Tours in non-native language

MarinCutler

Hello ,

Has anyone ever experienced one of NCL's tours in their non-native language?

Booked close to departure of a Canada/NE cruise as a native English speaker and only French and German language tours are available.

If you've experienced this, Was it enjoyable to still go to the destination even if in your non-native language?

I'm looking to go to Peggy's Cove. Would I miss out on much context if it's not in my native language?

16 minutes ago, MarinCutler said:

Hello ,

Booked close to departure of a Canada/NE cruise as a native English speaker and only French and German language tours are available.

If you've experienced this, Was it enjoyable to still go to the destination even if in your non-native language?

I'm looking to go to Peggy's Cove. Would I miss out on much context if it's not in my native language?

We feel your dilemma with the language situation. We sailed there on a Cunard Ship which ran all English tours. Our tour speaker was a native of NS and was very learnered.

The drive from Halifax to Peggy's Cove is very countryish ride. She reviewed the area and history of Halifax. Peggy's Cove is a rocky hilly fishing village. At the end is the famous Lighthouse. Also a gift shop/ restaurant.  Some ships also go to the Maple Company and show a video of the process. We even bought some candy. Peggy's Cove is very rocky to walk. The lighthouse is the key sight for many taking photographs. 

2 hours ago, MarinCutler said:

Several years ago we booked a cruise with Coopérative de Transport Maritime et Aérien (CTMA), one-way from Montréal to St-Pierre et Miquelon. Everything was in French. It was fine if you're willing to recognize that everything may not be as responsive for an anglophone as with a cruise in English. All the services were provided, and at worst you miss out on some of the nuances, that chit-chat, that may be in French only. However, there is a difference between our French cruise and a non-English tour in that the French cruise was marketed to both francophones and anglophones, and the crew did all they could to accommodate those of us who spoke English (seeming just my wife and myself!). On a tour, however, there may not be as much effort made to accommodate those who only speak English.

It is likely that you would be able to get important tour information communicated to you in English (especially for a German language tour, likely but somewhat less probable so for a French language tour in New Brunswick or Québec), but there may be some resentment from both tour guide and other tour participants if language repetition becomes excessive. The tour guide might speak in German or French for 10 minutes, then give you a 30 second translation in English. In short, it should work if the tour is mostly sightseeing, as opposed to oral interpretation of the sights. If you can arrange for an independent tour in English you would be best served, but if the only tours being offered are those arranged by the cruise line, and only non-English tours remain, then you should be able to get by . . . just don't expect to receive full value.