Live from Viking Sky on Mediterannean & Adriatic Sojourn

DrKoob

Day 2—Including our tour of Olympia and dinner at Manfreddi’s

After that long night of lousy sleep due to the firmness (HARD) mattress, I got up and did my usual pre-dawn deck walk. I am a walker and my usual day includes five miles of walking. So I was thrilled to see that the Viking ships have a quarter-mile track on deck 2 all the way around the ship. Did a five miler before breakfast, grabbed my sweetie and we had an excellent breakfast back in the buffet. 

Then it was off on our tour. We had chosen to go beyond the included tour to do one called, "Syrtaki, Greek Food & Ancient Olympia." What we got were two tours. One half was the included tour of hell (oops, I meant Olympia) and the other was absolutely wonderful food and dance experience at Syrtaki. Let me explain.

The included tour was just to the ruins of Olympia. Don't get me wrong, Olympia is fine. But to me, it's basically another big pile of rocks. I go on vacation for two reasons. To meet people in new places and to take pictures. I am a travel photographer. You can see my pics along with my blog at wwwDOTjktravelredmondDOTcom. For this first half of the tour, there wasn't much I could take pictures of. Rock are rocks. Seen one (like on the Acropolis yesterday), and kind of seen them all. I did get a few pics but not great ones. 

When I said that I our tour of Olympia was "hell" it was because of something Viking could not control—the temperature. It was well over 90 in the shade and probably well over 100 in the sun. My lovely bride does not react well to heat so she stayed at the entrance under a shady tree while I did the Bataan Death March of ancient Greek ruins. 

After that we got to experience one of our least favorite things on "luxury coach" tours with a lot of people, we got to wait almost 40 minutes for one couple who was late arriving back to the bus. In fact, our driver drove around trying to find them, thinking they were at another parking lot. Our guide walked all the way back to the ruins (quite a ways) but couldn't find them. Turns out they had tired out coming back and taken a taxi to our next stop by had neglected to tell the guide or the bus driver. So much fun.

Our next stop was the Greek food cooking and tasting part of the excursion. The place we went was beautiful and they jumped right in pouring water and wine and getting food demos started with six from our group making tzatziki. Then another group made zucchini fritters (deep fried) to go with the tzatziki. Finally, the last group rolled out some phyllo dough to make Greek cheese pies (also deep fried). As soon as they had those done they invited everyone to not only eat those but an entire buffet spread. It all looked incredible but since we were going to Manfreddis that night we decided to eat light. We tried a few things and loved them all. 

At this point (realize it is now 5:15 pm and the ship wants everyone back by 6:00) and a troupe of Greek dancers starts to entertain. We thought, OK, they will do two dances and we will be out of here in plenty of time to get back by 6:00 (the ship was about 35 minutes away). But no, they danced right up until 5:45 and the big problem was...they were GREAT! Hilarious. I have to say that everyone had a wonderful time with them. They dragged a bunch of people onto the dance floor and even had some people dancing on the tables. They were outstanding. 

We finally got out of there at 5;45 and the bus raced (he passed four cars in a BIG BUS) back to the ship where we arrived at 6:15. Good thing we were on a Viking excursion. We would do that one again but just like to skip the Olympia part and do the food and dancing first. 

Back on board, it was a quick shower and change of clothes to make a 7:00 pm Manfreddis reservation. We thought...this is it. We will really get to see the best of Viking. Sadly, this was not to be the case. Again we were seated and got bread and water and then about 20 minutes passed and we got wine. We were NOT offered a wine list (I will give you that we did not ask for it because our server came to the table with two bottles of Italian wine and said "red or white"). We will ask in the future. We just got wine. The red was a decent Sangovise and the white a decent Pinot Grigio. 

About 10 minutes later our order was taken. I have to say one of the things I really do not like is the use of the little iPhone/iPods to take orders. I have no problem with technology, I have made my living using it, but this makes the interaction with the server very impersonal. They are so busy looking at the screen that they never acknowledge things that they might see if they are just jotting things down on a pad of paper. We found out that each thing on their device has choices. For instance, let's say I order a steak. They click steak. Then they must choose which steak, then they choose how I want it, then if I want a sauce with it. All of these are choices they have to read, rather than me just telling them I want the ribeye, medium rare. That would take two seconds and they could interact with me while they are doing it but with the devices, their heads are buried in them. And if someone else at the table says, "Oh, that sounds good, I will have that too," it screws up the whole thing. They can't just mark a 2 next to the order, they have to start all over again. Viking is doing themselves a disservice to be using these. 

