Carnival Luminosa Sept 14, 2023 Transpacific Seattle to Brisbane

16 hours ago, sfjakey said:

We had a meeting of the minds and we are booked Frank and Sarah from San Francisco.  Safe travels.

Welcome Frank and Susan , look forward to meeting you. We are anxious to take this cruise. Will probably take ship tours in Japan. Want to see so much and will be watching for tours to appear. This cruise will be the longest we have taken. We have done a 21 day cruise and it had several sea days. We enjoyed the games and cabin crawl. I am thinking this will be a great ship, has anyone sailed on it before Carnival purchased it? Mary and Jim

2ashevillesaiors - Hi Jim and Mary:  Thanks for the welcome.  We have been on cruises of equal lengths - around South American and on B2B's.   I will starting doing some research  trying to arrange private tours and form a group and if I can't find anything,  I will use the the ship's tours too.  We have been to Japan before on a TP with Princess.   It was my understanding that this was a NEW SHIP and someone else,  that carnival purchased----- Safe travels, Frank and Sarah

On 9/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, sfjakey said:

2ashevillesaiors - Hi Jim and Mary:  Thanks for the welcome.  We have been on cruises of equal lengths - around South American and on B2B's.   I will starting doing some research  trying to arrange private tours and form a group and if I can't find anything,  I will use the the ship's tours too.  We have been to Japan before on a TP with Princess.   It was my understanding that this was a NEW SHIP and someone else,  that carnival purchased----- Safe travels, Frank and Sarah

Carnival purchased it from Costa. It is going into dry dock for a re do in October for I think 2 months. We will be anxious to hear from you on private tours. Our email is maryslaughter67@gmail.com if you have any questions. Thanks Mary and Jim

Thanks for info regarding Carnival Luminosa ---I have spend 2-4 hours looking at the ports for tours and have found nothing yet -- will continue looking.  We are considering doing the next cruise(B2B) - 7 day - Brisbane RT because it goes to the Great Barrier Reef.  We were planning to go there on own but it might be easier to take the cruise.  Then take a train to Sidney and fly home.  Safe travels, Frank and Sarah  (Cheerytrekker@yahoo.com)

Happy Saturday!  We booked the 30 Day Transpacific then decided to add the Great Barrier Reef, glad to see others are doing the same.  We're very excited and already researching, planning and waiting for excursions to be posted.  This will be our first time to Australia!  Our longest cruise so far has been 33 days, B2B2B, 2 Med Cruises and a Transatlantic.  

Frank and Sarah, we also plan to also take the train to Sydney and fly home after a 7 day stay in Sydney.

I've been researching food options, besides the dining room, on the Luminoso.... looks like Burgers (No Guys), Pizza, Deli and BBQ and the only specialty restaurant is the steakhouse.  Maybe I missed something and hope they add another specialty restaurant.  

Has anyone sailed Australia before?  I'm also wondering why on my booking for the GBR we can't make any purchases until onboard, anyone know why?

We are Pam & Mike, from Florida 

PSCPA - Mike and Pam - welcome aboard - In 2011 we took a Princess Cruise from LA to Sidney and stayed at the Mercantile (The Mercantile Hotel Sydney Visit website Phone (02) 9247 3570 Address 25 George St, The Rocks) It's historical Irish Pub.  - Different! Music every night (we stayed on 2nd fl in the back) - no elevator/not a problem as you can entry by the side entrance and avoid the stairs. -   not 5 star, but enjoyed ourselves and a great location.  Airport pick-up was 1/2 block away.  Don't know if that is still  the case.

If you come up with a private tour with the ports after Alaska ( I am looking)Jim and Mary might be interested -  2ashevillesaiors.

If we take the train, we will spend the night in Brisbane because the train leaves around 5am and arrives in Sidney around 2000 hours.  This way we can see some of the country side.  Otherwise, the train leaves around 1500 hours and most of your looking will be in the dark.  I think it'sa15 hour trip by train. Driving 924 KM (574 miles) Flying 733KM (455 miles)

You have the Bonsai Sushi Express - It's like a take-out.

Hope some of this helped

Safe ravel and stay healthy- Frank and Sarah - San Frrancisco

We are booked on this cruise and really looking forward to seeing new ports.  We just got back from a 6-week trip to Europe and cruising on the Carnival Pride.  I haven't had a chance to look at any of the ports yet as I am still trying to put together tours for the TA on the Celebration that is less than 2 months away. I usually have out tours figured out months in advance. YIKES!

We like to go on private tours so hoping there are some good ones out there.  If not, we will book with Carnival.

We will be going to Sydney after the cruise.  Not sure for how long yet but no less than 4 days.  Then the plan is to fly to Hawaii to break up the trip since we are from Florida.

