eclipse still in port 10;25pm on 28th ???????

c-legs

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

They don't need Vancouver, they could also do Victoria or some other token stop. The very best would be to indeed get congress to authorize a permanent PVSA waiver. Cruise lines won't employ all U.S. crew and that ain't going to change but this way most port revenues would stay in the U.S. so that's a win.

Keep in mind the Eclipse is going round trip Vancouver.  So I assume there is a market for that specific itinerary.   And Seattle and SF roundtrips use Victoria anyway.

I'm sorry for the good folks on Eclipse but they got off relatively lightly.  Take pity on the poor folks left behind in Vancouver.  There has been a strike at the BC Liquor distribution centres for several days so the stores are not being re-supplied.  The stock of beer in my local store is getting awfully low.  Methinks I'd rather be on Eclipse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 8/30/2022 at 9:00 AM, deliver42 said:

With all the B.S. coming from Canada, this tug boat strike being the latest to inconvenience passengers and force changes on itinerary, why don't the cruise lines say goodbye to Canada? I know Congress would have to eliminate the passenger act  I believe  Representative Murkowski has or will be introducing a bill to permanently eliminate it.

All cruises sailing from the US must stop in Canada or another foreign port due to the Passenger Vessel Services act (PVSA).  Under this act, foreign-flagged ships must visit at least one foreign country during the cruise.  A cruise line would face significant penalties for not complying.  PVSA came into force in 1886. 

Much has changed in the 135 years since, and while it now arguably prevents growth rather than supports it, the PVSA remains U.S. law.

There have been many calls for this act to be amended or removed. For cruisers, this became particularly apparent in 2021, when Canada effectively canceled the Alaska cruise season by refusing to allow even technical port stops for cruise ships to comply with PVSA.  They were able to remove it last summer to salvage part of the Alaska season, but it was a one-time removal only.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:54 PM, dlh015 said:

Sorry to be off-topic but I'm curious as to what the mutiny was about? Not looking for long explanation but can't find info on it...a link will suffice if you have one.

Thanks!

I found this link which may explain - But hardly a mutiny by the sound of it!!

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=63449&stay=1&posfrom=1

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GeroWA said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=63449&stay=1&posfrom=1

I read it, and I don't think that's it.  I think it came from 2018. Infinity went Antarctica with an azipod or something, and so cancelled Puerto Madryn, got to Ushuaia at 4:30 in the afternoon (everything closed), less time in Antarctica and they had to skip Falklands due to weather.  Apparently there were meetings on board about their disappointment, and a lawyer on board offer to start a lawsuit on their behalf.  (I think she was from Argentina and the suit went nowhere when she learned she'd have to sue in Miami).

Here's one review:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=608309

On 8/30/2022 at 4:04 PM, abbydancer said:

Keep in mind the Eclipse is going round trip Vancouver.  So I assume there is a market for that specific itinerary.   And Seattle and SF roundtrips use Victoria anyway.

The itinerary round trip from Vancouver is much more scenic and generally much smoother as it takes the inside route between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Seattle itineraries go on the west side of Vancouver Island, in open seas. We’ve done the itinerary from Seattle twice, and 3 times from Vancouver and IMHO there is really no comparison. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GeroWA said:

This is indeed the right cruise but the report only covered the final part where passengers were removed from the ship not the original altrication which lead to their removal. The problem arose on when the Captain first announced that we would not be visiting the Falklands. For most passengers the Falklands was a side show but for a select group it was the main reason for the trip - the group consisted of people visiting relatives, some Argentinians who, for the first time had been granted to visit the graves of relatives killed in the Falklands War and some others. The group assembled at Guest Relations and were demanding that the ship turned back and fulfilled it's original itinerary. The atmosphere became increasingly heated as the Officers tried to explain how the weather conditions made their requests impossible. The passengers then demanded to see the Captain and the officers explained that due to the weather conditions the Captain was very busy on the Bridge. At this point a number of the group demanded that the Captain be brought from the Bridge immediately as they wanted to " hang him from the lights". This threat made an extremely volatile situation much more serious and, from the ships point of view, turned it into a "mutiny". Security Officers arrived within seconds, the ring leaders were removed, some to the brig and some to their cabins. The ringleaders were put off in Ushusia. We witnessed the whole event from close by the the coffee shop. 

Had there not been the threat to the captain I believe the Officers involved would have eventually calmed and resolved the situation. Later in the evening we had coffee with the Hotel Director who we had been talking to on 2 previous evenings and he, once he knew we had watched the whole event, told us that the ringleaders would be banned for life from all ships in the Royal group.

• Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, the penguins said:

This is indeed the right cruise but the report only covered the final part where passengers were removed from the ship not the original altrication which lead to their removal. The problem arose on when the Captain first announced that we would not be visiting the Falklands. For most passengers the Falklands was a side show but for a select group it was the main reason for the trip - the group consisted of people visiting relatives, some Argentinians who, for the first time had been granted to visit the graves of relatives killed in the Falklands War and some others. The group assembled at Guest Relations and were demanding that the ship turned back and fulfilled it's original itinerary. The atmosphere became increasingly heated as the Officers tried to explain how the weather conditions made their requests impossible. The passengers then demanded to see the Captain and the officers explained that due to the weather conditions the Captain was very busy on the Bridge. At this point a number of the group demanded that the Captain be brought from the Bridge immediately as they wanted to " hang him from the lights". This threat made an extremely volatile situation much more serious and, from the ships point of view, turned it into a "mutiny". Security Officers arrived within seconds, the ring leaders were removed, some to the brig and some to their cabins. The ringleaders were put off in Ushusia. We witnessed the whole event from close by the the coffee shop. 

Had there not been the threat to the captain I believe the Officers involved would have eventually calmed and resolved the situation. Later in the evening we had coffee with the Hotel Director who we had been talking to on 2 previous evenings and he, once he knew we had watched the whole event, told us that the ringleaders would be banned for life from all ships in the Royal group.

Thanks for the details! I assume you missed my original post asking you about this...again, sounds like it was quite a fracas!

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

Wow, just wow!

Perhaps just another good reason for the Alaskan/Pacific cruises to skip Canada.  If people do not care to work we should just sail to where they will work and accomdate us.  Time to skip the striking countries and the nonsense that goes along with it.  Time to sail to countries that are open for international  tourists.

If Canada is not open for business just skip them.  Why do anything else?

I am kind of getting tired of all of the excuses of people not working or wanting to work.  I for one have been working and never missed a beat.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2022 at 12:06 AM, NMTraveller said:

Perhaps just another good reason for the Alaskan/Pacific cruises to skip Canada.  If people do not care to work we should just sail to where they will work and accomdate us.  Time to skip the striking countries and the nonsense that goes along with it.  Time to sail to countries that are open for international  tourists.

If Canada is not open for business just skip them.  Why do anything else?

I am kind of getting tired of all of the excuses of people not working or wanting to work.  I for one have been working and never missed a beat.

I am by no means a union supporter but I was onboard the Eclipse. Funny to read the uninformed comments from some of the posters on this thread. FYI, this didn't happen because people don't want to work. Canada's unemployment rate is 4.9% and employers are getting into bidding wars to get the right people. This was people standing up for their rights after 3 years without a contract. From the announcements, the port authority and every level of gov't was engaged to try and resolve this. I'm willing to bet that Seaspan wasn't the company that delivered the fuel barge on Sept. 4th.

Were passengers inconvenienced? Yes, we were.

Did we have a good time regardless? Yes, the overwhelming majority of us did. There was a relative handful that just had a need to *****.

Did Celebrity do right by us? Yes, they did and not only in the amount of the compensation. Even though I'm quite certain that one level of gov't or another will ultimately cover the tab.

Perhaps you and the other uninformed posters should worry about fixing the mess your respective countries are in before you go and rant about how other countries should work. Last time I checked, we are a separate and free country.

I AM CANADIAN!!!! AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!

Edited by cdn_tbird
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

I am by no means a union supporter but I was onboard the Eclipse. Funny to read the uninformed comments from some of the posters on this thread. FYI, this didn't happen because people don't want to work. Canada's unemployment rate is 4.9% and employers are getting into bidding wars to get the right people. This was people standing up for their rights after 3 years without a contract. From the announcements, the port authority and every level of gov't was engaged to try and resolve this. I'm willing to bet that Seaspan wasn't the company that delivered the fuel barge on Sept. 4th.

Were passengers inconvenienced? Yes, we were.

Did we have a good time regardless? Yes, the overwhelming majority of us did. There was a relative handful that just had a need to *****.

Did Celebrity do right by us? Yes, they did and not only in the amount of the compensation. Even though I'm quite certain that one level of gov't or another will ultimately cover the tab.

Perhaps you and the other uninformed posters should worry about fixing the mess your respective countries are in before you go and rant about how other countries should work. Last time I checked, we are a separate and free country.

I AM CANADIAN!!!! AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!

Still a mess and a good reason to skip Canada.  You can add to the list Ensenda due to the cartel violence and skipped ports there if you want.

I would skip the US ports if they pulled a stunt like this also.

As for rights,  I did not issue the rights to anyone to make a mess of my vacation.

Vacations are for fun, not stress and nonsense.

Compensation for a messed up port call?  I would much rather sail to a destination where the sailing is smooth.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Still a mess and a good reason to skip Canada. 

You may want to stop listening to the negative echo chamber full of malcontents for your news. Remember the old adage about news "if it bleeds, it leads". Things are nowhere near as bad as the uninformed posters on this thread are making it out to be.

Your loss. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cdn_tbird said:

You may want to stop listening to the negative echo chamber full of malcontents for your news. Remember the old adage about news "if it bleeds, it leads". Things are nowhere near as bad as the uninformed posters on this thread are making it out to be.

Your loss. 

You don't consider a cruise leaving port the next day late an issue? 🙂 🙂  Some of us have flights to catch and places to be.  We are not all retired.

I will aim for ports that do not have issues.  No loss here.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1