Epic out of New York 12-23-22

bhayes

We took our first cruise this summer on the Getaway in the Haven. Not sure we will ever go without doing Haven, as it was fantastic. We are looking at doing another one this winter. We are looking at the Epic out of New York on 12-23-22. It starts in New York and ends 7 days later in San Juan. We have never done a trip like this that ended in a different location but really like the idea of starting cold and ending somewhere warm. I have a few questions for anyone that might have some insight. I know it will sail right past the Statue of Liberty but leaving the Port at 5 PM and it being December will the sun be down or will it be that perfect time of evening to see the statue and all the city lights coming on? It has 2 days at sea in order to travel well south to the islands. Will these 2 days be spent inside due to the weather or when could we think about going to the pool/waterslides/outdoors? Also, I have read great and bad reviews of the Epic. It seems like the Haven area is great on this ship and some people like the rest of the ship and to others it is just not their cup of tea. Any thoughts or input from this group? Thanks

• Like 1

The 12/23/22 sailing is round trip from San Juan.  The 12/16/23 leaves from NYC and repositions to San Juan. (You scared me b/c I am on the 12/23/22 sailing)  The sunset in mid December is in the 4:30 range, but the NYC skyline is beautiful at night and the statue will be lit up.  It starts warming up around VA.  Have not been on Epic yet so can't comment on that except Haven is always great imho.

last year we did a harbor cruise past the statue of liberty on December 22- it left the dock at 4:30. It was wonderful seeing all the lights coming on (both the regular city lights, and the holiday lights), and the statue lit up.

So, Leaving out of New York in December can be an amazing experience. first, the sail away past the statue of liberty and also going under the Verrizzano Bridge is also amazing. Your first sea day will be very cool most likely, but going from probably highs in the 30's or 40's, to 1st sea day having highs in the 60s will feel amazing lol.  

2 hours ago, bhayes said:

We took our first cruise this summer on the Getaway in the Haven. Not sure we will ever go without doing Haven, as it was fantastic. We are looking at doing another one this winter. We are looking at the Epic out of New York on 12-23-22. It starts in New York and ends 7 days later in San Juan. We have never done a trip like this that ended in a different location but really like the idea of starting cold and ending somewhere warm. I have a few questions for anyone that might have some insight. I know it will sail right past the Statue of Liberty but leaving the Port at 5 PM and it being December will the sun be down or will it be that perfect time of evening to see the statue and all the city lights coming on? It has 2 days at sea in order to travel well south to the islands. Will these 2 days be spent inside due to the weather or when could we think about going to the pool/waterslides/outdoors? Also, I have read great and bad reviews of the Epic. It seems like the Haven area is great on this ship and some people like the rest of the ship and to others it is just not their cup of tea. Any thoughts or input from this group? Thanks

Take a look at the Getaway in January - February 2023. Its doing a 12 day RT 

Edited by Laszlo