Free at Sea Dining

Jane T

We are sailing in October on the Getaway and booked with the Free at Sea dining package. In our paperwork that states "  

• Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 24 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board. " Has anyone else done this? I made reservations at restaurants, but it doesn't connect anything to the Free at Sea dining package and those pre-booking requirements. And the reservations are for people from 3 different rooms, but only our room has the reservation connected to it.  Do we just show up and let the restaurant know about the Free at Sea dining?  Also, can Cagney's outside area be reserved ahead of time or just when we get on the ship? Thanks for any info. 

You will present your card(s) when you check in at the restaurant. The host/hostess will look in the computer and see that you have Free at Sea specialty dining. As for sitting outside at Cagney's that is a request you would make when you check in at Cagney's.

• Like 1

And what they are saying is if you selected free at sea over say a sail away rate, you need to change that within 24 hours of your sailing, not the restaurant reservations themselves. You are free to cancel any reservation you decide you don't want

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jane T said:

We are sailing in October on the Getaway and booked with the Free at Sea dining package. In our paperwork that states "  

• Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 24 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board. " Has anyone else done this? I made reservations at restaurants, but it doesn't connect anything to the Free at Sea dining package and those pre-booking requirements. And the reservations are for people from 3 different rooms, but only our room has the reservation connected to it.  Do we just show up and let the restaurant know about the Free at Sea dining?  Also, can Cagney's outside area be reserved ahead of time or just when we get on the ship? Thanks for any info. 

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your question...

You are a group of three staterooms, with Free at Sea meals as part of your booking(s). Correct?

You made the reservation(s) for the number of people with whom you wish to enjoy the meal(s)?

If these are the facts:

Each guest has Free at Sea meal(s) in their name.  You have reserved Cagney's and wish to dine outside.  And, you each want to "pay" for your meal with your individual dining perk.

Then, the answer to your questions are, YES!

Except, you can only request outdoor seating at the time you show-up for your reservation, and might possibly need to wait for a table to be available.

Hopefully, I answered your questions as needed.

@Jane T

A "Normal" booking allows you to chose to remove either or both of the "Free" Dining Package and the "Free" Beverage Package.   That is what the reference is talking about not the actual booking of the "Free" meals.   Until the last "minute" you are able to remove the "Free" packages and. maybe, get a refund of the Service Charges.   It is not uncommon for those who do not drink enough to even cover the service charges to remove the "Free" Beverage Package.   That is the reason for the option you are offered.

Sail Away does not have those included.

1 hour ago, Jane T said:

• Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 24 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board.

I've never heard of this and I've used FAS meals on many cruises.  You should, as a good practice, have reservations up front in case some restaurants fill up.  But I've flipped restaurants around, showed up early, moved reservations later, etc.  As long as the restaurant can accommodate you, there won't be an issue.  I also routinely make the reservations for friends in a different room.  

Edited by phillygwm

2 hours ago, Jane T said:

Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 24 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board. " Has anyone else done this?

What it means is that your promo choice must me made/finalized at least 24 hours prior to sailing. 

If you want to select or de-select the PBP promo, it must be done more than a day before sailing. Same with the SDP promo. It isn't a restriction on reservations. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the information. Vince_g, Casofilia and Two Wheels Only - I think you are spot on with your interpretations of what the quote is referring to!  I knew I could count on Cruise Critic peeps!!!

Edited by Jane T
missed word
  • Like 1