HAL Gift Card Woes

Roz

I've successfully bought and used HAL gift cards in the past.  The HAL website says "Gift card funds are in US Dollars and can be applied to bookings in US Dollars and any pre-cruise or onboard purchase."

Pay attention to the word "any" in the quoted sentence.  After a frustrating hour, I found out this is not true.  I calculated I needed a gift card for $152.95 to pay for a shorex and 2 transfers.  I put all 3 items in my cart and entered the gift card number and PIN.  It subtracted $99.95 for the shorex, but left a balance due of $53 for the transfers.  When I re-entered the card # and PIN, it said I already used the card.  Checked the balance and it said there was $53 remaining, the amt. I needed to pay for the transfers.  

I thought maybe it didn't like me paying for 2 different things - a shorex and transfers - in one transaction, so I removed the transfers and it allowed me to complete the shorex purchase.  I put the 2 transfers back in the cart and discovered something.  It didn't give me the option of paying with a gift card, only a debit or credit card.  I wonder if this has something to do with the vendors that supply the transfer services?

I'll take the gift card with the $53 balance on it with me on the cruise and have it applied to my onboard account.  Have you ever done this?  I did on my last cruise and it took an act of both Houses of Congress as well as the Canadian Parliament to get it applied.  

I just went to the booking for my upcoming September cruise, clicked on Cruise activities, and on the left-hand side list there is an option to purchase shipboard credit. I then chose an amount of $100, for example, added it to my cart, went to check out and there was an option to add a gift card to pay.

You would not be able to use $53, but you would be able to purchase $50. The other $3 would have to be added on board at guest services. However this may be helpful for others who have gift cards with more even dollar amounts. And personally I think I would give up the three dollars just to not have to wait at guess services and then deal with it!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

I just went to the booking for my upcoming September cruise, clicked on Cruise activities, and on the left-hand side list there is an option to purchase shipboard credit. I then chose an amount of $100, for example, added it to my cart, went to check out and there was an option to add a gift card to pay.

You would not be able to use $53, but you would be able to purchase $50. The other $3 would have to be added on board at guest services. However this may be helpful for others who have gift cards with more even dollar amounts. And personally I think I would give up the three dollars just to not have to wait at guess services and then deal with it!

I looked at purchasing onboard credit, but then thought it would be a wash, other than not having to stand in line to have it applied and it taking so long for them to process the transaction.

8 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

I did my transfer with a gift card.  

I wonder why it wouldn't let me do that?  I tried 3 times.

Found this in the very fine print:

"Travel Planning items are purchased in the currency of your original booking. Gift cards cannot be applied towards Travel Planning items."

Underlining is mine.  That explains it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

Thank you for posting this information.  I had a $200 gift card and thought for sure I'd have to go to guest services to have it applied.  You just saved me a bunch of my vacation time!  🙂  After reading what you wrote, I logged on and purchased my on board credit using my gift card.  Thank you again!!!!

• Like 2

I bought some gift cards a while back when we could do it in Canada at a discount.  I wanted to use one for OBC on our upcoming Alaska cruise, but there was nowhere on my "Manage My Booking" area that gave me the opportunity.  However, when DH went to buy a shore excursion there was the option to use gift cards to pay, so we did that.  Worked like a charm! 😁

41 minutes ago, Roz said:

@Vict0riann, the OBC is under "Gifts" where you can pre-purchase booze, flowers, etc. for yourself or others.

I was hoping to use an existing gift card to purchase OBC.  I couldn’t find a spot to do that.  It said I could buy crew appreciation but we already had that.  I will check again for a future cruise, but for now I’m happy with the shore excursions.  

2 hours ago, Roz said:

For future reference, go to your booking, click on Cruise Activities, then Book Packages & Gifts, and finally Shipboard Credit.  Pay with gift card.

Yes, thanks, I went partway through the process.  I’ll be able to do it next time.  

• Like 1