Again we waited for our appetizers (but not as long as the night before), and they and the entrées arrived when they should. Wine glasses were kept full. The only real complaint about the service was that my brother had been waiting for the fabled Manfreddis' ribeye and when they brought him his, he got a New York steak. This time, instead of asking for the right steak he just ate it so we wouldn't have to wait for him to get his order late to start eating. I should also point out that they had three kinds of sauces to go on the steaks. One was a “balsamic sauce" which I ordered. When it didn't arrive with the steak I asked for it and our server brought me back a small bowl of balsamic vinegar. That's not a sauce. That's vinegar. I didn't realize she had done that and poured in on my steak.

Now let's talk about the food itself. And speaking of the steak, I left about half of my ribeye because a quarter of it was fat and the other quarter was too tough to chew. That's just sad. I also love calamari. I have eaten as two complete courses at Tuscan Grille on Celebrity ships before. I was excited to try Vikings. It was beyond boring. It reminded me of an old snack food that was in the shape of a bugle but tougher. And it was supposed to have a balsamic aioli with it but I couldn't taste any balsamic in it. 

I must admit I had a side of risotto with escargot in it that was the best thing I have eaten since we came on board...right up until I tried the chocolate Amarone dessert that I had. It is the hands-down best chocolate I have ever eaten and I am not a big chocolate eater. Deep, dark and rich. 

It was then off to bed (I did have a mattress topper but it wasn't much better).  Tomorrow (today as I write this) we are in Corfu and it has been a really nice day. More about that tomorrow...I hope.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, miami mama said:

Your picture of the restaurant sign was helpful. I found a sign picture like the one above among those for a tripadvisor restaurant listed in Athens as 5F. 

That's the one. GO THERE! 

15 minutes ago, miami mama said:

If you haven't gotten some kind of mattress topper yet, please do so. This is not an uncommon request. If you already have one and it is not enough, ask for a a second one or speak to the manager to see if there is another solution. We have found people on the ship to be most accomodating and will go the extra two miles to make sure you are well rested and feed. 

Going to get another one tonight.

57 minutes ago, miami mama said:

Your picture of the restaurant sign was helpful. I found a sign picture like the one above among those for a tripadvisor restaurant listed in Athens as 5F. 

I think this is the place.  We will be spending a few nights in Athens before or Nov cruise so this is very helpful!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gXChF8oJQR7ciyZ77?g_st=im

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

I think this is the place.  We will be spending a few nights in Athens before or Nov cruise so this is very helpful!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gXChF8oJQR7ciyZ77?g_st=im

You won't be sorry. I forgot to mention that I do NOT believe they are open for dinner. Only lunch and maybe breakfast. When in Europe we like to make a late lunch our big meal of the day.

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 1

Dr Koob,

You need to ask for the wine list straight away or have one delivered to your suite so that you can see what is offered.

You also need to speak to the Maitre d' and tell him how you want the pace of your meal to go.

Oh and the steak is really like the mattress topper.

If the first one is too firm then ask for another 😁

• Like 2

OK, never thought I would hear the Parthenon described as a pile of rocks.  Really strange for a 'travel photographer'.  Each to there own - but I guess there will be many more piles of rocks during the rest of your cruise.  Hope you find more dancing and local food as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

OK, never thought I would hear the Parthenon described as a pile of rocks.  Really strange for a 'travel photographer'.  Each to there own - but I guess there will be many more piles of rocks during the rest of your cruise.  Hope you find more dancing and local food as well.

Stonehenge 

That's another pile of rocks 😁

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Dr Koob,

You need to ask for the wine list straight away or have one delivered to your suite so that you can see what is offered.

You also need to speak to the Maitre d' and tell him how you want the pace of your meal to go.

Oh and the steak is really like the mattress topper.

If the first one is too firm then ask for another 😁

Totally agree with Mr Luxury. 

Great idea about asking to have a wine list delivered to your suite, especially if one has the SSBP and can order the upgraded wines via room service.

I'm afraid that the service level in the restaurants is not what I would expect from Viking. Obviously the training of some of the crew needs improvement. In regard to the problems in the Restaurant and Manfredi's, I  would first complain to the waiter, then the restaurant manager and if that doesn't do the job, guest services. Posting on a social media site might help as well. I would think that if Viking corporate would learn of these deficiencies, they would institute changes. 

We were on the Sky in March, from Rome to Athens; I don’t know if there was a change in personnel after our cruise, but our cruise was excellent from start to finish. 

