Elon Musk's SpaceX’s Starlink in an Industry-first to Provide High-speed Internet Onboard Full Cruise Fleet

mjfship

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

I can’t believe anyone would think the internet price would go down when the new product is supposidly much faster and better than the current one. The new satellites needed and getting them in orbit is probably mind blowing. The hardware and the installation on twenty four ships is probably massive. who do you think is going to pay for that, the cruise line? Guess again. If the cost of maintaining the equipment might be lower, the key word is might. The skies the limit. If they mark up domestic beer by about 18 times their cost, why would they not mark up the internet. Before the pandemic they were operating at about 108%, and that’s with crappy internet. The new internet should be a positive in getting customers back and drawing new ones.

Here’s a quick story about a company that truly wants to give their customers a great product at a fair price. We live in an affluent retirement community in the Phoenix area, of about 10,000 homes. There is an internet company that at their own cost, is running fiber optic cable throughout the whole community. I had internet and phone through the phone company. The internet was 50mb download and 5 mb upload. the modem/router had to be purchased or rented for $15 per month, I bought it for about $100. I’ve had the new provider for over a week now. 300mb download and 290mb upload, verified by several speed check web sites. The modem/router is included in the price. The price is almost $7 per month. This s the same price the four other communities that this company has done before ours. Price is guaranteed for a year.

The low altitude sats are far less costly to build , maintain and replace.

Better Faster Cheaper

that what starlink is selling. 

X and RCL are selling vacation experiences that with food and energy prices have already challenged what can be charged. I think the daily price right now for internet not on sale is just under 30. People expect great at that price, not slow and spotty.

i think you have overestimated the costs to install. Starlink charges 500 for the equipment and 110 a month for service at retail level. Thats 3-4 bucks a day retail. I bet rcl and x pay less.

the antenna array on the freedom of the seas was I think 28 antenna, albeit those are more costly than retail but cover far more. The 25 gross margin per day per person on a ship averaging 3000 subs yields 62500 gross margin per day. 1.8 mil a month. 72 ships is what, 100 million a month in profit?

not exact but pretty good.

we will know soon. But higher prices bring on diminishing returns.

I was up in  far North Scottdale, where are you? we have large lots

Edited by HMR74

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

I can’t believe anyone would think the internet price would go down when the new product is supposidly much faster and better than the current one. The new satellites needed and getting them in orbit is probably mind blowing. The hardware and the installation on twenty four ships is probably massive. who do you think is going to pay for that, the cruise line? Guess again. If the cost of maintaining the equipment might be lower, the key word is might. The skies the limit. If they mark up domestic beer by about 18 times their cost, why would they not mark up the internet. Before the pandemic they were operating at about 108%, and that’s with crappy internet. The new internet should be a positive in getting customers back and drawing new ones.

Here’s a quick story about a company that truly wants to give their customers a great product at a fair price. We live in an affluent retirement community in the Phoenix area, of about 10,000 homes. There is an internet company that at their own cost, is running fiber optic cable throughout the whole community. I had internet and phone through the phone company. The internet was 50mb download and 5 mb upload. the modem/router had to be purchased or rented for $15 per month, I bought it for about $100. I’ve had the new provider for over a week now. 300mb download and 290mb upload, verified by several speed check web sites. The modem/router is included in the price. The price is almost $7 per month. This s the same price the four other communities that this company has done before ours. Price is guaranteed for a year.

BTW-big lots means a lot of wiring with fewer homes. that can work great with patio homes/zero lot line homes.

and in Lisa Perlos e mail 2 weeks ago she stated that if you have premium internet you will get the starlink (on Beyond) and if you upgrade from the basic you wil get the starlink. Thats a decent hint they are not raising prices at least not initially, but that 30 bucks a day is important.  Unlike the drink package, you can buy one internet package per cabin.

If you get an inside cabin, and the high speed internet you may end up spending more for internet than the cabin.

3 hours ago, HMR74 said:

The low altitude sats are far less costly to build , maintain and replace.

Better Faster Cheaper

that what starlink is selling. 

X and RCL are selling vacation experiences that with food and energy prices have already challenged what can be charged. I think the daily price right now for internet not on sale is just under 30. People expect great at that price, not slow and spotty.

i think you have overestimated the costs to install. Starlink charges 500 for the equipment and 110 a month for service at retail level. Thats 3-4 bucks a day retail. I bet rcl and x pay less.

the antenna array on the freedom of the seas was I think 28 antenna, albeit those are more costly than retail but cover far more. The 25 gross margin per day per person on a ship averaging 3000 subs yields 62500 gross margin per day. 1.8 mil a month. 72 ships is what, 100 million a month in profit?

not exact but pretty good.

we will know soon. But higher prices bring on diminishing returns.

I was up in  far North Scottdale, where are you? we have large lots

Where do you get 72 ships, I Googled number of ships under RCCL Group and it said 26 ships.

My main argument is that the cruise line will drain every penny they can out of it and their side could say “You are currently paying X amount of dollars for the current product and it is so much better it will now cost X+++ dollars, no matter how little the changeover cost them.

I live in Surprise and I have a bigger lot but I mentioned we have about 10,000 houses that need access.  The company is Wyyerd Fiber out of California.

One mistake, I pay $7 per month less not $7 total.

10 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Where do you get 72 ships, I Googled number of ships under RCCL Group and it said 26 ships.

26 is just Royal Caribbean. Celebrity and Silversea wouldn't get it to 72, but it is somewhere between the two. 

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I bought it for about $100. I’ve had the new provider for over a week now. 300mb download and 290mb upload, verified by several speed check web sites. The modem/router is included in the price. The price is almost $7 per month. This s the same price the four other communities that this company has done before ours. Price is guaranteed for a year.

After years of price gouging by a certain company to remain unnamed, our small city started up its own company to provide "fiber to the home" residential service to its residents.  Monthly prices for symmetrical service (as is yours, apparently, but many are not):

$39.95 for 100Mbps

$69.95 for 1Gbps

$149.95 for 2.5Gbps

$249.95 for 10Gbps

https://mynextlight.com/residential/

Per the city budget, they're not losing money on this service, either, so I wouldn't say that the company servicing your area is probably doing what their doing out of a sense of altruism by offering 300Mbps for $93 a month.

12 hours ago, canderson said:

After years of price gouging by a certain company to remain unnamed, our small city started up its own company to provide "fiber to the home" residential service to its residents.  Monthly prices for symmetrical service (as is yours, apparently, but many are not):

$39.95 for 100Mbps

$69.95 for 1Gbps

$149.95 for 2.5Gbps

$249.95 for 10Gbps

https://mynextlight.com/residential/

Per the city budget, they're not losing money on this service, either, so I wouldn't say that the company servicing your area is probably doing what their doing out of a sense of altruism by offering 300Mbps for $93 a month.

The $93 per month includes premium phone service as all taxes. The base price for internet only is $65, they offer 800mb for $85, 1gig at $95 and 2gig at $150.