Carnival Luminosa Sept 14, 2023 Transpacific Seattle to Brisbane

On 12/12/2022 at 4:39 PM, sfjakey said:

We have finalized our return plans back to San Francisco.  We will be getting off the Luminosa on October 29, 2023 (44 days) and staying in Brisbane for 2 nights.  (Need to find a hotel) On Oct. 31 we have booked a direct non-stop flight from Brisbane to San Francisco  - 13 hours on UAL.  Any suggestion for hotel and tours or things to do qnd see?  Thanks, Safe travels, Frank and Sarah

Frank and Sarah which airline are you using?  Mary and Jim

2ashevillesailors - Jim and Mary:  United Airlines -- put up the monthly calendar and see the price or miles range.  You can book a flight 330 days out - we were on a cruise to Hawaii when that day occurred.  We originally booked  a flight for Sunday, Oct. 29 the day we got off the ship(Brisbane to Taiwan -10hrs + 5 hrs layover then to SFO 10hrs. --  44K miles each plus less than $200)  When we went to our son's home in Oahu, I check the flights again  and a Tuesday non-stop direct flight was available from Brisbane for 40K miles each. (We changed flights with NO problems)  We will be staying in Brisbane for 2 night  and look around.  We had visited Sidney a few years back.  I knew about the Tuesday flight (cost and miles changed on different days but want to make sure we had something so that is why I booked the first flight.  We are very happen with our arrangements and the extra days in Brisbane.  Let me know how you do -- Thanks - Safe travels and stay healthy, Frank and Sarah 

The small balcony chairs are uncomfortable.  For a long transpacific cruise, suggest passengers with a balcony purchase a large square cushion, with a handle from a discount shop.  I also took a small soft rectangle cushion, which I take on long flights.  I used my balcony in comfort every day.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 12:44 AM, belkin said:

We are most likely going to stay at the Crown Plaza at the airport which I already have booked. We are planning on taking a taxi to port.  I have spent several months working in Seattle over the last couple of years and don't have much desire to see the downtown area as it has really gone downhill in my opinion.

How is it near Pikes Market? Have always loved gong there, worried it has gone downhill? Mary

On 12/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, 2ashevillesailors said:

How is it near Pikes Market? Have always loved gong there, worried it has gone downhill? Mary

We have been trying to book a flight with Carnival from Brisbane to Asheville,NC. We are able to book it ourselves which is Brisbane to Sydney, Then Sydney to Dallas Ft Worth then Dallas Ft Worth to Asheville, with no problem. They say that our travel agent Cruises Only has to place the flights with Carnival, not us doing it. We are not allowed to book the flights with them ourselves. Said their system will not take it, can not do a one way ticket. I have never heard such nonsense. We have cruised over 60 times and we haved booked with the cruise line air departments. We have taken many Transpacific and Transatlantic cruises and don one way flights.  Is anyone else having this problem? We want to book with Carnival, since we are getting off of the ship and flying home in Brisbane. If there are any problems then Carnival could handle it.  I don't think I want to get off of the ship 1/2 way around the world and if there are delays, etc. I would have the cruise line handling it.  Mary and Jim

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

2ashevillesailors - Jim and Mary:  Hope all works out for you.  DFW is a nice airport and easy to get around.  We were just there for the Christmas Holidays visiting our daughter and family. 

We used Carnival for air from San Francisco to Seattle on the morning of the cruise.  Don't see a problem because of some many flights if there is a problem with ours.  Coming back to SFO from Brisbane, non-stop,  on Oct. 29 will only be a 13 hour flight - we were lucky using miles with UAL.   Safe travels  Frank and Sarah

On 1/5/2023 at 4:30 AM, 2ashevillesailors said:

We have been trying to book a flight with Carnival from Brisbane to Asheville,NC. We are able to book it ourselves which is Brisbane to Sydney, Then Sydney to Dallas Ft Worth then Dallas Ft Worth to Asheville, with no problem. They say that our travel agent Cruises Only has to place the flights with Carnival, not us doing it. We are not allowed to book the flights with them ourselves. Said their system will not take it, can not do a one way ticket. I have never heard such nonsense. We have cruised over 60 times and we haved booked with the cruise line air departments. We have taken many Transpacific and Transatlantic cruises and don one way flights.  Is anyone else having this problem? We want to book with Carnival, since we are getting off of the ship and flying home in Brisbane. If there are any problems then Carnival could handle it.  I don't think I want to get off of the ship 1/2 way around the world and if there are delays, etc. I would have the cruise line handling it.  Mary and Jim

Does this mean you need to book your cruise with the cruise line, not a TA?  I had decided if I cruise overseas again I'd book direct with the cruise line for the very reasons you stated.