We had consistently great meals in The Restaurant; even with masks, we were greeted by numerous servers by name, had excellent service throughout. My only criticism of restaurants would be with the Chef’s Table, which we haven’t liked much on any of the cruises we’ve done—not because of service, but we’ve not been impressed with the fare

We did a post extension in Athens; the Viking guides took us to the Acropolis and museum, and gave us a personal tour throughout, as they did in Delphi and Mycennae. 

My only wish is that Viking still did tours of the ship’s bridge, but my understanding is that Covid put an end to that. I’m hoping it’ll have changed for our upcoming cruise in March through the Panama Canal. 

As to the “pile of rocks,” I wonder why anyone would visit Greece if they see the amazing  sites as piles of rocks. Olympia was one of my favorite sites, in fact. 

Edited by longterm
  • Like 6

I have been cruising for over half a century now and the way to resolve problems whilst on a ship is to go and see the Hotel Director rather than waste too much time trying to get things done and not getting results from hard working staff that might be new and not able to carry out your requests instantly.

• Like 3

Dr. Koob,

I think I have the explanation of your frustration with the wine list at dinner. When the server comes to your table, they already know who you are from your cabin number when you check in. The devices they use have your name, cabin number, food allergies, and whether you have the Silver Spirits Package or not. When they know you have not selected the SSP, they assume (and I bet are right 95% of the time), that it is your intent to drink one of the two wines of the evening. We never get the drinks package, and the only time a wine list has been brought to the table was when we were dining with new friends who do have that. The routine is not the same as in an onshore restaurant , or maybe on other cruise ships. They will accommodate you, I am certain, once they are clear on your wishes. 

I hope your other issues get resolved quickly. I imagine that Viking is still dealing with the staffing shortage that resulted from the pandemic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have been to Olympia two times.  The first on a land tour and then on a cruise excursion.  The first time, I enjoyed seeing this famous place.  There were a lot of rock piles, which our guide told us might be used to recreate their original structure.  On the second visit, eight years later, nothing had changed.  Before my first visit to Greece in 1999, a friend told me that there are a lot of ruined ruins in Greece.  He was right, but there are so many gorgeous structures to see near those ruins.  Having been to many places in Greece, I personally would put Olympia pretty low on the list of beautiful places; but it does require one to visit to experience the famous grounds.

With you being in Corfu today, you should find many photo worthy places to visit.

44 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

I don't know if you have any extra time in Corfu but I had a "fish pedicure" there and it was fun!

No toenail painting involved.. just little fish nibbling at your heels.😃

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SYNkKUaXiJTeaDghd5CGHo?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1444524129

This was banned in the UK a few years ago as there was infection due to bad hygiene practices.

I can recommend treading grapes for wine and it is very therapeutic.

3 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

This was banned in the UK a few years ago as there was infection due to bad hygiene practices.

I can recommend treading grapes for wine and it is very therapeutic.

😉Haahaa yes! And then you can drink what you stomp!🍷

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I did not describe the Parthenon as a pile of rocks. That's how I described Olympia. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MVPinBoynton said:

I have been to Olympia two times.  The first on a land tour and then on a cruise excursion.  The first time, I enjoyed seeing this famous place.  There were a lot of rock piles, which our guide told us might be used to recreate their original structure.  On the second visit, eight years later, nothing had changed.  Before my first visit to Greece in 1999, a friend told me that there are a lot of ruined ruins in Greece.  He was right, but there are so many gorgeous structures to see near those ruins.  Having been to many places in Greece, I personally would put Olympia pretty low on the list of beautiful places; but it does require one to visit to experience the famous grounds.

With you being in Corfu today, you should find many photo worthy places to visit.

Mike,

I think the biggest problem was that the time spent in the 100+ degree heat just to see rocks was really killing people. And the guides were trying to do the same tour they did on a better weather day. 

Remember the guy we had in Danang? Same situation. 

50 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Mike,

I think the biggest problem was that the time spent in the 100+ degree heat just to see rocks was really killing people. And the guides were trying to do the same tour they did on a better weather day. 

Remember the guy we had in Danang? Same situation. 

Now that isn’t a tour guide I would want to repeat. 😱  That and the heat would be your definition of Hell. 

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I think the biggest problem was that the time spent in the 100+ degree heat...

We've been to Greece and her islands many times and try to avoid the peak summer months - much too hot for anything except going to the beach!  We almost always go in early June or mid September when the weather is lovely.  The one time we traveled to Greece in July to attend a family wedding outside of Athens, we combined it with a visit to Skopelos (one of the most northern islands of Greece and very green) and the Pelion peninsula.  It was warm but bearable. 