We are Clark and Mary from Fort Myers, Florida

Thanks for the information sfjakey, I'll look into the Mercantile and you are right about the train time...spending the night in Brisbane seems to be the way to go to see the countryside during the day.

Welcome Clark and Mary belkin, that's quite a busy schedule, good for you!  We are booked on the Celebration in January and look forwarding to sailing the newest in the Carnival fleet.  I like your idea of flying to Hawaii after....might have to think about that 🙂

We've not been to Japan and will consider Carnival excursions and researching private tours.  Hopefully with those of us looking, we can find some and share with the group. 

On 9/7/2022 at 10:33 PM, sfjakey said:

Thanks for info regarding Carnival Luminosa ---I have spend 2-4 hours looking at the ports for tours and have found nothing yet -- will continue looking.  We are considering doing the next cruise(B2B) - 7 day - Brisbane RT because it goes to the Great Barrier Reef.  We were planning to go there on own but it might be easier to take the cruise.  Then take a train to Sidney and fly home.  Safe travels, Frank and Sarah  (Cheerytrekker@yahoo.com)

Hello, we have just booked the 30 and then the following 7 day B2B. We have been on a 21 day and are really looking forward to this. We are also interested in private tours. Looking forward to meeting you all on board! maureenc1010@aol.com

Maureen and Zoli

Pinal County AZ

I think we have of 3 -4 couples who are doing B2B ( TP and Great Barrier Reef) .   I would like to suggest we form a small group and look together to develop  private tours at the different ports, especially for Japan.  There could be some duplication on our parts, but with many eyes and different ideas we should come up with some good ideas/tours. ` We have a year  --  Any comments are welcome.

If you are interested add your name and email:

1. Frank and Sarah (SF) sfjakey  - cheerytrekker@yahoo.com   (Shopping is a low priority)

Note: You can add what type of tour you prefer and if there are any mobility issues,  so we can find tours that work for the whole group.  Thanks - Safe travels, Frank and Sarah

This morning I read a post regarding cabin receptacles being changed from Italian to Australian Type I.  This baffles me as the Luminoso will also be sailing from the US to Alaska.  Perhaps they will provide both 110 outlets and Australian Type 1?  Guess we will learn more once she starts sailing.

In the mean time, we checked the electronics we will take with us (cell phones, laptop, hair crimper, hair dryer) and it seems for the most part we only require an adaptor plug while my hair dryer would need a reducer due to wattage.  

Any additional thoughts on this?  

A little handy tool.  Go by Walmart and buy one of these adapters for your cabin.  This works  like a charm and gives you an additional three plugs in the room.  Comes in handy when you have to charge multiple phones, iPads, etc.  If I remember correctly it only costs less than $5 and takes very little room in luggage.  

AD3FDAF4-B00A-4401-B9AD-97F6FBAF8CCE.jpeg

3798C1D0-B4BB-4334-B452-4A02116749AA.jpeg

• Like 1

PSRCPA - Mike and Pam:   Possible hotel near train station for Sidney (.2 miles from station - 8 minute walk from hotel -  walk time/distance from hotel web site) Don't know the availability of a taxi/UBER at  4 to 4:30am.  Use Booking.com for best rate.

Park Regis North Quay

293 North Quay, Brisbane Central Business District, 4000 Brisbane, Australia

• Like 1

So much good information being shared already!  sfjakey - thanks for the hotel suggestion, walking with luggage may be a challenge....LOL  I'll check out the hotel.

I watched a video John Heald posted on the Luminoso, I now understand how the receptacles work and happy to see the USB ports next to the bed.  We always bring a cube with additional plug ins and USB ports which should be fine.  Thanks to all who had input.

PSRCP - We have the same concerns regarding walking with the luggage.  The big problem is time of the train and the availability of transport to the station.  (Will try and contact hotel about early morning  transport)  As of now we will have 3 bags and CPAP.   The amount of luggage could change as there are no formal night and we will have some free laundry.  We might end up with one bag each plus CPAP.   We are seniors.  Safe travels

I found this regarding Uber:

"Reserve a ride with Uber in advance in Brisbane

Complete your plans today by reserving a ride with Uber in Brisbane. Request a ride up to 30 days in advance, at any time and on any day of the year"

An estimate from the International Cruise Terminal, where the Carnival website shows, and the hotel at 293 North Quay was $60 AUS. And from hotel to train station $11 AUS.

This the response I received from hotel Park Regis -  we are 45 mins from the International cruise terminal and a short walk from Roma Street Transit Center.  We do not offer a pick up or drop off service.  

sfjakey - what constitutes "seniors"....lol   We may qualify also 😀 

PSRCPA-  Mike and Pam:  I am 81 and my wife, Sarah, is 75.   I have not heard back from hotel.  We are off next Tuesday for 12 days on the Princess Royal out of San Francisco - 20-30 minutes to the dock pending on the traffic. Safe travels, Frank