Booked this cruise yesterday. Looking forward to another transpacific cruise. This one that is including Japan will tick off a few more of the bucket list 🙂 Any questions about Luminosa I may be able to answer as I was on the transpacific last year and also the cruise before to Alaska and the following 4 cruises (B2B2B2B2B2B) I'm also onboard next month for another 11 days.  Sharon

On 1/6/2023 at 6:52 AM, Ausgirl101 said:

Booked this cruise yesterday. Looking forward to another transpacific cruise. This one that is including Japan will tick off a few more of the bucket list 🙂 Any questions about Luminosa I may be able to answer as I was on the transpacific last year and also the cruise before to Alaska and the following 4 cruises (B2B2B2B2B2B) I'm also onboard next month for another 11 days.  Sharon

Have you been on the Luminosa? I heard they were re-decorating it after purchasing it from Costa? I have seen pictures, of when it was with Costa and it was very nice. Mary

Hi Folks, we (John and Donna) have just booked this cruise to return home to Brisbane. We haven't cruised with Carnival before, but have two Caribbean cruises back to back from Galveston with Carnival in August. Heading to the states on Grand Princess in April.

Edited by Lucyloo

On 1/15/2023 at 5:50 AM, Lucyloo said:

Hi Folks, we (John and Donna) have just booked this cruise to return home to Brisbane. We haven't cruised with Carnival before, but have two Caribbean cruises back to back from Galveston with Carnival in August. Heading to the states on Grand Princess in April.

Welcome John and Donna to this cruise, it is going to be a great experience. We (Mary and Jim) will have several sea days for relaxing, doing cabin crawl, slot pull or just reading books. We are happy about the ports in Japan, have been looking at tours by Viator, which is part of Trip Advisor (I think). Saw a couple that we like, trying to figure out how to get more information from them. One area of their site, they said if we hae more adults wanting to do the tour the price would be lower. Also have not found info for cruisers. I am thinking that they would pick us up at the cruise port, just trying to verify that is so. I will get back with more information. Mary

On 1/5/2023 at 9:53 PM, MMDown Under said:

Does this mean you need to book your cruise with the cruise line, not a TA?  I had decided if I cruise overseas again I'd book direct with the cruise line for the very reasons you stated.

No you can do it either way. We usually use the same Cruise travel agent now. Finally found one that we really like, actually get a quick responce when we leave a message. Tired of waiting 3 to 5 days for an answer. One company said leave a message and we will try to get back to you in a week to 10 days! I do not call that service. We are very happy with the company we use now. Mary

On 1/18/2023 at 1:15 PM, 2ashevillesailors said:

No you can do it either way. We usually use the same Cruise travel agent now. Finally found one that we really like, actually get a quick responce when we leave a message. Tired of waiting 3 to 5 days for an answer. One company said leave a message and we will try to get back to you in a week to 10 days! I do not call that service. We are very happy with the company we use now. Mary

What we do not like with Carnival you have to let your TA speak with Carnival flight department, not you. I like to go over flight times and seat assignments and talk with the flight department myself. Can not do that with Carnival, they will only talk to the TA if you are using one. Never had this problem with many other cruise lines that we use. They wanted us to fly into Seattle at 8:50pm. We are staying at the port area and did not want to arrive that late, not knowing what it is like near Pikes Market in Seattle. So we booked air on our own.

On another note, is anyone planning on organzing a cabin crawl for our cruise on a sea day? Have never been on a Costa ship, the pictures we have seen, it looks very nice. Mary

On 12/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, 2ashevillesailors said:

Hello Belkin, you stated you have worked in Seattle quite a bit. We are arriving mid day the day before sailing. What is the best way to get to the ddock area? We are staying at Marriott close to where our ship will be. Thanking you in advance Mary and Jim

Hello Everyone!  Our family has booked two cabins for this journey.  One is my parents (F-72 / M-75) and the other is for myself and my adult son (F-51 / M-27).  My son and I are both incredibly excited for this trip, and even better that my parent will also be on board.  Epic family vacation!! 🙂  

My son and I especially, love to cruise! We love port days and seeing the sights, but we also love just hanging out on board the ship. We both are big fans of strategic board games, so on sea days you will be sure to find us at a table somewhere on the Lido with our large, complicated looking board games spread out on a table😂

Longest cruise to date for us has been a 16-day Hawaiian Journeys cruise on the Carnival Legend.  Mom and Dads longest cruise to date was a 21-day Panama Canal cruise with HAL.