4 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I did not describe the Parthenon as a pile of rocks. That's how I described Olympia. 

"Rock are rocks. Seen one (like on the Acropolis yesterday), and kind of seen them all. I did get a few pics but not great ones" 

I must have misinterpreted the above line from your interesting live review.  I have so enjoyed the many wonderful "piles of rocks"  all over Greece and the rest of Europe.  I loved  both the newish Acropolis Museum and the National Archaeological museums as well.  Seeing the Parthenon lit up at night is one of my most treasured memories.

I am following your review closely since we get on in Tarragona on the 24th when you get off. It will be  our 4th Viking - postponed from 2022 New Year when the French decided the British were not welcome. We also love Azamara..  Hoping that your experiences in the restaurant improve so following with interest.  

Edited by Mrs Miggins
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

"Rock are rocks. Seen one (like on the Acropolis yesterday), and kind of seen them all. I did get a few pics but not great ones" 

I must have misinterpreted the above line from your interesting live review.  I have so enjoyed the many wonderful "piles of rocks"  all over Greece and the rest of Europe.  I loved  both the newish Acropolis Museum and the National Archaeological museums as well.  Seeing the Parthenon lit up at night is one of my most treasured memories.

I am following your review closely since we get on in Tarragona on the 24th when you get off. It will be  our 4th Viking - postponed from 2022 New Year when the French decided the British were not welcome. We also love Azamara..  Hoping that your experiences in the restaurant improve so following with interest.  

Our trip from Rome to Athens sticks out for me as my favorite; we went in March, when the weather was cool; in fact, it snowed the day we were at Delphi in Greece. By the time we finished the trip, we'd been to about a dozen ancient sites, including those in Rome, then Pompeii, and finally in Greece, and each of them seemed to offer something unique and worth visiting. 

On our post extension in Athens, we did a day trip up to Delphi; even with the snowy blustery weather, and a 2-hour drive, Delphi was well worth the trip up there, and was one of my favorite sites. Looking down from the ruins to a valley filled with thousands of olive trees, visiting the excellent museum there, walking among the ruins--was a particularly great day and one that I highly recommend.

We enjoyed Olympia as well; seeing the site of the 1st Games, walking among the ruins; part of the excursion was a visit to an olive farm after--designed for tourists to be sure, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

In one of the photos below you can see the thousands of olive trees in the valley below Delphi.

IMG_2018.jpeg

IMG_2016.jpeg

• Like 3

A couple of photos from Olympia and the Parthenon; having lived in Nashville for 34 years and seeing the exact replica of the Parthenon in Centennial Park, it was amazing to see the real thing in all its glory. It was a cold windy day when we were there; we got to the area early with our Viking guide, beating the crowds, so I was able to stragically snap some photos without lots of people in them. 

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_5209.JPG

• Like 2

A little more on Viking Sky and our visit to Corfu

A good friend commented on my post yesterday and said that maybe I shouldn't have walked away from Celebrity so fast. Which made me think that I have been letting you all think I am totally unhappy with Viking. I am not. This is what I told my friend:

No, we will never go back to X. Everything on Viking has been great except the two sit-down restaurants. Hands down the most beautiful ship I have ever sailed on; other than the Neptune Suite, we had on HAL the best stateroom ever, excellent and fast internet, incredible buffet, superb service everywhere except the sit-down dining rooms, and that's just because their restaurant systems are all screwed up. The public spaces are wonderful. Viking Ocean is head and shoulders above Celebrity. It's probably just me that has to get used to the Viking ways.

There is a lot to like about Viking, and we are not totally turned off, but at least one more thing has happened that is a kind of a dark mark. Let's get that out of the way. Kathleen got food poisoning. She was beyond sick last night and pretty much is feeling a little better as I write this on Tuesday in Kotor, Montenegro. The night before last (as you may remember), we went to Manfreddi's for dinner. Kathleen had the swordfish. It is the only thing she has had to eat for the last few days that someone else in our group has not eaten. It's not the flu or any other virus. Those aren't as violent and really mess you up and then just go away. We have been together before when she has gotten food poisoning, and this is what we are sure it is. Bad fish is bad fish. Could have gotten that anywhere. Not really Viking's fault.

Let's talk Corfu. We found it to be a pleasant little island. We were doing a Viking-included tour that took us out to one end of the island where we could take pictures of some truly beautiful sites and their airport (located in a truly crazy place) and then back to the center of the city to get out and tour and then walk on our own before returning to the ship. We totally enjoyed Corfu. Check out the pics at wwwDOTredmondtravelDOTcom.