on their website suggests that is what they aim for, but in this case, it fell very flat.)

• Like 1