Can't wait to add this to the ledger!!! 🤩

Hello Everyone,

We are three sisters who traveled from Seattle to Sydney last September on the Splendor.  23 days, it was awesome!!  I hope this trip will be just as much fun!

Was anyone else on this roll call on that cruise last year?

Brenda

47 minutes ago, Rick1951 said:

Hello Everyone,

We are three sisters who traveled from Seattle to Sydney last September on the Splendor.  23 days, it was awesome!!  I hope this trip will be just as much fun!

Was anyone else on this roll call on that cruise last year?

Brenda

Welcome Brenda and Marsha, looking forward to meeting ya'll. This is going to be a great cruise. Mary

On 1/17/2023 at 3:45 AM, 2ashevillesailors said:

Welcome John and Donna to this cruise, it is going to be a great experience. We (Mary and Jim) will have several sea days for relaxing, doing cabin crawl, slot pull or just reading books. We are happy about the ports in Japan, have been looking at tours by Viator, which is part of Trip Advisor (I think). Saw a couple that we like, trying to figure out how to get more information from them. One area of their site, they said if we hae more adults wanting to do the tour the price would be lower. Also have not found info for cruisers. I am thinking that they would pick us up at the cruise port, just trying to verify that is so. I will get back with more information. Mary

Thanks Mary and Jim. Looking forward to catching up.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:02 AM, Lucyloo said:

Lucyloo

On 1/30/2023 at 2:02 AM, Lucyloo said:

Lucyloo, I see that you live in Australia. Have you been to Brisbane? If so how close is the port to the airport?

We are doing a B2BB2BB2B - Carnival unable to live Sept. 14 with Oct. 15 because International Date line causing a problem with their computer and date changes.  There were able to link Oct. 15 with Oct. 22.   When onboard, I understand, they will be able to link all three together.  Safe travels

On 2/1/2023 at 5:09 AM, 2ashevillesailors said:

how close is the port to the airport?

About 12km (or 8 miles). There is no public transport, only taxi, uber and whatever shuttle buses the cruise line may (or may not) provide. Taxi would be around A$30-$40 each way. There are no facilities at the port or anywhere around it.

Gday all,

My wife Jane and myself live on the coast between Sydney and Newcastle in Oz.

Flying out of Sydney early September staying in Honolulu for 5-6 days before landing in Seattle. Will then look around there for 5-6 days also before boarding on the 14th.

We have done 4 trips before with Carnival out of Sydney longest being 11 days to South Pacific Islands.

If we can help with any info regarding the east coast of OZ ask away.

Looking forward to saying hi to all and we will probably have a few questions re Seattle and Honolulu as it will be our first time to the US.

Gaz & Jane

Hi everyone, so super excited for this cruise 😁 Tony and Denise here from Rhode Island. Yes, two ppl from the smallest state going on such an epic cruise. 

Hoping we can tag team w a couple of other peeps and not get too lost lmao. So far we have arranged a tour for Tokyo and it’s for six ppl, so four spots remain. I would pay in advance and collect from you once onboard. This one is $100 USD per person and it spells out like this…

“Visiting today's most charming spots of Tokyo, feel the beat of this attractive city, guided by your experienced private guide. Through Tokyo's meticulously organized train/subway system we will cover not only the hot spots like Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Asakusa or Akihabara but also any spot you would like to see.

We can tailor arrange our visiting spots according to your group's specific interest. If you have any other specific spot of interest than the listed spots, that will be added or substituted.
Note: Sumo training house visit is not a part of this tour.

As Tokyo is such a big city, it takes 2. 5 days to cover major tourism spots. Please select 4 to 5 spots for a day. We use public transportation and walk 2 to 3 ml(4 to 6 km) depending on the selected course.”

since we get to choose four spots, each couple would choose one they like to see ❤️ please notate that it takes public transport, so please be willing to do that and all that that may entail 😊 Also, it was specified that the public transport would be our individual cost, I think it’s quite minimal. They suggested $20 USD for subway and lunch costs.

EEEK, Can Not Wait. 

I’m gonna look for a group tour for the underground cave systems in Puerto Princesa also, if anyone wants to tag along

2002EE6F-210C-42E1-B48B-5B5AAF7954D7.jpeg

On 2/1/2023 at 5:09 AM, 2ashevillesailors said:

Lucyloo

Lucyloo, I see that you live in Australia. Have you been to Brisbane? If so how close is the port to the airport?

The new cruise terminal at Pikenba is about 20 minutes by car from Domestic or International Terminals (around 10 miles). We travel around Australia in our caravan, but have two daughters who live in Brisbane (we use their address on our drivers licence), but am familiar with Brisbane.

Edited by Lucyloo
Update answer